No announcement yet.

Stuck cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once you break it free, use those pry points above the front motor mount. Good luck!
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I had the engine out of my XS11 I wrecked and broke it down to sell off the parts. The head had alot of broken fins, but the cylinders were good as well as the pistons and rings. So I had to be carefull pulling the cylinders off the case. Skids I think posted a photo of where to pry on. On the front close ot the engine mount locations I believe, there is a notable spot. I used a carpenters pry bar. Put the point of the 90 degree angled end at the joint of the cylinders and the case and tapped it into the joint with a hammer. After a dozen taps or so it split that joint a touch. Then I used that pry point and popped it loose. Once you get it started it comes up pretty easily.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

UN-stuck cylinders

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
        Again, thanks to everyone who has contributed. All information holds a ton of weight for me. I'm going to work on it now with a putty knife as that is what I have. I had poured a healthy amount of break free down the studs two days ago, great minds think alike. I will keep y'all updated.
        SUCCESS! The cylinders are loose. Was a combination of Break Free and putty knife. I had shot BF down each stud two days ago. Tonight I tapped the PN at each corner and pried at the aforementioned protrusions. At first no joy but as I started the PN tapping on the first corner I achieved separation. This is the first time I have ever seen a gasket separate and half stuck on both services. I have seen gaskets break and have sections stuck on one surface and some on the other but never split. Thanks again to everybody.
        1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
        Braded stainless brake lines
        4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
        V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
        Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
        Vetter Windjammer III faring
        Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
        James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

Great!

Great! sounds like you got her apart with no damage to the jugs! Best of luck with the rest of your project

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
          SUCCESS! The cylinders are loose. Was a combination of Break Free and putty knife. I had shot BF down each stud two days ago. Tonight I tapped the PN at each corner and pried at the aforementioned protrusions. At first no joy but as I started the PN tapping on the first corner I achieved separation. This is the first time I have ever seen a gasket separate and half stuck on both services. I have seen gaskets break and have sections stuck on one surface and some on the other but never split. Thanks again to everybody.
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
            Great! sounds like you got her apart with no damage to the jugs! Best of luck with the rest of your project
            Thanks, these are from my 3H3 parts only engine. If the pistons and cylinders mic out well, my plan is to hone the cylinders and set them aside with new rings along with the reworked head in the eventual time I need a topend redo. My hope is to find a good set of first or second over pistons and rings for a rebuild. I want to keep Monster going down the road as long as I do.
            1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
            Braded stainless brake lines
            4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
            V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
            Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
            Vetter Windjammer III faring
            Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
            James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

Working...
            X