Florida Tampa area Mechanic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Tampa area Mechanic?

Hi guys, need some help on my 80 SG , I need a few of the services required that I am unconfident to do or have the tools.

The list I need done:
    Adjust cam chain tensioner
    Check and adjust valve clearance
    Synchronize carburetors
    Change oil in front forks
    Inspect and repack steering head bearing
    Inspect and repack rear swing arm bushings
    Inspect and repack wheel bearings
    Replace Rubber boots between carburetor and motor.

None of this things have ever been done to my bike as far as I know. I have had the bike a year, and did the plugs all the oil changes, mid gear and final drive. I put new brakes on the rear and changed the tire. The bike has 27,555 miles on it. I bought it at around 21,883 miles on it a year ago. I have put 5,672 miles on it this year. The bike has run great, the lifters clack a tad or should I say the head is more "clackie" than I think it should be.

I can not afford to have a dealer, or a bike shop do this work, but I am not really sure how much I am looking at.

Anyone live with in 40-50 miles from Tampa Florida that would help me "Shade tree" the work?

Thanks
    Jeff
    Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
    1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I live in Fort Myers, about two hours south of you (or one hour if you are doing a top speed check on your bike) I would be glad to help you out with the valve adjustment (I have the tool and a stock of shims) but it will most likly get even noiser, as I have learned, when they get quite, they need adjusting again I can syc your carbs (got a pro 4 gauge tool) and help with some of the other stuff. Let me know if i can help
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
      Hi Jeff, I live in Fort Myers, about two hours south of you (or one hour if you are doing a top speed check on your bike) I would be glad to help you out with the valve adjustment (I have the tool and a stock of shims) but it will most likly get even noiser, as I have learned, when they get quite, they need adjusting again I can syc your carbs (got a pro 4 gauge tool) and help with some of the other stuff. Let me know if i can help
      OEM i was gonna suggest your services.... but not familiar with Florida. not sure how far 1 place is to the other.... I figured You'd find him
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Florida

Florida is 1 of those states that when the state legislators go home they have to book an airline.
        I used to live in Pensacola. It's like a 16 hour drive to the keys.
        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

For real

I hear you, When I lived in eastern Texas and would come to Fort Myers for Christmas, I would drive From Longview Texas, all the way accross La, then accross MS, the across AL coast and then I would be in FL and exactly half way there
          Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
          Florida is 1 of those states that when the state legislators go home they have to book an airline.
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

200miles

Just looked it up and that is about 200 miles longer then I 20 all the way across Texas
            Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

still a long drive

I live in Zephyrhills so couple hours drive down to Ft Myers

Comment

Two hours?

Two Hours? I was just reading on here where a member is getting passed on the HWY when he slowed down to a hundred MPH Just kidding, looking forward to helping if I can
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                  That was what I was going to say, when you adjust the valves they will very likely get louder, unless they are already pretty much in spec now. Mine have been getting a bit quiet so I guess I'm due to do an adjustment. I'm trying to decide whether to order the tool or do one of the none tool methods. I'm thinking about getting the tool, as I tend to prefer to do it that way, cause messing with loosening the cam chain unless I have no choice doesn't make me feel comfortable. I figure if I pull the cams out of my old engine, I'll have a decent chance of not actually needing to get any replacement shims but I won't know till I check.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

My biggest words of advice to all is: at some point, write down what shims you have installed and save that info somewhere.
                    This will require all the shims to come out at some point. (so you can read the numbers)
                    So, at least once you may want to pull the cams to get the numbers on all 8.

That way every time you check your clearances, you have the other part of the equation known.
                    Then you can figure out if you can swap around, use ones you have on the shelf, or get new ones.
                    The tool would be easier IF you only have to do a few AND the shim comes out okay.
                    (I had one that I couldn't get out at all and that was with the lifter in my hand!)

+1 on the size of FLA. Grew up in Naples, went to boot came in Orlando, Graduated UF in '99 and was stationed in Panama City Beach for a while.
                    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                    The Green Monster
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                    Got him in '04.
                    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                    Scarlet
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                    Hugo
                    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

I'm in Land O Lakes. Send me a pm and we'll figure something out.
                      79 XS1100SF
                      78 YZ400E
                      81 SR500
                      79 RM250
                      77 YZ400D
                      05 RM250
                      78 CR 250 Husky w/TT500 motor

Comment

There's a guy in Tampa who goes by the name of TropicAl. Don't know how mechanically inclined he is though. You may want to PM him.
                        He typically rides with the vintage japanese mc club out of Tampa.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Tropical Al

Yea I have met him at breakfast on Sunday morning drive. I could not go. Thanks for all the help all, I have been checking parts on Ebay and may have to wait till tax check time, the carb boots are over 100, the gasket is 30 ish, and bike is running pretty good so no real big hurry

Comment

Carb holders are $65.

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=1786
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Check out Partsnmore.com:

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs1100/?filters[fitting]=custom

Scroll down this main page....the gasket you're talking about I think is the valve cover gasket....see below...or use Yamabond without a gasket, your choice! Also inspect your half moon seals on the right side...if leaking, you can replace them also...see PNM !

US$ 12.00

Fits: XS1100 (78-81)

Valve Cover Gasket

#12-2003 | Yamaha XS1100 (1978-1981)

Valve Cover Gasket OEM Ref#2H7-11193-10/00
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment