Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Storage

Interested in your thoughts.

I'm getting older (68) and don't tend to ride as much as I used to. Truth is that I enjoy tinkering almost as much as riding.

When I don't expect to ride for two weeks or more I do the following:

1. Store it on the center stand with the front wheel up on a block of wood to level the bike and keep the tire off the concrete

2. Run all the gas out of the carburetors. I didn't always do this but have found that running the gas out of the carbs sets them up for a smooth start - first time, every time. I don't drain through the drain in the bottom of the carb, just let her run until she stalls. I put a small engine shut off valve in the line to each petcock so I'm sure they aren't refilling. I enjoy tinkering but not so much that I want to pull the carbs apart any more than necessary.

3. I keep Stabil in the gas at all times

4. Attach a battery tender every week or so.

Any additions or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help. Always much appreciated.

Doug (Aches n Pains)
    Last edited by Aches n Pains; 01-30-2012, 05:19 PM.
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Hey here Doug. Two weeks is really not much time for worry. Draining the fuel is more for long term storage - months at a time. Stable is a good thing for gas that could become aged, assuming you don't put many miles on it when you do ride. Charging the battery is OK if you dont keep the trickle charger on it all of the time. Long term, disconnect the battery and bring it in the house and charge it only occasionally.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Battery tenders are NOT your batteries friend. Having two tour bikes, my Venturer sets two to three months at a time, sometimes longer in winter is too nasty. Being in the garage helps along with low or no humidity here. Starts right up whenever I decide to ride it. My first statement without a long tech. explanation, wet cell batteries last if used and not shelved, meaning in both my bikes cases while setting in garage they are in the bikes and running dig. clocks in both, with the ST having a factory dig. clock and the Venturer having one in the Alpine deck. My Interstate battery in my Venturer is going on its seventh year with only one re-charge(my initial blunder)and one distilled water top-off, but is dropping on the Voltage test being at 12.3V. The EXide in the ST is halfway to its eighth year and still test at 12.7V. As of now, Dec5th ToyRun was the last time XS was started.
      Last edited by motoman; 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM. Reason: correction
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Battery tenders are NOT your batteries friend. Having two tour bikes, my Venturer sets two to three months at a time, sometimes longer in winter is too nasty. Being in the garage helps along with low or no humidity here. Starts right up whenever I decide to ride it. My first statement without a long tech. explanation, wet cell batteries last if used and not shelved, meaning in both my bikes cases while setting in garage they are in the bikes and running dig. clocks in both, with the ST having a factory dig. clock and the Venturer having one in the Alpine deck. My Interstate battery in my Venturer is going on its seventh year with only one re-charge(my initial blunder)and one distilled water top-off, but is dropping on the Voltage test being at 12.3V. The EXide in the ST is halfway to its eighth year and still test at 12.7V. As of now, Dec5th ToyRun was the last time XS was started.
        hmmm I'd like to know why a trickle charge is NOT your batteries friend?I'm Not being a smart a.. here either... I store all my bikes on a trickle and my jeep. Just curious WHY I shouldn't. I've never had much luck with keeping a battery in my XS for longer than 2 years but everything else keeps ok. Once I change some electrical around in my XS I'm hoping my drain off stops. But I would like a further in-depth reason why I should unplug the 4 trickle charges going in my garage right now for winter storage. Thanks
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Both of my bikes are always on a Battery Tender, all year long. Never a problem whatsoever.
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
            But I would like a further in-depth reason why I should unplug the 4 trickle charges going in my garage right now for winter storage. Thanks
            Only in depth reason that makes logical sense, IMO would be the reduction of a utility bill that would free up some cash to purchase a quality battery or add a beverage cooler to the man-cave so as to better trade lies....JAT. Other than that, wet cell batteries are only as good as the amount of times they will take a full charge. They like to be 'used' not 'shelved'. From charging and vibration zinc flakes off the plates and builds up in bottom of battery till that sediment comes in contact with plates shorting that cell or cells. The original battery in my Venturer when new lasted five years. This last Interstate battery has now been in the bike coming up 7yrs. I admit that the static voltage is down to 12.3-4V and would not do a LD trip without replacing it first. I just use good practices I was professionally taught when it comes to 12V electrical and charging systems. Most of the anal stuff I try to forget and just use basic priciples having a good battery hold down to reduce jarring using a thin piece of floor mat material under it to further absord vibrations, clean and sealed connections throughout charging system. Those that purchase a new battery already filled with electrolyte is NOT fully charged until put on a 2-10amp charger depending on size of battery. The vehicle charging system will only bring it up to what it was when installed. Pertaining to motorcycle applications, Interstate batteries are the only ones I'm aware of that come from manufacturer empty with an included hose and small bag of electrolyte. That still is the best way to purchase a wet cell battery, and USED to be the way ALL wet cell batteries came, but that system is rarely used anymore I'm sure because of the hazards associated. All I can say is this has worked for me for 35+ yrs. and bad battery connection don't exist on any of my vehicles. I would also venture to say that those that use battery tenders or seem to constantly have to charge there battery for whatever reason are not getting 6-8yrs. of service from them either. I can only suggest buying a quality battery, initially a proper charge and cleaned sealed connections. The cost is more initially, but makes for a cheap battery when it can go the distance year wise.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

When I put my bikes up for long storage... which here in SW Washington can be 4 to 6 months before it drys up and warms up enough to think about riding I put my bikes on their center stands (in my R1 case its front and rear trackside stands) And plug in the tenders. then put their covers on them. and thats about it.

In most cases I leave about half a gallon to gallon of gas in each tank and go out in the garage and fire them both up every other weekend. Every weekend if I've got the time. I do this just to move the fluids around. and to keep oil on the upper end of the motor.

Only time I've used Staybil is if I know for sure that I wont be riding them or starting them for a REALLY long period of time. (4 months or more)

When I bring them out of storage mode I buy a can of seafoam and slit it between the 2 bikes and fill the tanks with gas. fire the bike to warm up oil. Change the oil and filter. maybe a new set of spark plug. I've stored bikes as long as 18 months with this formula and other than a battery just going stone dead (2000 Ducati 748 battery was 5 years old) I've never had an issue.

If a bike has sat longer than a year I will split a can of seafoam half in gas tank and half in the old oil... pull the plugs put a little oil thru plug holes. Get it running. run a couple heat cycle (let it get to running temp, shut it down for 15 minutes then fire it again, repeat) drain oil put in new oil, filter and plugs.

just my $0.02 I've owned many powersport toys on and off road in my life and this method works good. When I pulled "old man" out of the shed after sitting for 7 years all I did was my long storage method and it was running hard and clean in 2 hours.

Hope this helps ya
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Only in depth reason that makes logical sense, IMO would be the reduction of a utility bill that would free up some cash to purchase a quality battery or add a beverage cooler to the man-cave so as to better trade lies....JAT. Other than that, wet cell batteries are only as good as the amount of times they will take a full charge. They like to be 'used' not 'shelved'. From charging and vibration zinc flakes off the plates and builds up in bottom of battery till that sediment comes in contact with plates shorting that cell or cells. The original battery in my Venturer when new lasted five years. This last Interstate battery has now been in the bike coming up 7yrs. I admit that the static voltage is down to 12.3-4V and would not do a LD trip without replacing it first. I just use good practices I was professionally taught when it comes to 12V electrical and charging systems. Most of the anal stuff I try to forget and just use basic priciples having a good battery hold down to reduce jarring using a thin piece of floor mat material under it to further absord vibrations, clean and sealed connections throughout charging system. Those that purchase a new battery already filled with electrolyte is NOT fully charged until put on a 2-10amp charger depending on size of battery. The vehicle charging system will only bring it up to what it was when installed. Pertaining to motorcycle applications, Interstate batteries are the only ones I'm aware of that come from manufacturer empty with an included hose and small bag of electrolyte. That still is the best way to purchase a wet cell battery, and USED to be the way ALL wet cell batteries came, but that system is rarely used anymore I'm sure because of the hazards associated. All I can say is this has worked for me for 35+ yrs. and bad battery connection don't exist on any of my vehicles. I would also venture to say that those that use battery tenders or seem to constantly have to charge there battery for whatever reason are not getting 6-8yrs. of service from them either. I can only suggest buying a quality battery, initially a proper charge and cleaned sealed connections. The cost is more initially, but makes for a cheap battery when it can go the distance year wise.
                I don't think I've ever bought a powersport battery that came flooded. From Walmart to NAPA they've all came dry with the fluid in the box with the battery. From what the guy @ NAPA told me they do that because they don't move as fast as car batteries so the shelf life is almost forever to keep them boxed and stored dry.

Even when I bought 1 from Battery's plus it was dry. they filled it for me while I waited. took it home and charged it. Guy told me next time I needed one to call him early in the day so he could fill it and charge it then I can pick it up ready to go after work. Kinda thought that was cool. Plus they carry some good batteries and fair priced.

I do agree with you that a good battery is worth its price. I have a 800u Optima in my Jeep that was in my race car from 01 to 05 and has been in my jeep ever since. It's only gone dead on me once and it was my fault not the batteries.

as for the cost I'm not sure I can calculate how much a .5 amp battery tender draws per day. Especially once the battery is charged and its turned over to monitor mode.. can't think the 2 LED indicator lights can draw too much 110v power. willing to bet my beer-fer in the garage is more painful to the old wallet than my 4 battery tenders
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Just to give it a try this year at the beginning of December I wired my bikes battery into my pickup so that it would still get used. I could fit three in there without any troubles if need be.

I know some here claim it will ruin the battery because they are different sizes but I have never found anything to back that claim and only found things saying it works fine.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                    willing to bet my beer-fer in the garage is more painful to the old wallet than my 4 battery tenders
                    With that, sounds like U got the man-cave 'covered'........

Comment

With that, sounds like U got the man-cave 'covered'........
                      Wife gets mad if I track grease and mud into the house to grab a cold one. The beer-fer is a tool of survival more than anything.
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                      X