Cam Chain Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Chain Wear

I replaced my CCT today with one of the auto units. When I pulled the old one, it was extended to 43 mm. Full extension is 45 mm. Of coarse, the new CCT will extend much further. How will I know when the chain is unserviceable?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Marty, the FSM doesn't have much to say about that. All they say is if it stretches to where it won't hold an adjustment, then replace it. I guess if you run out of adjustment, that would be the same thing. They also caution that a worn chain can cause 'excessive' wear on the dampers, but don't give you any kind of 'spec' as to what that is; I guess you have to have a new one to compare to...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Rattle

A loud rattle noise followed by a clunk, then lock up No really, if you are down to 2mm, I would think you would want to go ahead and replace the chain on your next major maintencnce,, valve adv. etc. My understanding is the auto cct will go deaper then the OEM, letting you use the chain even beyound its usefull life, not something I would want to hope was OK just IMHO

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      I replaced my CCT today with one of the auto units. When I pulled the old one, it was extended to 43 mm. Full extension is 45 mm. Of coarse, the new CCT will extend much further. How will I know when the chain is unserviceable?
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Got 60K on mine, still running strong <knock> with an auto CCT.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Cam chain

I remember reading sometime ago that a tell tale sign is when the alignment dot on the exhaust cam is not in line but the intake side is, when at top dead center. Can't remember what thread that was in but it could have been a post by 3 phase or motoman.
          mack
          79 XS 1100 SF Special
          HERMES
          original owner
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
          SPICA
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
          IOTA
          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
          Frankford, Ont, Canada
          613-398-6186

Comment

hi marty,

if u remove the valve cover, check for any slop
            between the chain and the cogs on the cam
            there shouldnt be any, same way u would check
            a chain on a chain driven bike.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Marty, if there's only a couple of millimeters of adjustment left on the stock adjuster that cam chain has done its duty and should be given a place of honor in the old cam chain home.

Mack, if the valve cover has never been off since you got the bike then you should check a little further to know why the timing dots are off before buying a new chain and breaking out the safety goggles and the angle grinder. I know, I know, angle grinders are fun!

Yeah, it could be a worn timing chain but it could be someone pulled the cams to change the valve shims and goobered the timing or adjusted the tensioner with the engine running and the chain skipped a tooth.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                Yeah, it could be a worn timing chain but it could be someone pulled the cams to change the valve shims and goobered the timing or adjusted the tensioner with the engine running and the chain skipped a tooth.
                +1 It would have to be worn A LOT. I would be checking to make sure the gears were installed correctly.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

There's no slop between the cogs, and the dots are all lined up nicely. I have to go back to work tomorrow and that means three weeks away. Maybe I'll do it now, or maybe wait until after the fall rally. This is running into a serious lot of stuff to do and precious little time to do it.

This all started when I learned I hadn't properly drilled my damper rods for the emulators. This has led to new brakes and lines, wheel bearings, checked valve clearance, steering head bearings, new throttle cable, carburetor float repair, tach replacement, derusted and painted inside headlight and clock buckets, and stuff I forgot. See what ADD can do! If I keep taking stuff apart, it will be next November before I get it back together.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

too little too late

At 56,000 miles I also discovered my tensioner had plunged all it could to take up the slack in the cam chain. The chains, by themselves are not very expensive and because I already had my cams out for the re-shiming I was doing, I figured I might as well do the chain. It didn't take very long, probably no more than an additional 1/2 hour. When you do the chain, you will need to grind off the head of the pins on the so-called "master link" and you will have to be able to peen the ends of the new cam cain master link. I just used the original chain as a "pull rope" to pull the new one into place.
                    The way I look at it, the reason most of these bikes are in the shape they are is because they got little to no regular maintenance. Every mechanical device on the planet has an expected life cycle and when it hasn't been taken care of that life span is shortened significantly. The cam chain is no different and when it has stretched to it's limit it's time to change it. Or, anyone can take the route of leave it for tomorrow (which really means next winter or next summer) it eventually snaps or gets enough slack to cause real problems and the lack of a new $40 chain kills an otherwise good engine. Take the road less traveled and save the real hassle of a new engine.
                    Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

I pulled this from a different thread.

I was just reading your cam chain post Marty. Before you go ordering a new chain, check and make sure all the sliders are OK. As in not XSively worn or broken. JAT
                      How do I check the sliders? If they are bad, the cam chain damper is NLA. Has anyone here come up with a trick to repair it? Does the engine have to be disassembled to remove and replace it? Will my engine be making a lot of noise if the plastic material is go
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

The sliders are a PITA to change. The head and cylinders need to come off to R&R the assembly.

Sorry man. I didn't mean to panic you. I was just sayin' there are other components that need inspection. A chain might be all you need.

To answer your questions, broken would be fairly obvious, worn would be more difficult to detect. Unless it's worn through to the metal.

Actually, a couple of MM left in the adjuster ain't too bad. Anyone know where it should be to start?
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Alignment dots

Scott: I can assure you my covers have been off plenty of times. What I didn't articulate properly was that if you have been in there monitoring your shims and checking your chain from time to time , and notice that your alignment dots are creeping away from each other, then it's time for a new chain.
                          mack
                          79 XS 1100 SF Special
                          HERMES
                          original owner
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                          SPICA
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                          IOTA
                          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                          Frankford, Ont, Canada
                          613-398-6186

Comment

Hi guys,
                            Was planning tc replacement soon. Thinking nessesary to remove head, guess not? But however can u replace sliders with head removal only? (not cylinders)
                            Thanks in advance,
                            Jim
                            "Elvira"
                            '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Jim,

Timing Chain replacement does not require Cylinder Head removal. Timing Chain Dampers (sliders) replacement requires both Cylinder Head and Cylinders removal.
                              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
                              X