Best solvents for soaking carb bits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best solvents for soaking carb bits?

So I tore the carbs down on my Special. They weren't as bad as I thought they might be, but there are definite issues here. One of the pilot jets was completely clogged with green crud. Two of the emulsion tubes were in the wrong carbs (#1 & 2 swapped.) And I think the bore that feeds the #3 pilot circuit is clogged, as that jet came out totally dry, where the others did not. All four inlet screens also had chunks stuck in them.

Still, I'm happy to say that it looks like it can all be straightened out with a good cleaning (or three, from what I've read,) which leads me to my question: I want to soak the small pieces overnight, but I don't know what sort of cleaner to use. What can I get that's easy to find, reasonably priced, and effective?

On a side note, I picked up supplies today so I can try out the homebrew soda blaster on the bodies and bowls. $16 at Home Depot, including an inline moisture filter to keep the air dry. :-D
    My Special is as old as I am.

Carb cleaner

I just get a spray can of carb cleaner at the auto parts store, then spray the small parts holding them over a small glass bowl so it fills up with the overspray, then let em soak covered a day or two, spray again, seem to work great for me
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

You'll get all sorts of different cleaning solution/method opinions, depending on how bad they are and how much work you want to do. If you're willing to totally strip the carbs of any rubber parts (throttle shaft seals too), then Berrymans (available at most any parts store) will do a great job. Don't want to go that far? Then the Yamaha cleaner is probably the best...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Small parts

Sorry, I thought said just the small parts, like jets and E tubs etc and were blasting the bodies. i wouldnt soak the bodies in auto carb cleaner with any rubber parts or seals in it
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Gunk

I bought a galon can of a product made by Gunk that had a parts basket in the can. I soaked everthing for a couple hours after I had taken out the jets. I put the connected carb bodies in a parts pan large enough to lay the connected carbs flat and completely covered with the cleaner. Then I rinsed them several times and used a vacuum to suck out every orifice. After I let them dry completely, I put in new jets and gaskets and reassembled everything. Bike runs like a champ now so I guess the cleaner did it's job.
          Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

I'm not planning on pulling the throttle shafts and everything apart...not even taking the carbs off the connecting rail. I know that soaking them with will probably ruin the throttle shaft seal, that's why I'm going to try the soda-blaster. I'm only soaking the small parts (jets, emulsion tubes, needle&seat, etc) and doing it right in the carb bowls (after I blast the bowls out, of course.) So a gallon can of anything is overkill on a major scale.
            My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRedbeard View Post
              I'm not planning on pulling the throttle shafts and everything apart...not even taking the carbs off the connecting rail...
              I know some don't like to pull the carb set completely apart, but at least pull them off the rail. On every set I've disassembled, I found crud behind the fuel tees (and the vent tees if present); this crap, if not cleaned out, can hold your float needles open when it gets loose and cause no end of problems.

And a gallon can of 'carb dip' is a pretty good investment IMO; unlike all the spray cleaners, it won't evaporate away and you can reuse it for years. Put everything except the bodies and the slides/diaphrams in the can, soak overnight, and they'll be clean and ready to blow dry the next day.

You can't get these carbs too clean.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You can try this stuff. www.evapo-rust.com/ I haven't used it on any carbs yet but I'm waiting for the chance too. I bought a gallon on the stuff from autozone for like 20 bucks! And it's reusable.
                Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Cool

Thanks for showing us that, I can think of many thing on my bike and other stuff to use it on I would love to hear results from posters how it worked for them

Originally posted by ccogswel View Post
                  You can try this stuff. www.evapo-rust.com/ I haven't used it on any carbs yet but I'm waiting for the chance too. I bought a gallon on the stuff from autozone for like 20 bucks! And it's reusable.
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

I recently bought a gallon of METAL RESCUE. The results are just as advertised. It's a great option for derusting a tank. I used it to get the parts electrolysis missed, by pouring a bit in the tank and turning it upside down. I dropped some rusty chrome bits in it and they came out looking new!

I'm going to try the EVAPORUST as it appears to be a less expensive option.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

solventless

an old biker suggested that i pull my carbs apart then boil them. no caustic solvents needed.
                      the theory is that the deposits are petroleum/"oil" based. therefore the the oil holding the solids in place will eventually rise to the surface of the boiling water. leaving the solids easily removable. the only real issue is coming up with a pan that fits the carbs still on the rail.

note: this process smells horrible. so if you can do this outside or in a ventilated shop would be better than in your kitchen.
                      if it has screws in it i am gonna screw with it!

82 XJ1100 "the red baron"
                      82 XJ550 "max"
                      82 S10 not quite right pickemup "lucy"
                      73 honda 750

Comment

Go to your local thrift store and buy a crock pot. I'll bet you can get a big one for $5. That's what I plan to do. I have some nasty carbs on some other bikes that I'm going to boil in Yamaha Carburetor Cleaner Dip.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

evapo-rust

I read throught the reference material on this stuff Chris and I don't think it works on aluminum. Can't get the chemical reaction.
                          mack
                          79 XS 1100 SF Special
                          HERMES
                          original owner
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                          SPICA
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                          IOTA
                          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                          Frankford, Ont, Canada
                          613-398-6186

Comment

metal rescue

Marty be very careful with stuff on aluminum. I wouldn't even consider putting a carb in this stuff until I experimented with soak times. Rinse throughly.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA
                            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                            Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

Thanx Mack

I didn't consider using Metal Rescue on the carbs. It IS good for derusting the fuel tank. I believe it's only good for ferrous metals.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X