Hey all, introduction and a couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome!

Shop carefully on ebay. Pretty much everything you'll need you'll find there.
    But, shop carefully. Prices can be all over the place, & there are bargains. Also, watch shipping charges. They can greatly affect final cost of an item. Irecently sold 2 wiring harnesses on ebay for around $10- 20 each. Look carefully. Good Luck Tom.

Where do you go to school? I know the windy like the back of my hand.
    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Harness

I would try to find a good harness and start from scratch. Replace the fuse block and apply di-electric grease to the connections.
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Andreas Wiess

Yes I was going to mention him as a parts source before. Send him a PM and tell him your bike model and year. He will send you a list of items he has available. His prices are as good as Flea bay and what he sells works. Pretty sure he will have an OEM harness. Don't screw around with the original fuse block, do yourself a favour and just get one from "Top Cat", here is one installed:

Since your going to be busy doing a lot of repairs, you should go to the forums and scroll down the page until you see Miscellanious, click on that then look for, "what to do with a neglected XS" or title to that effect. Steve mentioned "Geezer", by all means contact him. He makes a regulator/rectifier for these bike that is one of the best upgrades you could do.
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
          He makes a regulator/rectifier for these bike that is one of the best upgrades you could do.
          I have one of these and it's been on a year and is excellent. I would suggest it's not necessary at this stage though and you'd be better off spending your money on other things.

Re your bike. I would look on eBay for a harness. I've sold two of them at about $45 each in the past. Although that depends how badly yours has been hacked about. Usually, when people start doing weird things with the harness, it's in response to faults, so fitting a fuse box may not cure anything. I'd buy a known good harness, clean all the connectors with De-Oxit aerosol and fit it.

You need OEM carbs and airboxes, IMO. I wouldn't re-jet anything with your present exhaust. I would use OEM carbs, cleaned, diaphragms checked etc and OEM filter box. I get the impression you just want to get the bike up and running, so sticking with OEM carbs and airbox is the way to go. If you start messing about with jets, you'll be doing it forever and your exhaust is hardly radical. I've run four XS1100's on all sorts of systems with no rejetting at all. Keep it simple.

Yes, there's a connector block in the headlamp which can kill everything if not connected or intermittent. Also, check the block connector from the right handlebar switch which runs under the tank on the right frame tube. That has to be making a proper connection for the engine to run, since it goes to the engine kill switch.

Check the tipover switch under the tank, sitting on the top frame crossmember, It's a silvery box (or rusty) in a rubber mount and it kills the engine if the bike tips over too far. You could bypass it by joining the wires together in order to try and get the engine going. It's better to run with it on and working though.
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

wire harness

Here is one on Ebay at 10 bucks currently. It says 80 XS1100, so I will let other members speak up to how usefull it would be on your bike, ie, can you just switch a few plugs from your current harness and make a plug and play

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-YAMAHA-XS...sories&vxp=mtr
            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
              Here is one on Ebay at 10 bucks currently. It says 80 XS1100, so I will let other members speak up to how usefull it would be on your bike, ie, can you just switch a few plugs from your current harness and make a plug and play
              The harnesses are like a lot of other parts on these bikes.... close, but no cigar

There's enough differences between models/years that unless you're willing to make a lot of mods, get the right harness. The '78-79 standard harnesses will interchange no problem, but the later ones have enough changes that you'll have to pay attention. The biggy is they changed the 'type' of quite a few of the wiring plugs in '80 so a early/late harness swap is a bit of a PITA...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Cool

Cool, thanks CS, Like I said, I don't know the differance so you guys pipe in, I always try to pass on bargins to members if I find them (some may be as tight on cash as me currently) But your input was what I was looking for before he bought, thanks

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                The harnesses are like a lot of other parts on these bikes.... close, but no cigar

There's enough differences between models/years that unless you're willing to make a lot of mods, get the right harness. The '78-79 standard harnesses will interchange no problem, but the later ones have enough changes that you'll have to pay attention. The biggy is they changed the 'type' of quite a few of the wiring plugs in '80 so a early/late harness swap is a bit of a PITA...
                1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by jmcvey1 View Post
                  Hey all, I just picked up my first bike a few months ago, a 1979 xs1100 as a winter long project. - - -
                  Hi Josh and welcome,
                  all that good advice should get the machine up and running but the FIRST thing to do? Before ANYTHING ELSE?
                  The photo shows the bike is missing it's front brake calipers.
                  FIX THE BRAKES FIRST!
                  If you don't you will be tempted to "just try it round the block" the minute it fires up and riding that widowmaker with no front brake can convert you into a smear of forensic evidence.
                  Also, the front fender adds to the fork's stability so don't leave it off just because it looks cool that way.
                  Spending $103 on a TKAT fork brace is a good thing too. Having someone get you one for your birthday is even better.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

haha, yeah, I have all those pieces ready to be put back on.

The calipers were off the bike when I got it (the PO was going to chopper it) but I've been wrestling with new brake pads while I had them off. These suckers are getting the better of me, my old cutlass has four drum brakes and I can replace those easier than the time i've been having getting the old pads out of these calipers!

as for the fender, ive heard that before. Mostly it's off right now because I want to sand/chemical/wish the chrome off of it so i can paint it.

I'm not really looking to even ride the bike until spring or summer after i've taken some msf courses and chicago warms up a little bit...

Thanks for your input everyone! I've been impatiently waiting on parts to ship so i can keep working on this. updates to come
                    1979 XS1100 (non special and slightly dented)

Comment

Working...
                    X