Ozzie XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzie XS1100

G'day from Down Under,I've just got my first xs11 and electricory aint my strong point. Its about them dam indicators / flashers again!. My 78 1100e is an OZ model and we dont have a front driving light set up like you guys do .The front indicators / flashers on OZ models only have 2 wires and the head light is on a seperate switch that can be turn off completely.Now my problem is when I turn the headlight on, even in the park posisition the front & rear indicators / flashers glow.Whats with that ? & how can i disable this ?. I need to rego the bike and in OZ the ind /flashers are only used to indicate your intention yo turn.Also what is the reserve lighting device for?.There is also a box just behind the coils with upper on it what with that ? and just below the coils to the left is a little module with 2 red wires ,what is this.Also left of the fuse box is a single fuse with 2 wires that run into the main harness what is this 4.Sorry for my ignorance,but you can probably tell i dont have a w/s manual 4 the bike (hard to find) Any help/advise would be welcome as i want to get on the road as soon as possible (the weather is great at the moment.)
    Cranky WEST OZ

Lets see,

The reserve lighting system will turn on the high beam, at a decreased brilliance, when the low beam filament burns out. The small silver thing with two wires on the left side of the frame under the fuel tank is the ballast resistor. It reduces the voltage to the coils to about 8-9 volts when the bike is running. It is bypassed when the bike is being started. The single fuse below the fuse panel is an auxillary, 20 amp fuse for powering accessories. The flasher/indicators glow in the park position because that is a parking light feature on some of these bikes, I think. It also has emergency flashers. The switch is located on the bottom of the left side handlebar switch gear. I also have a 78 E model, and it has a headlight switch. The component right behind the coils is an emergency switch that will kill the ignition if the bike gets laid down or leans over 60 degrees. This is how the US bikes are set up, and from what you described, yours is the same. XS11's did not have running lights built into the turn signals.
    I hope this helps

Comment

Hey Cranky,

I am an OZ member as well, and there is an xs11 manual on ebay (oz) at the moment going pretty cheap so far.
      Failing that, get in touch with Rockjok (this site) for an xs11 and more manual on CD rom.
      I got one and it has everything and then some!

Stava

Comment

Thank you John the info was very helpful,My XS does'nt have the emergency light/hazard feature,I believe we didn't get this feature in OZ until the early 80's.Almost everything on the bike is now sorted apart from the indicator/flasher problem.When I turn the headlight on all 4 indicators/flashers glow & when I put the turn signals on the front one will go out completely and the rear stays lit,If I then turn the headlight off the turn signals work normaly. Have you seen or heard of this b4 (ANYONE ) Any help/advice would be great as I'm totally out of ideas
        Cranky WEST OZ

Comment

Thanks Stava I'll go and have a looksee now
          Cranky WEST OZ

Comment

hi steve,if you do buy a wsm that is on ebay make sure you go for the haynes one i have it and also the clymer one bit i find the haynes one that little bit better,as for your indicators check the wiring in the headlight as some people connect there inticators through the headlight wire so the inticators come n as yours are doing,we in the uk have normal ones?

Comment

I think I would start messin' around with the grounds at the lights thmselves and any connection related to lights cause if it has set around much it wouldn't take more than 1 poor connection to make you scratch your head.....BTDT
              Garry
              '79 SF "Battle Cat"
              outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Yeah your probably right Garry the bike has been sitting idle for 6 years, yes thats right six (6 ) years I'm surprised that I got it up and running so easily.Like someone else said rust never sleeps so a bit of corrosion should be expected after all it is nearly 26 years old.I find it easier to work on the newer bikes. My GSX 11 is only 24 years old.First thing 2morrow out to the shed and check out all the lighting terminals.....Fingers crossed
                Cranky WEST OZ

Comment

Ozzie - even my Canadian model 'H will light up the taillight if I turn the key all the way to 'park'. All you need to do is only turn the key to 'off'. The key will come out, and 'park lights' will not power up.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Gday cranky
                    Where are you at in Oz. I am in the Sydney area. Might be simplistic but check your bulbs on your indicators. Sometimes they slip in a double filament where there should be a single and vice versa.
                    Glenn

Comment

Checked & cleaned every terminal ,junction & contact I could find and still nothing In the end I disconected both front turn signal earth wires inside the headlight shell & ran a new earth wire It all works perfectley. A BIG thank you to everyone for their advice . I'm goin for a ride!!!!!!!!
                      Cranky WEST OZ

Comment

Working...
                      X