No announcement yet.

Need specs cuz I'm dumb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what all you've done to your bike so far but if your going to go in and change the jets you need to go ahead and completely tear down the carbs and do a super clean on them. I don't mean you have to separate them but completely disassemble each one and clean everything.

As soon as you remove them and change jets your going to have to screw with them for quite a while to get them adjusted correctly so you might as well be certain your not trying to adjust out some filth. If you understand what I'm saying.

Do you have a sync tool? Your going to need one.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Tearing down the carbs and cleaning out the tank was the first thing I did when I got the bike. Poor girl had been parked for four years or so and the gas was ROTTEN.

I do have to clean out the enricher circuit better on #1 though. Pretty sure it's clogged as that hole doesn't fire consistently until it warms up.

I do not have a synch tool, but I do have a vac gauge. I ran across a write-up a while back about using PVC pipe and valves from Lowe's to build one, so I'll tackle that while I'm waiting for the jets to come in.
      My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

I have a set of single walled Jardines on my 78E. They were extremely blue when I first mounted them. The blue will come off with polish. I richened mine up and the blue has not yet re-appeared. Now I have a tinge of gold to the pipes which may be from being to rich (a place I would rather be than to lean) or possibly the polish has caused it. Autosol will take the blue out fast, but I now use a product called Blue Job and that is a much more pure product that does not leave a wax kind of film on the pipes. It is expensive and the shipping cost me more than the product but I love it.
        A pic of my pipes after using Autosol on two and left the other two alone. Just as an example:

2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Autosol, eh? I'll have to find some.
          My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Cheap and works

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/440-...1&zmap=440-492
            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
            X