Xj>xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xj>xs

Will a XJ11 exhaust fit my '81 XS standard which use a Special exhaust?
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Yes........
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well, yes and no. The XJ exhaust is a little wider than the Standards or Specials, I believe, as the XJ's right engine case is wider due to the use of a brush-type alternator. Not a problem unless you have other accessories, such as case guards. When I put Standard case guards (3-point) on my XJ I had to notch the guards for exhaust system clearance. This may have been because of the brand of guards I used, though.

The XJ's muffler tab, if you plan to use the XJ mufflers, is in a different position than on either a Standard or Special. In addition, the XJ mufflers have a slight upward angle. Again, a short piece of flat stock to go between the mufler mounting tab and the footpeg mount is all that is needed to make up the difference. I found this out when I put a Jardine exhaust system on my XJ; the differences are not great but are there.

In essence, the XJ system is shorter than the Standard systems, is slightly wider, and the muffler mounting tab is in a different location. Oh, and the XJ has a cross-over balance tube between the two sides. This was suposed to provide better low-end torque. I have not compared the XJ system directly with a Special system, but do know that the rear footpeg mounts are not the same, so I suspect the exhaust systems have differences as well.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        In essence, the XJ system is shorter than the Standard systems, is slightly wider, and the muffler mounting tab is in a different location. Oh, and the XJ has a cross-over balance tube between the two sides. This was suposed to provide better low-end torque. I have not compared the XJ system directly with a Special system, but do know that the rear footpeg mounts are not the same, so I suspect the exhaust systems have differences as well.
        Standards have a crossover between the two sides, and at least MY Jardine has a crossover between the two sides as well, which may be why I don't notice any apparent loss of low end like some do with aftermarket systems, and why mine has such good low end torque.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
          ...I have not compared the XJ system directly with a Special system, but do know that the rear footpeg mounts are not the same, so I suspect the exhaust systems have differences as well.
          Jerry, the Specials/'81 standard and the XJ share all the same parts in relationship to the exhaust systems; the muffler/rear footpeg mounts are the same, as is the centerstand (which are different from the '78-80 standards) so all attaching points/clearance requirements are identical for a Special/XJ exhaust swap...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve
            Jerry, the Specials/'81 standard and the XJ share all the same parts in relationship to the exhaust systems; the muffler/rear footpeg mounts are the same, as is the centerstand (which are different from the '78-80 standards) so all attaching points/clearance requirements are identical for a Special/XJ exhaust swap...
            02-02-2012 11:49 AM
            Thats good to know. Thanks for the info.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
            X