An Interesting Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interesting Observation

I ran into an interesting thing as a result of my recent accident. One result of the accident was that my clutch level got bent, which meant of course that it required replacement. So I ordered a new clutch lever, not having actually removed the old one yet, as I could still move the bike around using the old one. So when the new one arrived I removed the old one and replace it with the new, and that was when I noticed that the old lever had the center hole (the one that the bolt goes through) worn almost all the way to the outside edge. I'd always had a bit of trouble getting into neutral at times, and had to work to get things just right to get the clutch to it both released enough and didn't slip.

Well, with the new lever, pretty much no matter what so far it eases into neutral every time, and all I had to do was adjust the free play at the clutch lever. The oblong hole in the clutch lever was giving me slop that couldn't be adjusted out.

So I would have to say, if you have trouble adjusting your clutch, check your clutch lever and make sure that the pivot hole isn't worn. It just might be worn and the fix would of course be a new clutch lever. That pivot hole is soft aluminum alloy against a steel bolt, so the bolt isn't going to wear, the clutch lever IS.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Good advice
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
    X