Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new member, and new to the xs world....HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member, and new to the xs world....HELP!!!

I am the proud new owner of a 79 xs1100 special. I am a yamaha guy, as my other scoot is a not-so street legal 2009 r1, with a ton of mods. The PO of the xs didnt really know what he was doing with it. i got it for a fairly decent price of 1300, it was runing, although not so well. he had rebuilt the carbs, however i suspect not a decent job. i rejetted it. its at 145 mains with 45 pilots, with a 4-1 kerker exhaust, no baffle, and k and n style cone pods. ive gone through and rebuilt the front master cylinder and front calipers, rear calipers, forks ( changed the springs to progressive, and added fork gaiters ) and added progressive rear shocks. I also installed a tkat front fork brace, as well as a set of bar risers bringing it up and back 2". I fabbed up an aftermarket british-style front fairing, and i am working on a fiberglass xj style chin fairing. I have gone through and chopped off a ton of things and modified the rear so it is more bobber style. There were no side panels so I fabbed up a set from sheet metal, they look pretty cool. I'll load up some pics tonight, but they are going to be from my garage and not decent. the first few will be what she looked like originally before paint, and after with paint and modifications. Tomorrow, weather permitting Im going to take some better pics. ive always owned fuel injected r1's, this is my first vintage carb bike. i love it tho. I get more compliments on this thing than i do my $25k race prepped R1. Crazy!

Now, to the technical parts. I am needing some help.

#1 the rear master cylinder. I ordered a rebuild kit, but the piston and the rubber seals are just slightly too small. Ive been talking to the guy i ordered them from on ebay and he swears they are the right kit. its a k and l kit. the kit looks the same as other companys kits. but the parts that came out look nothing like the new kit. it more closely resembles the front masters inner parts. the rear master though looks like a 79 specials rear master, but the bore seems too large. i cleaned up the parts that came out, cleaned the spooge hole, and reinstalled them, and the rear master works fine. however now the guy i bought them from wont take them back, because they had brake fluid contact. the problem is i install the kit and the brake fluid just rushes by the rubber seals. i dont know if i have a different master cylinder or the wrong kit.

#2 the carbs. I couldnt get the carbs to synch right, so i took it apart and rejetted to the jet sizes earlier in the post. I believe the po had 140 mains and 40 pilot, but cant remember unless i dig out the old jets. now it seems like i can synch it better, but sometimes when i get above 6k rpms it seems to hit a wall, like maybe its running too rich. my gas mileage also sucks now, like between 25-30 mpg. tonight i took it out and it pulled hard all the way to redline, so i dont know what gives. I havent checked the float level yet nor the valves. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Im pretty sure i have a few more questions, but cant remember at the moment.
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

how do i post pics?
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

Comment

Pics

1st, post your pics on Photobucket (it is free) and then you can hit the "copy' pic on the page on any pic you want, then past to the fourm Next, If the M/C parts are clearly different them advertised on Ebay, escalate and Ebay will give you your money back when you return them (takes about 30 days though). As to the power loss, sounds like you ran out of fuel flow, check your gas cap vent (open the cap and run it when it acts up, if that fixes it, clean the vent valve in the cap. As to the new jets, many new kits cause many new problems, so keep your OEM jets, just in case you need to change back
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
        ...the rear master cylinder. I ordered a rebuild kit, but the piston and the rubber seals are just slightly too small. Ive been talking to the guy i ordered them from on ebay and he swears they are the right kit. its a k and l kit. the kit looks the same as other companys kits. but the parts that came out look nothing like the new kit. it more closely resembles the front masters inner parts. the rear master though looks like a 79 specials rear master, but the bore seems too large. i cleaned up the parts that came out, cleaned the spooge hole, and reinstalled them, and the rear master works fine. however now the guy i bought them from wont take them back, because they had brake fluid contact. the problem is i install the kit and the brake fluid just rushes by the rubber seals. i dont know if i have a different master cylinder or the wrong kit.

#2 the carbs. I couldnt get the carbs to synch right, so i took it apart and rejetted to the jet sizes earlier in the post. I believe the po had 140 mains and 40 pilot, but cant remember unless i dig out the old jets. now it seems like i can synch it better, but sometimes when i get above 6k rpms it seems to hit a wall, like maybe its running too rich. my gas mileage also sucks now, like between 25-30 mpg. tonight i took it out and it pulled hard all the way to redline, so i dont know what gives. I havent checked the float level yet nor the valves. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
        Check the size cast into the master cylinder body; it should say 1/2 (") as that's what is supposed to be installed, but I have seen a couple with a larger 14mm bore. Something oddball installed at the factory, or a PO swapped it on, who knows. The 1/2" kit is correct for the bike as sold.

As to the carbs, some of the cheaper cone filters have a lip on the rubber joint that partially covers the inlets on the jet openings in the carb bell. This will cause major problems, fix that first. If the carb rebuild is suspect, it probably needs to be done again; these carbs work great when everything is right, but get anything off and you'll chase problems...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi airborne and welcome,
          the engine is designed to work with some degree of exhaust backpressure so having no baffles in the Kerker will make more noise but give less power.
          Posting photos from the free site of your choice works fine but once you post them here don't rearrange them on the site.
          It leads to those embarrassing little rectangles saying " photo no longer available " where the photos aught to be.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

the mc says nissin 14 on the it....im guessing its the 14mm bore?

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
            Moto Militia MC

Comment

also the filters have a lip, but i can remove the cone itself and install only the rubber part and it doesnt appear to block any of the holes on the carb. theres a space in between the rubber and the 3 holes....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
              Moto Militia MC

Comment

The mc says nissin 14 on the it....I'm guessing it's the 14mm bore?
                Yep, you got one of those bastard 14mm bore rear masters; they look just like a 'normal' XS rear except for the bore size. The kit that was sent is for the smaller 1/2" bore which is what the bike is supposed to have... Every model XS uses the same rear master (except the LH and XJ, and those are completely different for the XS type), so what these are off of is your guess...

If you cleaned it out and it works, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hang onto the rebuild kit, and if you have problems with it pick up a 'correct' master (somebody here will be able to fix you up I'm sure) and put the kit in it for a good one.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

awesome! oh well. ive been steadily going through this thig and im finding all sorts of fun little things that im having to change and diagnose. honestly though, with as much frustration as im having, im loving it. my friends have all seen what i started with and the way it is now, and i hear nothing but praise. as soon as i can get some pics up, i will. im actually curious to see what you guys think. im guessing some of the purists may not like it, but then again, im going for a clean bobber job, yet staying true to the yama-hamma namesake. i think even the die hard purists will like the direction ive gone with it....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                  Moto Militia MC

Comment

2 ?'s ( im chuggin coffee like crazy!!!! haha)
                    atm im trying to put an oriellys speedo cable in and im having problems. im on my third one ( they keep messing up, i cant get the crimp to hold, it keeps shearing between the cable and the crimped end). how the hell do u cut the cable then crimp it properly? tried cutters and then bench-vice the crimping tool....no-go...thinking dremel cut-off wheel then clean it up with a dremel grinding stone? what next?

Also i took the speedo hub off and cleaned out the gunk, need to lube it and re-assemble. the only grease i have is the standard red machine grease. can i use that?

Im also trying to clean the gas tank vent...whats the proper method to do that?

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                    Moto Militia MC

Comment

ok got the gas cap vent cleaned, got my fuel filters routed, red cone filter installed for the crankcase breather, and i used a couple lawnmower "fuel filters" ( red plastic briggs and stratton, with large type metal screens, from lowes ) for the carb breather vents. I did the latter, because every time i wash her, or ride through the rain, i seem to suck up water. Im hoping that using the lawnmower filters and routing them up under the tank might help....now all i need to do is get the speedo hub put back together and get my speedo cable assembled, and i should be ready to ride....time for some shut eye for now....gotta get up in a few hours...any help on getting this speedo cable figured out would be much appreciated...

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                      Moto Militia MC

Comment

- - - i think even the die hard purists will like the direction ive gone with it....
                        Hi Wolf,
                        wanna bet? You'd be amazed at how anal-retentive some of our purists can get.
                        Not me though. So long as you don't hardtail it. Or make any other change that lessens the bike's capacity to put a blonde hitch-hiker on the pillion and head for the horizon.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Welcom Airborne, you have definitely come to the right place for info on your XS 1100. Most of the members on here purchased used/abandoned bikes and in many cases the PO thought they knew what they were doing but in fact they didn't. In my particlar cas the bike looked very good, especially for a 31 year old machine but the scheduled maintenance had not been performed anyrhing like it should have so I pretty much started from scratch and went through the entire bike from the steering neck bearings to the rear end oil and everthing in-between. My valves were very close to not closing on a couple and none were within spec. The PO had no idea about adjusting valves or how often it needed to be checked. The intake was full of mouse nest and the carbs needed a complete go-through. If you aren't certain about the jets and other carb settings, you may need to get back to original and go from there to get the thing running propperly. Some "experts" go for full-tilt power and aren't too concerned with aything inbetween which makes for a lousy runner. There are manuals available on the forum but I'd suggest you get a Clymer or equivalent so you can make notes on what you are starting with. Later you can go back and see what was and where you wan to go. Post some pics and have a ball the XS is entirely different from the R1. I know because I have a 2008 FZ1 and the only thing the same is the number of wheels.
                          Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Rear mc

WELCOME!

Send me your maiing adress & I'll send you a rear MC as a bikewarming present.

Since the 1 you have is working now, you might never need it.

But, I've got a bunch of those.

Let's see those pix.
                            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

got some pics....

heres the old 79 special...
                              http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=P2140532.jpg
                              http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=P2140531.jpg

the R1...
                              http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=PA210469.jpg
                              http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=PA210474.jpg

and the wifes Buell...
                              http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...h_P3260001.jpg

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                              Moto Militia MC

Comment

Working...
                              X