Jack point??...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scoot View Post
    I use that Harbor freight jack on bikes. Never thought to use wood or modify it, just slide it under the pipes, get under the forward- side clamps and kick it up. Got the original exhaust, has not crushed or anything. Not worried about it either, guess I have a raised risk tolerance. I do strap the bike to the jack, though. YMMV.

scoot
    Same here (minus the straps). Never had issues with the pipes. I had to replace the rubber pads on the jack when I got it free from my neighbor, but it works nice for the few times I've wanted to lift the whole thing off the ground. Much too big to slide under there and do any work under the bike, and clearance may make it difficult to add much of a "brace" between the jack and the bike.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I'm just looking to get it off the ground high enough to be able to pull both wheels off and do front end maintenance and swing arm maintenance. without having to wrestle the trunk and rack holder off to get the fender off to remove rear tire.
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I'm just looking to get it off the ground high enough to be able to pull both wheels off and do front end maintenance and swing arm maintenance. without having to wrestle the trunk and rack holder off to get the fender off to remove rear tire.
        ___________ On the centerstand , pull the back wheel, rock bike backwards and block under the oil filter housing whatever height needed to remove front wheel. normal procedure for me when putting on two new tires. Works for what your doing too....
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          ___________ On the centerstand , pull the back wheel, rock bike backwards and block under the oil filter housing whatever height needed to remove front wheel. normal procedure for me when putting on two new tires. Works for what your doing too....
          My bike must be different than the norm. It must be the air shocks in the rear. When on the center stand it couldn't pick the rear more than an inch off the ground. I'd like it a little higher than that.
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
            My bike must be different than the norm. It must be the air shocks in the rear. When on the center stand it couldn't pick the rear more than an inch off the ground. I'd like it a little higher than that.
            Thats plenty high enough to remove back wheel then rock it back on centerstand so front is off the ground to remove................or put a short 2x4 under centerstand to get rear off ground farther, but that will make it more difficult putting the rear wheel back on......
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
            X