No announcement yet.

Looking for some someone in Portland Metro to fix my 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragon, There is oen or two folsk here that have done the same method your describing and it worked for them. I have done this work a total of five times to date. So far, I have only done it on the centerstand. I have to admit, it would be much nicer to have the beast on its back and looking right at things instead of laying on your back looking up into it. But then, if a shift fork moves the wrong way, it falls on the floow and not into the engine for me. Sometimes those shift forks are the toughest part of the entire experience. It all depends. I have put the shift forks in after all gears are in place though, it can be done, but not easily.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hey Dragon,

Because of the possible need to rotate/wiggle the rear wheel while in gear to get the gears to wiggle during the reinstallation of the countershaft, you may want to find a way to support the rear frame so that the rear wheel is off the ground even just an inch.

Your earlier question about 5th going is a NO. The 5th gear just engages 2nd during the use of 2nd, same for 4th engaging 1st. As stated in the tip, would highly suggest dremeling the 1st/4th gear dogs/slots whilst in there, you don't want to have to be going back in. Many folks have developed the 2nd gear skip first, but some of us have actually had 1st go out first, then 2nd shortly thereafter. I've seen this in my experience with the later models 81 and XJ's. It take very little rounding off of the dogs on 1st to get it to start skipping...they are also square cut!

Another technique aside from hoisting it is to just pull the motor from the frame, but that also involves disconnecting more things like driveshaft, exhaust...as well as wire connections and such!

As stated, not sure if a private professional mechanic will be allowed to grind the gears vs. having to put newer factory undercut ones in...?liability issues and such?...something you'll need to discuss with any possible mechanic if you decide to outsource the work afterall.

Take lots of digital photos as you tear into it, notate the orientation of the shift forks...3 of them, numbered, but can get in backwards by mistake.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey Dragon,

Because of the possible need to rotate/wiggle the rear wheel while in gear to get the gears to wiggle during the reinstallation of the countershaft, you may want to find a way to support the rear frame so that the rear wheel is off the ground even just an inch.

Your earlier question about 5th going is a NO. The 5th gear just engages 2nd during the use of 2nd, same for 4th engaging 1st. As stated in the tip, would highly suggest dremeling the 1st/4th gear dogs/slots whilst in there, you don't want to have to be going back in. Many folks have developed the 2nd gear skip first, but some of us have actually had 1st go out first, then 2nd shortly thereafter. I've seen this in my experience with the later models 81 and XJ's. It take very little rounding off of the dogs on 1st to get it to start skipping...they are also square cut!

Another technique aside from hoisting it is to just pull the motor from the frame, but that also involves disconnecting more things like driveshaft, exhaust...as well as wire connections and such!

As stated, not sure if a private professional mechanic will be allowed to grind the gears vs. having to put newer factory undercut ones in...?liability issues and such?...something you'll need to discuss with any possible mechanic if you decide to outsource the work afterall.

Take lots of digital photos as you tear into it, notate the orientation of the shift forks...3 of them, numbered, but can get in backwards by mistake.

T.C.

Thanks T.C.

Ya I've thought about yarding the motor out of it... I need a chair and few beers and sit out there and stare @ it and see how I wanna tackle it.
        with that said if I'm gonna yard the motor I may as well go thru the whole thing while its on the bench. That opens a whole another can of worms lol

The picture thing is always a good idea. My cell phone with a huge memory card in it has saved my but many a times @ work. Theres nothing like being elbow deep putting a new control board in a welder and having pictures to look back on and can see how i took it apart.

Ya when it get cracked open I'll be doing all 4 of them. I dont wanna split the tranny open again.

Appreciate all the help
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
          Wow I guess I oughta fully finish my thought here before people think I'm nuts what I'm getting @ is taking the tank, seat, and fairing off... Heaving the frame with a hoist. Yarding it vertical leaving the rear tire on the ground then supporting it with jack stands under the passenger pegs so it won't walk side to side on me. I reread my last post and thought that ain't gonna work out well sport
          Guy on here called psychoreefer did it that way which is why I mentioned it. It's the way I intend to do it if I have to do the fix on mine, but so far I've dodged that bullet.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

ddragon, I just saw you bike's pics on the other thread. NICE!! Now I can see your concerns with flipping.
            If you're gonna pull the engine, then you can get those carb boots PlastiDipped too.
            Definitely a winter project. Shouldn't take you too long.
            Just take your time so you don't scratch any of that wonderful paint job.
            She's worth every effort to keep that bike in your family for another generation.
            Keep us posted, please.
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
              ddragon, I just saw you bike's pics on the other thread. NICE!! Now I can see your concerns with flipping.
              If you're gonna pull the engine, then you can get those carb boots PlastiDipped too.
              Definitely a winter project. Shouldn't take you too long.
              Just take your time so you don't scratch any of that wonderful paint job.
              She's worth every effort to keep that bike in your family for another generation.
              Keep us posted, please.
              Thanks buddy!!!! That paint was done by a guy my dad played poker with @ the VFW hall in 1980. She has her rub marks and scratches and rock chips. But its still very clean looking for the age. I've even got a 80's cops style open face helmet with the the air brushed mural covering the whole bucket. I still wear it from time to time
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I'll post up a thread with pictures of the bike later tonight. Some guys leave there son a fortune, some leave nothing. I got a motorcycle I can remember riding on the gas tank of to pre-school.

I told my 10 year old son the same thing his grandpa always told me. " when I'm dead or too damn old to get it off the kick stand, then she's yours son!"
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hi Dragon,

I am a little far south of you in Salem, OR. I have however, just finished a complete frame up rebuild of a 79 XS1100 Special (photos are on their way ) and I would be willing to rebuild your transmission. I have done a couple of the them with great success. I do not flip the bike, I just lift it up and let gravity be my helper. I also have plenty of spare parts, should they be needed. You would need to bring me the bike and it would take 2 weeks for me to do the job. I can send you a PM with the details and price if you are interested.

Larry
                  Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                  http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                  82 XJ1100
                  80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                  64 Yamaha YA-6
                  77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                  See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                    Hi Dragon,

I am a little far south of you in Salem, OR. I have however, just finished a complete frame up rebuild of a 79 XS1100 Special (photos are on their way ) and I would be willing to rebuild your transmission. I have done a couple of the them with great success. I do not flip the bike, I just lift it up and let gravity be my helper. I also have plenty of spare parts, should they be needed. You would need to bring me the bike and it would take 2 weeks for me to do the job. I can send you a PM with the details and price if you are interested.

Larry
                    Larry,

Your not that far away. Salems only an hour. Ya send me a pm and we can go from there.

Thanks buddy,

Don
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                    X