Hard bag question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard bag question

I'm considering buying a set of Yamaha hard bags & related hardware that's designed for a XS11. I'm wondering if they should also fit properly on a XJ11 & give space for a rider to use the foot pegs.

I've got leather bags now but my GF has trouble accessing the foot pegs with them & I would be willing to switch over if the standard Yamaha hard bag hardware will also allow for her to reach the pegs. I just don't know if the frame mounts are the same for the XS11 & the XJ11.

Anyone know this? Caveats? Suggestions?

Thanks!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

If you look at the Venturer peg mounts you'll notice that there is an extra set of holes in the mounts forward of where others mount the rear pegs.

Those mounts are pretty rare but I don't see why you couldn't drill another set of holes.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
      ...I just don't know if the frame mounts are the same for the XS11 & the XJ11..
      The mounting will be the same, with the usual caveat of the 'standard vs special' differences in the rear footpeg/muffler hangers. Your XJ would be a 'special' in this case, so a set of bags for a XS special will bolt on. But don't rule out a set of 'standard' bags, as only one mounting point is different and that can be easily fixed with a small fabbed bracket.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks for that info both about the pegs and the frame mounts for the bags. I guess the tail lights may be a separate issue but not one that can't be fabbed.

Can't wait for the really nice weather to come around, I'm ready to be done with the white knuckling it...
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

I put a set of standard frames on my XJ, and the only issue I had was that I needed to extend the "leg" that goes to the foot peg mount. The XJ's pegs are farther forward than the standards. I used s short piece of 1/4 inch flat stock, drilled 2 holes in it, one bolts to the foot peg mount and the other to the "leg." Extension is about 2 inches long if I remember correctly. Other than that no other modifications were necessary.

I did relocate the rear turn signals onto the Vetter frame, which required me to extend the wiring for the lights. I made up an extension using the OEM style bullet connectors in case I ever wanted to revert back to a naked bike, but you could just splice in an extra length of cable if needed. This is a good time to check/clean the turn signal's ground connections as well.

I replaced the stock Vetter rivets on the doors with small ss screws and Nylock nuts, as the original rivets were loose.

Good luck!
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Man, I just wish I could find a set of hardbags for my Special.
            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
              Man, I just wish I could find a set of hardbags for my Special.
              I have a set of bags here that are mounted on a special. Trunk as well. I imagine the shipping would be a killer but I do not really like bags except on my 78E. I have no idea what shipping would be and it is a real pain to box em up and take them in to find out, unless there is a real interest. Pm me if interested.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                The mounting will be the same, with the usual caveat of the 'standard vs special' differences in the rear footpeg/muffler hangers. Your XJ would be a 'special' in this case, so a set of bags for a XS special will bolt on. But don't rule out a set of 'standard' bags, as only one mounting point is different and that can be easily fixed with a small fabbed bracket.
                Hi Steve,

The Guy selling the bags I hoped to get stopped communicating so I had to give up on those. By luck I ran into someone who has a pair of Vetter hard bags and mounting hardware for an XS special sitting for 20 years on a shelf. They're locked but have no key. I guess the special will bolt on & maybe I can get a locksmith to unlock it and then get a key made for it? It's a 140 mile drive each way but he's giving them away & that sounds like a nice offer. He said there was an indentation in the bags for the tail lights. I always thought the lights were built into the rear of the Vetter bags.

I'm hoping they'll fit with the XJ11 exhaust. I know they'll fit fine with the straight XS11 style Jardines I have on it now but I'd like to put the original mufflers on and don't know if that's possible with the XJs upswept pipes.

Comment

They will bolt on if they were originally on a special, and the mufflers shouldn't make any difference....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

He said they were on a special so that's to the good & if they'll fit with the XJ11 pipes, that'll be great.

I plan to put on original mufflers & then re-jet the dynojets back one setting as they called for larger jetting with aftermarket exhaust. It'll be nice to have it closer to stock. Sure is a pretty bike, all the XS11/XJ11 are magnificent bikes.

Comment

Working...
                    X