No announcement yet.

Reserve does not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Skool, you mistook my post. My intent was to say that your condemnation of Davinci's idea might have been a little premature. The "I'm Stupid" look was just to say that is the look I wore when I discovered the petcocks being off. Of course it went away after I realized no one else was watching. I had no intention of suggesting you, or anyone else but me, looked stupid.

Yes I know that ClCorbin has owned the bike a long time and probably does know how the petcocks work. He probably already checked all the little things I have mentioned to. Then again, I for one have been turning petcocks on and off for alot of years. And yet, it took pushing that fat heavy pig 1/2 a mile up hills to figure out I had not yet turned them on.

So, it never hurts to check the obvious, especially when alot of the less than obvious sources have been eliminated.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Sorry, you guys don't get it, I wasn't trying to condemn Davinci for for his idea, it was half in jest and half "we don't need to ask if the key was in the ignition instead of his pocket" overthinking it...c'mon guys, not everything contradicted is an attack, and I hope Davinci didn't think it was. I guess I should have put one of these.... at the end and all would have been well.
      81 XS1100H

Comment

At the risk of sounding stupider than usual I must say something. I bought my 79SF new off the showroom floor, and until I joined this forum did not know which way was on, off or prime. My octy, floats, everything else did the job they were intended to do. I never had fuel in my oil and it never failed to work as new. The only reason I even got to looking was because I wanted to install pods. I will never put a set of pods on a bike again because of the hassles. I do however say that once I found the site that I am more informed and am now addicted to fixing these old girls up.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
          Sorry, you guys don't get it, I wasn't trying to condemn Davinci for for his idea, it was half in jest and half "we don't need to ask if the key was in the ignition instead of his pocket" overthinking it...c'mon guys, not everything contradicted is an attack, and I hope Davinci didn't think it was. I guess I should have put one of these.... at the end and all would have been well.
          No, I really could not care less about your opinion of my knowledge or advice, I'm not here to please anyone but myself, so don't give my feelings a second thought. After all, this is only the internet.
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Another Opinion/idea?

It's been awhile since I had my tank off and petcocks off and apart. IIRC, the petcock screens can be removed and turned around 180 degrees?

Wondering if it's possible that when he took it apart, that he might have put the screen in 180 degrees out. The fiche shows the blocked off part of the screen on the front edge of the petcock. Also...lots of dirt/gum can get into the screen blocking the flow...especially close to the bottom where all of the junk in the tank forms, and lots of folks never get down to or use the reserve, so the fuel gets stale/concentrated, and more easily forms the gums around the screen at that point!?

He said he still had fuel left in the tank after running ON dry. I would wonder if he had tried draining the fuel using the reserve setting first...and then after it stops flowing, switching to ON to see if he could get any more flow?

Good Luck Corbin.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              Another Opinion/idea?

It's been awhile since I had my tank off and petcocks off and apart. IIRC, the petcock screens can be removed and turned around 180 degrees?

Wondering if it's possible that when he took it apart, that he might have put the screen in 180 degrees out. The fiche shows the blocked off part of the screen on the front edge of the petcock. Also...lots of dirt/gum can get into the screen blocking the flow...especially close to the bottom where all of the junk in the tank forms, and lots of folks never get down to or use the reserve, so the fuel gets stale/concentrated, and more easily forms the gums around the screen at that point!?

He said he still had fuel left in the tank after running ON dry. I would wonder if he had tried draining the fuel using the reserve setting first...and then after it stops flowing, switching to ON to see if he could get any more flow?

Good Luck Corbin.

T.C.
              Cant do that on the standard petcocks. There is a tap that comes off one side with the locating pin/rivet.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                So, to answer a few questions that have popped up over the last day or so:

1) Yes, I DO know what the positions are on the petcock. Handle down is "On", handle forward is "Res" and handle backward is "Prime". There is no "Off" position unless you mod both the plate to remove the tab AND the handle to shorten it so it will clear the gas tank when you turn it straight up. Which I have not done.

2) After 24 years, I am STILL learning new things about my bike. Of course, the new knowledge tends to be a bit more esoteric than where the key is, how to remove the oil filter, etc. Probably the most recent "aha!" moment was when I learned (from here) that not only is there something behind those little chrome caps on the bottom of the frame, but adjusting that something can have a BIG difference in how the bike handles. That would be the swingarm bearing preload.

3) No, I have not started draining the tanks from the Res position and THEN switched to the On position to see if I get any more gas after it stopped in Res. That might be an interesting experiment.

4) I THINK the petcocks are assembled correctly. On the standard petcocks, there are not a whole lot of ways to put them together incorrectly UNLESS you mix parts from the left and right assembly, which I THINK I have kept straight as I can't remember taking them apart at the same time. The key there is "remember" along with "24 years of ownership".

So, I think my next plan of attack needs to be to remove and disassemble the petcocks and then soak the whole mess in something like Seafoam overnight to see if there is any gum up in the main housing/filter tower area that I simply can't. That will be followed by a very close inspection when I reassemble them to make SURE that I haven't swapped anything around over the years. If that doesn't get reserve working, I'll probably see about modifying this thing to get rid of reserve all together but allow me to get more of my gas out of the tank. I'm tired of giving up on 25% of my fuel...

I would like to ask that we bring the focus back to the issue. I'm not offended if someone asks a question that might seem basic. Hell, if I had a nickle for every time I DID do something silly/stupid like that, I would have a hell of a lot of nickles! I do appreciate everyone that has taken time to read, and even more so, reply to this thread trying to help me.
                -- Clint
                1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Hi Clint,
                  "What you describe cannot be caused by that which you have stated."
                  (That's a newspaper columnist's reply to "worried Browneyes of Brighton" but it seems appropriate to this discussion.)
                  You had this bike since 1989, did it always not have a reserve or has that just occurred or have you simply not noticed it before?
                  Didja doublecheck that when no more gas would come out that there was a reserves-worth of gas still in the tank?
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If you have inline filters you MIGHT consider removing the screen from the in tank filters to remove that as a possible problem as if the screen below the pipe that creates the reserve area might be clogged, if you remove the screen material from them, that would remove that possible problem, but that would also get rid of that filtration, making them like aftermarket petcocks.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Tank filters

The tank filters are there to filter the gas and add a res. function to the tank, they almost never clogg on a bike in use. You have a gasket problem in the pectcocks in MHO, If you have gas left in the tank no matter where you turn the petcock there is someting not letting the fuel flow because there is no opening from tank to carb, find the block, fix the problem
                      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Just to avoid confusion about the petcocks I took one of mine apart. This is the left one I am quite sure but I could be wrong as I have not had this bike since new.
                        The point I am trying to make is that one can not reverse the rubber gasket, nor the filter tower itself. The backside where the diapraghm is does nothing as to fuel flow except to allow it.
                        I myself have reversed (left to right swap) a few of my bikes because I prefer the handle pointing opposite to the indicated positions. One of my throwbacks to earlier years when they had a pointer opposite the handle to indicate the position.
                        Not much can go wrong with the fuel flow unless one of the components is in the wrong position.
                        If yours do not look like these for any reason you may find the problem there. Good luck!

2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thank you VERY MUCH for those pics Ras, cleared up alot for me. Combine that with the answers to previous questions so far, and here is my thoughts.

My thought is that perhaps you have low vacuum in the line to the petcock which might be slightly plugged. So it is not providing quite enough vacuum to open the diaphram on its own, and it needs the pressure of more fuel in the tank pushing on it to "help" it open. When the fuel gets down so low, the pressure it excerts will also drop. Which could be less than the "help" needed to open the diaphram.

Otherwise, yes, your filter has something clogging it in that lower region. That is the only two things left that make sense to me.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Clean out

When I cleaned my petcocks there was like a corrosin skin inside the valve. What I used to clean it was a piece of braided wire that you use to hang pictures. I folded it over and stuck it in a drill running the folded end into the openings. It works quick and efficent and causes no damage.
                            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                            1980 G Silverbird
                            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                            1198 Overbore kit
                            Grizzly 660 ACCT
                            Barnett Clutch Springs
                            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                            122.5 Main Jets
                            ACCT Mod
                            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                            Antivibe Bar ends
                            Rear trunk add-on
                            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Thanks for the photos! The last two pictures REALLY help!

So let's see if I have the ports figured out on this thing:

1) The TOP port is where the fuel comes in from the top part of the filter screen.

2) The middle port to the left is just a plug and does nothing.

3) The middle port to the right is where the fuel comes in from the reserve (aka: lower) part of the filter screen. Note this also implies that normal and reserve have two entirely separate ports bringing fuel to the distribution valve in the petcock.

4) The center port is the gas outlet to the carbs and is currently blocked by the vacuum diaphragm that you can just make out in the photo.

5) The lower port is where fuel bypasses the diaphragm for prime mode.

Now we look at the vertical slow and the curved slot in the handle:

1) In the "On" position, the curved slot is connecting the prime port and the plug. Aka: doing nothing. The straight slot is connecting the top port and the center port so fuel will flow from the upper part of the tower out to the carbs, but only when the diaphragm is pulled back by engine vacuum.

2) In the "Prime" position, the straight slot is connecting the plugged port to the center diaphragm controlled outlet. Aka: Nothing if the engine is NOT running. But the curved slot is positioned so it is connecting the reserve port to the bypass port, letting fuel flow from the reserve section of the tower even with the engine off.

3) In the "Reserve" position, the straight slot is connecting the reserve port to the center diaphragm controlled outlet. Fuel will flow from the reserve part of the tower out the center port, but only when the engine is running. And, the straight port is connecting the normal port to the plugged port. Aka: nothing.

So this REALLY has me scratching my head. I KNOW the normal port works. Bike runs down for about 4.2 gallons. Reserve does NOT work. But here is the kicker: Prime DOES work because I have used it on a couple of occasions when I managed to squeak into a gas station on two cylinders! Two carbs are completely empty, but I put both petcocks on prime before filling the gas tank and the bike fires up on all fours when I am done like nothing has happened, even though I KNOW two carb bowls where pretty much completely dry prior to filling the gas tank. And it appears that prime and reserve both use the same port from the tower, so that is weird.

Other than the screens, did Yamaha make the reserve port so it could draw from the upper and lower sections of the tower? Which would explain my issues IF the lower part of the reserve port was plugged, but the upper part was still open. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get the filters off the towers to see what is going on in there without damaging them. Any ideas on this?

And I do run inline filters that I change out about once per year (around every 10k miles or so at my current riding rate), so loosing the tower filters isn't that big of a deal I guess. But I sure would like to figure out what in the hell is going on in there! And prey that it isn't all inside my head instead!
                              Last edited by clcorbin; 01-22-2012, 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
                              -- Clint
                              1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

This is the...

...orientation of the petcock handles and their corresponding plates. Just maybe something is mixed up. HTH

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                                X