Next wire fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next wire fix

OK, I dont mind the 50,000 amp wire the PO used to connect the battery, but under that what looks like a sheilded resitance wire It also looks to have been spliced and re-connected Any thoughts as to what to do with it
    Last edited by XS1100_OEM4ME; 01-19-2012, 06:22 PM.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Hey Lon/OEM,

If you're talking about that FAT red wire on the top set of 4 fused wires, on the early models...it's the MAIN circuit/power and so it's larger...not a resistance type. On the later models, Yamaha moved the MAIN to the other side of the bike/frame with it's own separate inline fuseholder.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Uh..DOH...you're talking about the wire NEXT to the 50k amp battery wire, the brown one with the electrical tape aren't you?

I'd have to look at the wiring diagram for the 79, but I thought the bike/harness has a large tap from the battery that goes to the main circuit??

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Nope

Nope, the brown wire inside the cloth insalator mat that connects under the main battery hook up tho the solenoild
        Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
        OK, I dont mind the 50,000 amp wire the PO used to connect the battery, but under that what looks like a sheilded resitance wire It also looks to have been spliced and re-connected Any thoughts as to what to do with it
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Yep

Yep, that is the one, you got your post out before mine It looks to have been "FIXED" by th PO wantabe wireing expert I dont like splices and elec tape Just want to do it right
          Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Uh..DOH...you're talking about the wire NEXT to the 50k amp battery wire, the brown one with the electrical tape aren't you?

I'd have to look at the wiring diagram for the 79, but I thought the bike/harness has a large tap from the battery that goes to the main circuit??

T.C.
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

That other rear wire supplies power to the harness, looks like someone used monster speaker cable on there, or maybe that is the factory sheath.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Here's the wiring diagram for the 79SF,

It shows that large wire off of the starter solenoid is the main power wire for the TCI circuit, and runs to the kill switch, and to the fuse block.

I would unwrap the tape, inspect the ?crimped connector for signs of corrosion, etc, and you may need to put on a new connector plus good heat shrink wrap.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Thanks TC

Thanks TC, This is just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, I outlined it in red

Here's the wiring diagram for the 79SF,

It shows that large wire off of the starter solenoid is the main power wire for the TCI circuit, and runs to the kill switch, and to the fuse block.

I would unwrap the tape, inspect the ?crimped connector for signs of corrosion, etc, and you may need to put on a new connector plus good heat shrink wrap.

T.C.
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Phil got it right before my post. The wrap is possibly the OEM cloth insulation they put on there to provide extra protection aside from the plastic insulation. Inspect, clean or replace as needed to ensure you're getting the most VOLTS into the system.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

OK, I have an 80 lg but a harness from an sg which should be the same. Where is the green wire going?

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                      OK, I have an 80 lg but a harness from an sg which should be the same. Where is the green wire going?

It is to give the coils a full 12v during cranking rather than the lower voltage supplied by the TCI during normal operation.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks Nate. That answers the other question, what does the red/yellow wire hanging there plug into... Obviously the green wire. Makes perfect sense to me Why don't I see that on the diagram? Am I just missing it?
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

Hey Duwayne,

The RED tap off of the starter is what provides the direct 12 volts to the coils. That green??? Blue wire taped to that starter wire "might" be the blue starter solenoid switch wire???

I don't see a RED/YELLOW wire hanging....just the large cable that's going to the battery?

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hey Duwayne,

The RED tap off of the starter is what provides the direct 12 volts to the coils. That green??? Blue wire taped to that starter wire "might" be the blue starter solenoid switch wire???

I don't see a RED/YELLOW wire hanging....just the large cable that's going to the battery?

T.C.
                            the green wire is on the lead to the starter motor and has a female end on it. I also have a male plug hanging from the harness that I can't account for.

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                            X