No announcement yet.

What ignition systems are out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going ignition first, is actually the simplest way to go IMHO (provided you have carbs that perform well already in place). This was the way I went so as to not introduce to many things into the equation at once. I installed the ignition system and the factory timing curve and went for some test rides with the carbs still in place. It ran well, so I went on to install the EFI portion.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Jessie,

Is the ignition replacement simple and straight forward? I'm thinking, "What if my pickup coils fail, and I can't find a replacement?" I'm a big fan of "K I S S".
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Ignition

I see replacement used ign pickups and parts on Ebay all the time. IMHO, if your pickup coil wires are good, then great, if not, do the wire fix The rest of the system is pretty good (coils could be better / replaced) but the rest is well up to the capability of the 30+ year old tech of the motor
        Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        Jessie,

Is the ignition replacement simple and straight forward? I'm thinking, "What if my pickup coils fail, and I can't find a replacement?" I'm a big fan of "K I S S".
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Mine isn't broken. I'm just thinking ahead.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            If you keep the OEM pick-up coils, it's a fairly straightforward install. But MegaSquirt doesn't offer any 'hardware' packages for a 'complete' package, so if you're looking to replace all of the stock ignition, you have to come up with the 'other' bits...

More info here: http://www.megasquirt.info/
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If you use the stock pickup's, there is one for sure bonus. They will no longer be rotating via the vac-adv. Having them stationary and everything well secured, you should probably never experience the common wire failure. You could do all sorts of different things if you wanted to go away from the stock pickups that are all fairly simple. My reluctor wheel cost me 1 hr (minimum 1 hour charge, $70/hr) of time at the machine shop. If you know a shop with better rates, then it will cost you less. A VR sensor can be sourced new off ebay for $20. With these, your options are limitless.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
              X