Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rust inside the tank...

Hey guys,

I looked over the forum and found some things about tank rust. I have a little in the tank and obviously need to get rid of it. I was looking on the interwebs and found a product called POR 15 three step process. I saw one person say he liked it but I would like to know a little more about this. Has anyone used this? How did it work? How difficult is it to use? I dont want to have to do this again, so if someone has any other ideas also I would be open to using something else as well as long as it is somewhat permanent. Thanks guys for all your help already. Have a great day.
    Rich (Ringo)
    '79 XS11 Special
    '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

I haven't applied it yet, but Caswell Plating is one I can't find any complaints about. I've decided that's what I'm going to use.

Have you thought about removing the rust? I have used Metal Rescue with outstanding results. There is also Evapo-Rust that is reported to do the same thing. Those are the easy way.

There's also a cheap way: Electrolysis

Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by RJFort View Post
      Hey guys,

I looked over the forum and found some things about tank rust. I have a little in the tank and obviously need to get rid of it. I was looking on the interwebs and found a product called POR 15 three step process. I saw one person say he liked it but I would like to know a little more about this. Has anyone used this? How did it work? How difficult is it to use? I dont want to have to do this again, so if someone has any other ideas also I would be open to using something else as well as long as it is somewhat permanent. Thanks guys for all your help already. Have a great day.
      Hi Rich,
      like any chemical procedure POR15 has to be applied EXACTLY as the instructions say or it won't work right.
      What will be easier and cheaper to do is the good ol' washing soda and battery charger electrolysis trick. Which admittedly don't coat the tank's innards with plastic but will get it squeaky clean.
      And gee Marty, you're quick, when I started typing this post yours wasn't there yet! So, 2 votes for electrolysis AND a diagram to go with it.
      Last edited by fredintoon; 02-02-2012, 03:14 PM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

And gee Marty, you're quick, when I started typing this post yours wasn't there yet! So, 2 votes for electrolysis AND a diagram to go with it.
        I'm sitting in a hotel room with nothing better to do at the moment. Sorry eveybody, but you're keeping me occupied while I'm away from home.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

hey guys, thanks for the input. I will explore this more to see if it will work for me. I kinda want to make sure no rust comes back which is why I was thinking on coating it with something. Researching anything and everything I come across in order to get the results I want. As to removing the rust, that is definitely the first thing i wanna do. I just noticed the rust by sticking my finger in the hole, haha, and running it along the top of the inside. My finger came back a little orange. I dont know about the bottom as there is still gas in it and had no flashlight when I first thought to look. Thank you for the advice. It is all welcome and gives me options. Thanks.

Take care,
          Rich
          Rich (Ringo)
          '79 XS11 Special
          '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            I'm sitting in a hotel room with nothing better to do at the moment. Sorry everybody, but you're keeping me occupied while I'm away from home.
            Hi Marty,
            it's good to know that the list is a small part of the entertainment industry.
            And unlike the hotel's TV, there's no commercials.
            And unlike the hotel's softcore channel, there's no fee!
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I've been using Evapo-rust lately on everything from old rusty tools, to reloading equipment that sat in a shed for years. I'm just amazed every time I pull the metal stuff out of the bath. Even some really nasty exhaust header nuts came out great. A whole lot easier than the electrolosis method. Read here, and it even talks of treating motorcycle tanks. It is a little pricey, but it does work as stated. You can find it at most hardware stores.

http://evaporust.com/evaporust.html

One thing I have noticed with it, though, is on ESPECIALLY rusty things that may need to soak for a couple days or longer, the metal gets a dark tint to it. It reminds me of the blueing you get on rifles.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Electrolysis is great for changing the rusted surface but after that I would go the step further and coat it. I used an epoxy coating from Caswell and have absolutely no complaints. It has performed well for the past several years.

The trick is preparation. Inside must be squeeky clean and dry. You must make some plates and gaskets to cover the petcock and fuel guage/light sender holes. I used a piece of plastic pipe and some masking tape to plug the filler opening after I poured the goop in the tank. The instructions say it is enough to coat two tanks but, use it all (its very thick). Work the tank around in all directions VERY SLOWLY and for about half an hout to make sure every little corner is coated.

Oh, and make sure you protect the painted outside of the tank. The stuff does not come off!

It is not hard to do but if done right seems to last and last.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  I've been using Evapo-rust lately on everything from old rusty tools, to reloading equipment that sat in a shed for years. I'm just amazed every time I pull the metal stuff out of the bath. Even some really nasty exhaust header nuts came out great. A whole lot easier than the electrolosis method. Read here, and it even talks of treating motorcycle tanks. It is a little pricey, but it does work as stated. You can find it at most hardware stores.

http://evaporust.com/evaporust.html

One thing I have noticed with it, though, is on ESPECIALLY rusty things that may need to soak for a couple days or longer, the metal gets a dark tint to it. It reminds me of the blueing you get on rifles.
                  I had the same results with Metal Rescue. Evapo-Rust is available at AUTOZONE for <$20 per gallon. Metal Rescue was around $30 with the shipping.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Working...
                  X