special tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special tools

i was reading the service manual on the official tranny pull from the xj service manual. it lists a number of different "special tools" that are required. any one actually need anything out of the ordinary to complete the job. we stripped the bike last night. it took roughly 2 hours to get everything off. ( the airbox was a pita) all that is left is to disconnect the oil pressure sensor and pull the motor mount shafts and heave it out of the frame. can we leave the jugs on to split the lower case? will the clutch assembly need to be removed? any other tricks or secrets would be great.

Got a first or second gear problem, huh? Happens to the best of us. Make sure you check the shift cam (drum) and the shift forks for wear. A little wear on those can add up to a lot of slop at the gears. You will have to split the cases to pull the trans out, but the jugs can stay put, and I don't recall needing any special tools when I did mine. (Twice, on two motors) Just make sure you get ALL the crankcase bolts out. They are numbered on the case, but if I remember right there were a couple of them that were hard to locate. I don't remember about the clutch, but that shouldn't be to hard. Engine removal is easier if you remove the valve cover, and oil filter cup. Supporting the engine with a floor jack while sliding it out of the frame helps too. Wrap the frame rails in an old inner tube or some the leather from some old boots. It worked for me! It saves scratching the paint on the frame. Good luck.

Comment

clutch

Yes you have to take both sides off and remove the complete clutch assembly,just turn the motor upside down on your workbench and have at it.I found the info on this site more useful than the books. read it several times before i did mine!! Good luck ......MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

the book

the service manual is kinda vague. the pics are b&w and fuzzy. i figured for 60$ it would be a little clearer. i had to remind myself the book is a reprint of a 20 year original before the advent of digital photography. (that would be a good project for someone with far more patients than i, reshoot the entire book in digital color from the same prespective as the original photos.) the books advice for removing the motor summed up to be, push it forward and out to the right onto a supporting box. i have the list of seals i will need from here and will hopefully get those ordered from yamaha this week. i have the complete replacement transmission in a box. hopefully it will be easy enough figure out what goes where.

Comment

You don't have to touch the top end at all to repair the transmission. You might not even have to split the cases, depending upon what is damaged. Check Ken Talbot's page for detailed information and pics. Mind you, his is an XS, not an XJ, but I don't think the 2 are that different.
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

First of all, read every transmission article on Ken talbot's page at:

http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/

Here is part of an aricle I wrote concerning my experience doing the 2nd gear fix on my XJ:

After printing out Ken Talbot's Tech Tip and a few transmission diagrams from Rob Mill's CD-ROM, I was ready to go. I also had a set of 3/8 inch drive metric Allen wrenches and a 1/4 drive inch set of Torex wrenches in addition to my regular tools. In my opinion you should not attempt this repair without these sets. You might be able to get by using standard Allen srenches (you will neet one for a couple bolts where the Allen wrench socket won't fit) but they make the job much easier and probably faster. Can't remember what I paid for the Allen wrench set, but the Torex set was about $12.00. You need a T30 for 3 bolts, so you might be able to buy just one socket at a lower price. Other tools I used included a snap ring pliers and a tool designed to remove the 'C' clip that hold the 2nd gear onto the main shaft. 'C' clips are used on some 4x4 hubs, and I had a set of this plier-looking tool in my box, as I own 3 each 4-wheel drive vehicles. Think the price was around $10.00. Not absolutely needed, as you can remove the clip with a couple of screwdrivers, but highly recommended.

Good luck! Its not that bad a job, but you do need to pull the clutch, as the rod that holds the shift forks in place needs to come out the clutch side of the engine case.

Ken's site also has a list of seal (gasket) part numbers, as well as some other part numbers that might be useful.

Lastly, you can get a CD that member Rob Mills (rockjock) put together. Has scans or original service manuals and microfiche diagrams (with part numbers) for most, if not all, the XS/XJ 1100 models, plus a few extra goodies such as wiring diagrams for Vetter fairings. I don't have his address handy, but go to Members, R, find rockjock and send him an e-mail to see if he has some of these left Get payment and shipping instructions from him. Last I heard he was asking $10.00, (a real bargain!) and any profit went to a humane society near his home.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

XJ

Most likely to late 4 you but when i did mine i left the motor in the bike , drained the fluids removed the battery and turned the sucker up side down put the gears and forks in that way . I did not remove the motor figger it save me about 4 to 5 hrs labourHTH.................MITCH
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
              X