Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front master cylinder reservoir

Good day to everybody,

I was wondering if the plastic reservoir on the front master cylinder can be removed and if so how. Because I was refilling/bleeding my brakes and the head of one of the screws that hold the cover on broke and I am thinking if I can remove the reservoir i can grab the shank with pliers and spin it out. I didn't want to just try to pull it off just in case it's not supposed to come off.

Thank you in advance everyone.
    USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
    78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

After taking the 2 Phillips screws out of the washer plate in the bottom of the reservoir, the only thing holding it is a large O-ring. Carefully twist/pry the reservoir off.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Depends on which master cylinder you have; if you still have the original master, it's like Phil says. But if you have a Special master or a later-model standard master, those reservoirs are held on by the same (long) screws that retain the cover.

Either way, you have a bit of a problem. The early-style standard masters used brass inserts in the plastic reservoir for the cover screws, and your only hope is to drill the broken screw out without trashing the insert. On the later masters, if the screw broke off and left any sticking out, you won't be able to 'twist' the reservoir to help remove it, so it'll be strictly a prying job. In any case, be careful as the reservoir isn't available as a separate part and if you booger it up you'll have to get a replacement off another master or hope someone here has a spare. The early type with the brass inserts are particularly hard to find...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I used a piece of floss and ran it around the base between the reservoir and the aluminum. It helped break up all the built up crap under there and it cam off with a bit of a twist and pull.

But steves advice still applies.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Screw

If the broken screw is keeping you from twisting the res. then I would slide a putty knife in between the res. and base and work from one side to the other leaving the putty knife in and pushing anouther one in the other side, then move to flat blade screwdrivers, "gently" prying it a little at a time from side to side till it pops off
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Thank you,

I will see what I can do with your advice. I was wondering if you can explain where the two Philips screws are. Are they on the inside of the reservoir or what? I mean am I going to be able to see them once I take the cover off. Also if the screws aren't there does that mean I have a special master cylinder?
            USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle

Comment

master cyl

If you mess up that master cylinder I have one you can have for the price of shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by DCracer25 View Post
                If you mess up that master cylinder I have one you can have for the price of shipping.
                I appreciate it. I will definately let you know if I need it.
                USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

Originally posted by mmaddix View Post
                  I was wondering if you can explain where the two Philips screws are. Are they on the inside of the reservoir or what? I mean am I going to be able to see them once I take the cover off.
                  Yes, they are in the bottom of the reservoir. Take the cover off, soak up the fluid with paper towels and you will see the screws and round plate. Careful not to get brake fluid on painted surfaces.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Here Ya Go...

Thank you,

I will see what I can do with your advice. I was wondering if you can explain where the two Philips screws are. Are they on the inside of the reservoir or what? I mean am I going to be able to see them once I take the cover off. Also if the screws aren't there does that mean I have a special master cylinder?
                    In the first pic you can see the screws at the bottom of the reservoir and the two, different length, screws that are used on each MC.The second pic is a closeup of the short screw MC with the brass inserts. The third pic is the long screw MC. The fourth pic is the difference between the Special and Standard MC's, Standard on the left. The fifth pic shows the difference between the reservoirs of the Special & Standard which will not interchange.

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Alright so I have the one with the long screws in it for the standard. So I just have to pull it of carefully. I am about to try it. I will let you guys know. Thank you.
                      USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

Good luck

Good luck and thanks for your service US Marine

Alright so I have the one with the long screws in it for the standard. So I just have to pull it of carefully. I am about to try it. I will let you guys know. Thank you.
                        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                        1980 XS1100 Special
                        1990 V Max
                        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                          Good luck and thanks for your service US Marine
                          Oorah! Thank you

And thank you everybody your instructions worked perfectly.
                          USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

Working...
                          X