No announcement yet.

Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keys4urride.com (also an eBay seller) will cut from code, using OEM blanks, and they work great. $14 shipped for one, which I don't consider bad considering all I have to do is type in a key code and wait for UPS . Dealers are more, and locksmiths may be less, but good luck finding one who wants to take the effort to do it for a reasonable price, and I had several tell me that they couldn't guarantee that they would work properly (ie -- tough potatoes if it doesn't work).
    XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Last time I had a dup key made it was at a bike show. There was a locksmith who had a blank for the XS so I got lucky there.
      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Every locksmith I have worked with (and it has been quite a few) will redo a key if it doesn't work.

Big box chain places with their little automatic machines don't.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          Every locksmith I have worked with (and it has been quite a few) will redo a key if it doesn't work.
          Were you wearing a badge and gun when you worked with them?
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Nope.

Random filler to exceed the 10 character limit.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post

Big box chain places with their little automatic machines don't.
              Yeah, generally they do. Especially with residential/commercial keys. In my experience, though, they did not like the idea of messing with a 30+ year old motorcycle key unless I had a brand new lock cyl (and then I wouldn't need keys cut), and the ones that did wanted to charge $60+ to cover any potential time they'd spend redoing it. This is if they have the blank, I was told by several companies that they didn't do motorcycle keys period.

I don't shop at big box stores, so I can't really speak to how they cut keys.

Couldn't be happier with keys4urride.com, though.
              XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Originally posted by xssiveone View Post
                WoW!! $60??!! I think mine was $15.00 to make the first one, including the blank, and then $3.00 for each one after that. Mind you, that WAS 10 years ago, but it can't have risen that much.
                In the last 10 years, everything has risen BUT personal income
                Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                  In the last 10 years, everything has risen BUT personal income
                  Oh man, now there is SOME truth to that statement!!
                  Brian
                  1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                  1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                  remembering the same thing!

Comment

Good price, Danny

Originally posted by Danny Crawdad View Post
                    keys4urride.com (also an eBay seller) will cut from code, using OEM blanks, and they work great. $14 shipped for one, which I don't consider bad considering all I have to do is type in a key code and wait for UPS . Dealers are more, and locksmiths may be less, but good luck finding one who wants to take the effort to do it for a reasonable price, and I had several tell me that they couldn't guarantee that they would work properly (ie -- tough potatoes if it doesn't work).
                    I couldn't drive to a locksmith from my place for that much in gas $.
                    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                    X