Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saying hello, I've been purusing the site for a few months now while deciding what kind of bike I wanted to get. I was looking for a 70's style bike like the CB750 or XS650 and ran across a few XS11's in the search. Last week I found a very high mileage 79 XS11 with 87k. It was cheap, the owner was nice, and I wanted a project; so I bit. It drives pretty strong, and I'm hoping it will last for awhile longer.

Here's how it currently looks. It takes a good picture in the dark, it actually is quite rough looking. Bad paint, lots of rusty spots.

This is the original owners post on this forum selling it.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16124

This is what it originally looked like.

I hope to take it back to it's original paint. The tank is rusty so it needs to be cleaned and repainted anyways.

Anyone know anything about this particular bike? I've found the original owners posts saying it's been to Mexico and cross country quite a few times. That was part of my rationalization of the high mileage, is that a lot of it was highway miles by a guy who obviously took care of it.

Looks like a great forum, be gentle with me. I'll ask lot's of stupid questions, but I'll always try to search first.

*EDIT* This is the wrong forum for this post isn't it. Sorry!
    Last edited by JScro; 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM.

Welcome aboard! You're off to a good start. You have a runner!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Welcome! You've got a fairly unmolested standard there, with only a few apparent mods (MAC exhaust, non-stock rear signals and paint), and being a runner, hopefully you don't have too many issues.

Here's how it looked new: http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/ads-br...-standard.html

Ask away!
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I guess my big question area is the transmission. I'm going to change all the fluids, possibly try my hand at cleaning the carbs, get some new brake cables, and then just want to ride it for awhile before tearing more of it down.

Should I have the transmission opened and looked at? I have some friends who could give me a hand with this. It's popped out of gear on me once, and the I've noticed the clutch slips for about the first 10 minutes I'm riding it. Once it's warmed up, the clutch is fine.

Comment

These bikes will pop out of gear if not shifted firmly and deliberately; mine did it from new until I learned that. But it wouldn't hurt to pull the oil pan and take a good look at the shift dogs on the gears. As to the clutch, you likely need new springs; the Barnett springs seem to be the preferred replacements. Do a clutch adjustment first, that may cure it. Also make sure that the PO hasn't used a 'fuel saving' type oil in the bike, as those additives can cause clutch slippage also. Look for a 'plain' 20-50 oil or a motorcycle-specific 20-50 oil when changing.

The XS11 is pretty bulletproof if cared for properly and not horribly abused, so just going through the maintanence list may be all you need to do.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Did it pop out of 2nd gear? Fear not. You can repair this.

Do you have a service manual. Go through the clutch adjustment procedure, then see what you have.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Yup, it came with the Yamaha and Clymers service manual. It popped out in either 2nd or 3rd. It only happened that once, and it's very possible I just missed the shift or something. I'll add clutch adjustment to the task list this weekend. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by JScro View Post
                I just want to ride it for awhile before tearing more of it down.
                WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE?
                Seriously, welcome. Looks pretty nice even if it's in the dark.
                Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Congrats on the buy and welcome,

tons of great info here, good luck to you
                  1979 XS1100 (non special and slightly dented)

Comment

Welcome! Changing the fluids and riding it a while is a good idea in my opinion.

That is as long as it is safe. Brakes , tires, ect.

It will let you get used to it's quirks and really understand what needs to be fixed, what needs to be modified, and what needs to be left alone.

Lots of questions is how all of us learned.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Welcome JScro. Lotsa carbs to maintain therefore, use inline filters and treat your tank to keep the rust out. As some else said, change the fluids...All of them.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Welcome

Hi, and welcome to the fourm Nice looking bike I think you are on the right track, rebuild the carbs clean the tank and add some in-line fuel filters JIC. I would also do the TopCat fuse box (cheap, at a few bucks and will rule out other problems that you might chase and end up finding it was just the OEM fuse box (Like I did) If the tires are safe and the brakes are cool, ride and learn, that way you will know what NEEDS fixed As to the miles, one of the members posted he had 300,000 KM on their bike, so, new fluids, some adjustments, and ride
                        Last edited by crazy steve; 02-04-2012, 05:55 PM.
                        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                        1980 XS1100 Special
                        1990 V Max
                        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Welcome! I like that seat you have there! Are there any markings or anything saying who made it?
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Every bolt and nut on this bike was seized but I wound up getting all of them off... except one. Changed the oil, middle gear and final drive oil, and flushed and bleed the brakes. The gear oil was nasty. It shifts better now, but some thing is still slipping at full throttle. I haven't had a chance to adjust the clutch.

The bolt I could not get off was the oil filter bolt. It's rounded from being stripped from the previous owner and vice grips just continued to strip it. Any ideas?

Also, looks like I have a newer aftermarket fuze box.

Up next, clutch adjustment and LED turn signals.

Comment

As for the slipping, be CERTAIN you are using a oil that will play well with the wet clutch. The wrong oil will make it slip.

A set of THESE will help greatly too. 30 minute job to change them.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X