Clutch plates 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch plates 101

My clutch slips on my XJ11, not bad but it will 100% of the time when I WOT at 5K & up. It did this when I bought the bike but never having this powerful of a bike before I thought it was because of the acceleration I got at that time; that fast increasing RPM change was involved in some screwy but impressive power curve response. Hey, live & learn, right?... Anyway, the slippage is worse after 4.5K of riding. Fortunately there's no gear slippage issues so far, just clutch. I don't shift hard but I do like to crank the throttle once in awhile once I'm solidly in a gear.

OK so now's the time to decide what to do. I've read & heard that replacing the old stock springs with performance springs alone will be sufficient to both stop the slippage but also to remove the need to replace any friction plates. I ordered a set of Barnett clutch springs & they are set aside to put in. I looked around for the prices of regular friction plates and found different prices; from one major supplier to the XJ world they are $80 for 8 of the hard cork variety. From another internet vendor I found the Barnett Kevlar friction plates ( 301-90-10005 ) are $98 for 8, a $18 difference.

So is there a benefit I'd see from the Kevlar plates? I mean, bulletproof vests & my dental floss are Kevlar & that's sure stronger than cork... But is there an advantage a non racer will see & also, is there a disadvantage to Kevlar friction plates I might expect?

The Barnett metal plates ( 401-90-078020 ) are $35 for 7 & if I'm changing friction plates, should I replace the metal ones as well with the Barnett matching set?

Any thoughts from prior experience with these?

Thanks!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

You probably don't need any other clutch parts other than the Barnett springs. You already have the springs, put them in. It takes about a half hour or 45 minutes and I can almost guarantee that will solve the problem completely.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Not sure how many miles you have on the clutch but unless you are approaching a billion your frictions are probably in spec. Measure them before you just get rid of them. Thickness should be .12" and .11" is the wear limit (according to Clymers). So if your frictions are over .11", keep them. I have no experience with Kevlar plates.

I solved my clutch slipping problems with some EBC heavy springs and removing any burnishing from the steels with some wet-n-dry sandpaper. Then there is always the extra steel trick to add depth to the pack if your frictions are getting close to the wear limit. Both cheap fixes.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

After 5000 miles of slipping I would bet the steels are glazed over (sand them some to fix) and the frictions could be bad, but check first.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

+1 Gregs statement. Also make dern sure it is adjusted correctly at the clutch throw-out bearing BEFORE attaching cable!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey there KA1J,

I didn't see in your signature list of work/mods what OIL you are using? Not wanting to turn this into another oil thread, but with a weak/marginal clutch assembly...and yours IS...slipping, so Full Synth type oils have been reported to aggravate this slippage.

As stated, you probably have glazed steels. If been running synth, would recommend getting some inexpensive regular motor oil....30 weight even, to drain synth, refill with cheap stuff, and then add several ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil, good for removing varnish, and could help flush the remaining affects of the synth out/off the frictions. Just run the engine on idle, NO LOAD or revving/riding, just up to warm up temp, usually 5-10 minutes...fan across headers/engine. Then drain cheap/MMO blend, then take clutch cover off to proceed with clutch work. As stated, wet/dry sandpaper/emory cloth to the steels. The frictions in MM's 3.00 to 2.80 min wear limit.

If you need to replace, check out www.partsnmore.com, they have them for like $5.00 a plate...only $40-50 a set.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

[QUOTE=TADracer;355837]Thickness should be .12" and .11" is the wear limit (according to Clymers). So if your frictions are over .11", keep them. QUOTE]

I clean the plates (to remove oil film thickness) and stack them for the total thickness, then divide by the number of plates...or of course you can become intimate with your caliper meter tool!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                I clean the plates (to remove oil film thickness) and stack them for the total thickness, then divide by the number of plates...or of course you can become intimate with your caliper meter tool!
                So, if you have 3 XS400s you actually have an XS1200?
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

As far as cleaning the steels go, as long as they are not burnt blue, Simply put them in a bath of Evapo-rust for a couple of hours. They will come out looking brand new. Any tarnish, deposits unknown etc will be gone and all you have to do is rinse them with water before re-installation. No need for sanding, rubbing or general wishing, it simply works. It will take about a quart "or in other terms 8 bucks worth" to do the job. Then you still have the evapo-rust for other jobs. Amazing stuff with many uses.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Miles?

Didnt see the miles on the bike. If it has been slipping for some time and run hard durring the slipping, you could have burned up the clutchs, but very unlikly in these bikes. Follow TC's clean out the crank case stuff, put in the new springs if the discs dont looked fried, refill with "motorcycle" 20w50 oil, adjust the clutch at the case, then at the handlebar and should be 100% good IMHO Good luck with your bike
                    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1990 V Max
                    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Dagnabit... I had a reply that answered everything above & the computer locked & I lost it all... @#$%

In short... The PO was less than forthcoming about the history so I don't know how it was for it's first 18K It now has 23K & I put that on last year. At first it only slipped under WOT ataround 6.5K & up under WOT, never in normal driving.

Around 400 miles ago I put in Amsoil, the same wet clutch type I use in my XJ650 Maxim & the 650 never has slipped at all. With the XJ11 though, that little slippage at the highest RPMs became more noticeable and at a slightly lower RPM. I quickly replaced the amsoil with 20-50 Castrol wet clutch oil which is in there now. It didn't make the slippage act like it did before changing oil. I've never run it hard when the clutch slipped, I always backed off immediately.

Thanks to the help here on XS11.com I've been able to do a tremendous amount on this bike without extra hands but I'm a bit hesitant to do the clutch without assistance. If I saw it done once or had a guide with me I'd feel better about it. Seems like the best easy thing is to replace the springs with the Barnett ones & see if that fixes the issue. I'd really though prefer not to go back into it & do it over again if changing the springs wasn't enough.

Details, details...
                      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
                        Dagnabit... I had a reply that answered everything above & the computer locked & I lost it all... @#$%

In short... The PO was less than forthcoming about the history so I don't know how it was for it's first 18K It now has 23K & I put that on last year. At first it only slipped under WOT ataround 6.5K & up under WOT, never in normal driving.

Around 400 miles ago I put in Amsoil, the same wet clutch type I use in my XJ650 Maxim & the 650 never has slipped at all. With the XJ11 though, that little slippage at the highest RPMs became more noticeable and at a slightly lower RPM. I quickly replaced the amsoil with 20-50 Castrol wet clutch oil which is in there now. It didn't make the slippage act like it did before changing oil. I've never run it hard when the clutch slipped, I always backed off immediately.

Thanks to the help here on XS11.com I've been able to do a tremendous amount on this bike without extra hands but I'm a bit hesitant to do the clutch without assistance. If I saw it done once or had a guide with me I'd feel better about it. Seems like the best easy thing is to replace the springs with the Barnett ones & see if that fixes the issue. I'd really though prefer not to go back into it & do it over again if changing the springs wasn't enough.

Details, details...
                        One of the issues I've heard with these clutches is that they don't like to have the TYPE of oil changed on them. So once thats done they may never stop slipping. If that's the case you MIGHT need new frictions, but if you do the good news is that you should be able to use your amsoil by soaking the new frictions in the amsoil as their first oil and only using that on them. They should then get along fine with it. As a matter of fact, I've heard rumor of cork style clutches run in on synthetic oil being changed to dino oil and then slipping, the rule of thumb with wet clutches being to break them in with the same type of oil you intend to run them with.

That said, these engines if taken reasonable care of, will run over 100,000 miles on good old dino oil, so synthetic is pretty much overkill on them.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post

Details, details...
                          Here is a writeup TC did a while back the explains the disassembly/assembly pretty well. The extra steel should only be used as a last resort though in my opinion.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9481
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil's act in your slipping problem, although many manufacturers caution against mixing oils because of the unknown interaction of different chemicals. That said, if the clutch is slipping, I'd do the springs and friction plates if they are out of spec. I've found that generally both the friction and steel plates will last a long time if the oil is changed on schedule and there isn't a lot of abuse. If you are the user who likes to do 7000 grand clutch dumps and burn-outs, you could destroy even the best clutch on the planet. Measure your stuff, replace if out of spec or clean to remove anything that shouldn't be there. Also make sure the plates aren't warped because if they are, ditch them and replace.
                            Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
                              I wouldn't worry too much about the oil's act in your slipping problem,
                              I have found that oil can be a significant factor if your running one that's not compatible with the older wet clutch.

I used to run 15w40 Rotella in my smaller bikes without a problem but with the torque of the 1100 it slipped. Switched oils to Castol 4T 20w50 MC oil and the slipping stopped. I see from an earlier post that he is running the proper oil though.

The Barnett springs should take care of it. Springs that have been compressed and been through countless heat cycles for 30+ years tend to weaken.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X