Silly second gear repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly second gear repair question

I know this is a tad bit early in my stage of repair, but come spring, after I have the beast running, and if it needs the second + whatever other gear repairs, is it necessary to drain the fork oil as well when flipping it upside down....ok stop laughing, I know you have to drain the other 3, was just wondering.
    81 XS1100H

nope.......if they leak upside-down...........upright and rebuild......
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The only things you'll have to worry about leaking is your middle drive and the final drive. The middle drive you can just plug it. But the final drive you will have to drain it and then make sure you refill before you take your first test drive! Good Luck!
      Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
      87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
      93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
      71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
      69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

2nd gear ???

Hay Old- If I may chime in here..........if you haven't done the job yet.....I have done the flip and then did a eng pull. I had the 2nd gear prob and found that pulling the eng with a friend was easier. We used 4 long heavy screw drivers to hold onto while we pulled it out. Removing the oil pan helped. Hope this helps......
        At this time:
        1985 Goldwing Innr.
        1976 cb 750 cafe racer
        2007 vtx 1300
        81 sx 1100 s h
        81 sx 400 special

Comment

Trans?

Do you know, or just think you have a trans problem Unless you just like working on your bike, many trans (including mine) work fine If you dont plan to pull the motor, I would ride it for a season, then decide what NEEDS fixed Could save time and $$$ and if something needs fixed, like the trans, you can still ride all season with some gear bypassing when it slips, and if it works fine, you can save $$ and time

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
          I know this is a tad bit early in my stage of repair, but come spring, after I have the beast running, and if it needs the second + whatever other gear repairs, is it necessary to drain the fork oil as well when flipping it upside down....ok stop laughing, I know you have to drain the other 3, was just wondering.
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

OR...What if one performs the "washer move" before the 2nd gear problem shows up?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Good point

Good point, that is near free, just time. I didnt know the 2nd gear thing was caused by the 1st gear thing. An OZ of prevention
              Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              OR...What if one performs the "washer move" before the 2nd gear problem shows up?
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Hey Lon,

2nd gear has only 3 dogs/slots to mesh with 5th gear, and it is under almost as much stress as 1st gear. 1st gear has 6 dogs/slots to engage with 4th gear, so it can handle the higher leverage/stress loads longer before it wears the edges round, so that's why 2nd seems to fail on folks bike before 1st. But I had 1st fail on mine first, and encountered an XJ that had a 1st so worn that anything over idle would cause it to skip like a machine gun! Once my first started skipping, I used it more gently and shifted into 2nd sooner, but then about a month later my second also started skipping. Estimated 50+K miles were on the engine at the time of failure.

It's been suggested that IF a person has a very low mileage and gently used that performing the washer swap may help the gears make better/deeper dog/slot engagement which could help reduce the occurance, or extend the time/mileage it will take before a possible failure can occur. However, the original gears are square cut, and failure is possible on any OEM engine.

The factory replacement gears are undercut/angle cut which shows that Yamaha learned of the failure tendency of the square cut gears, but they didn't also provide any tech update bulletin regarding the washer swap process!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                X