Stuck cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck cylinders

I am breaking down my spare engine. Head came off just fine however, when I tried to tap the cylinders loose and then pry them loose using the reinforced protrusions on the cylinder front underside with a wide, long screwdriver, it will not break loose. I pried hard enough to start deforming the protrusions. Before I try driving a sharp chisel into the gasket, any ideas?
    1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
    Braded stainless brake lines
    4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
    V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
    Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
    Vetter Windjammer III faring
    Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
    James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
    I am breaking down my spare engine. Head came off just fine however, when I tried to tap the cylinders loose and then pry them loose using the reinforced protrusions on the cylinder front underside with a wide, long screwdriver, it will not break loose. I pried hard enough to start deforming the protrusions. Before I try driving a sharp chisel into the gasket, any ideas?
    Does it turn over okay?, i.e. do the pistons go up and down in the bores? if they do then it's only the gasket and dowels holding it in place, if they dont then you may have rings rusted to the bores, which will need soaking with diesel or wd40, or similar.

Be sure to remove the locating dowels on the cylinder head studs, it's gives you a little more wiggle room while lifting the barrels up.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
      Does it turn over okay?, i.e. do the pistons go up and down in the bores? if they do then it's only the gasket and dowels holding it in place, if they dont then you may have rings rusted to the bores, which will need soaking with diesel or wd40, or similar.

Be sure to remove the locating dowels on the cylinder head studs, it's gives you a little more wiggle room while lifting the barrels up.
      The engine turned okay with valve spring and seaming even compression resentance. The dowels are removed.

ATC fuse box
      Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”

Comment

If the rings are frozen in the bores, both the head back on. Follow these instructions:

How to unstick a stuck engine.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          If the rings are frozen in the bores, both the head back on. Follow these instructions:

How to unstick a stuck engine.
          The rings are not frozen, they move as they should.

ATC fuse box
          Tkat Fork Brace

Comment

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
            The engine turned okay with valve spring and seaming even compression resentance. The dowels are removed.
            Then it's just the gasket holding it down. Probably been 'glued' in place by a previous owner. Wouldnt recommend a chisel, but you might have to get a bit brutal get them off. I've had success in the past with a sharpened machine hacksaw blade. You know, the 2" wide ones. Get an old one from a machine shop and cut it into 6" long peices with a cut off disc, and sharpen one end on a good grinder. Great for removing pop rivets as well.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Gasket

Just to identify what you are dealing with. Does it have a gasket? If it does not have a gasket look close at the sealant used to put the cylinders on. This will help us identify for sure what you are dealing with. I worked on a different bike for a friend that some idiot had used Indian Head Gasket Cement on which is a black tar looking sealant. As stated its a cement not sealant and the only way I could get it to break was heating the cylinder head up. If its a gasket use the previous made suggestions they work.

Do the cylinder head studs going threw the cylinders have a lot of corrosion on them? If this is a bike left ouside corrosion may have formed inbetween the cylinder and studs. If so you may want to fill the void between the studs and cylinder with a high quality rust dissolver and let it soak the longer the better. Doing this will not cause a problem and its better than brute force.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Also originally there was some sort of crappy sleeve that went over the studs as a vibration dampener or something. That material degraded and helps to make the jugs near immovable.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  Also originally there was some sort of crappy sleeve that went over the studs as a vibration dampener or something. That material degraded and helps to make the jugs near immovable.
                  Great info but there is not any outward evidance of any type of gaskit goop and I can sight down each stud and each is clear down to the base gaskit. I am studying the saw blade idea - thanks

ATC fuse box
                  Tkat Fork Brace

Comment

send Andreas a PM

Not to detract from the usual epertise but this this what Andreas Wiess does for a living. PM him and follow his direction to the letter. He strips bikes apart and sellls the head and jugs separate., I doubt if there is anything he hasn't seen or a trick he doen't know. I have done two, so I'm no expert, he has done probably a hundred or more.
                    mack
                    79 XS 1100 SF Special
                    HERMES
                    original owner
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                    SPICA
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                    IOTA
                    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                    Frankford, Ont, Canada
                    613-398-6186

Comment

Take a putty knife (1" or 1.5") and hammer it in between the jugs and the case to get it started. Once it seperates a little, work your way around.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        Take a putty knife (1" or 1.5") and hammer it in between the jugs and the case to get it started. Once it seperates a little, work your way around.
                        The last two are great info added to the data bank - thanks. Must jump off line for now - I will be back!

ATC fuse box
                        Tkat Fork Brace

Comment

Glued!

The old, "I think I need gasket sealer on the head gasket" PO thing Like Phill said use a thin putty knife and tap it all around the cyl between the block till it pops loose somewhere, then keep poping it loose all the way around, good luck
                          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                          1980 XS1100 Special
                          1990 V Max
                          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Last year, on a scrap XS1100, I decided to see what it would take to remove the barrels, for future reference. The fins were already broken and in a bad state, so unsellable/unuseable. I tried everything to get the barrels off. I ended up hitting them with a huge sledgehammer and they still would not budge. I couldn't believe it.

I've heard that you could put freeing oil down each of the stud holes and leave the stuff to soak in for a couple of days.

Proceed with caution!
                            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                              Last year, on a scrap XS1100, I decided to see what it would take to remove the barrels, for future reference. The fins were already broken and in a bad state, so unsellable/unuseable. I tried everything to get the barrels off. I ended up hitting them with a huge sledgehammer and they still would not budge. I couldn't believe it.

I've heard that you could put freeing oil down each of the stud holes and leave the stuff to soak in for a couple of days.

Proceed with caution!
                              Again, thanks to everyone who has contributed. All information holds a ton of weight for me. I'm going to work on it now with a putty knife as that is what I have. I had poured a healthy amount of break free down the studs two days ago, great minds think alike. I will keep y'all updated.

ATC fuse box
                              Tkat Fork Brace

Comment

Working...
                              X