No announcement yet.

Front fork modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should also be pointed out that the FJ fork brace is a OEM item, not something that you need to add...
    Last edited by crazy steve; 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I recently picked up a Moto Guzzi for my "to do" list. It's a '98 model. The forks are huge, with dampening and rebound adjustments on them. The XS is stone age by comparison, but still, I love it!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        I recently picked up a Moto Guzzi for my "to do" list. It's a '98 model. The forks are huge, with dampening and rebound adjustments on them. The XS is stone age by comparison, but still, I love it!
        Be sure to sign up for the wildguzzi.com forum. Lots of great info on Guzzis. Guzzisti are even cheaper than XS11 owners. Harper's Moto Guzzi in Missouri is a great source for parts.

Comment

Thanx! I'll get on that!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

U could also possibly try drilling and tapping the fork, and using a set screw... Not the most ideal, but would probably help rigidity significantly...
            BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
            80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

With the Specials having a different axle location, do they maybe exhibit less flex than the Standards? Since I put the Tkat brace on years ago, my front end has felt solid.
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

The specials probably feel less wobbly, due to the geometric difference, where the axle centerline is in front of the forks, it increases the distance between the tire contact point and the steering head pivot line. Imagine a line going thru the steering head down to the ground, then compare it's point to the point where the tire contacts the pavement. Elongating the distance between the two will result in a more solid feel in straight lines, but less rigidity when cornering, hence most newer sport bikes use steeper steering head angles, and less forward offset to the forks from the steering head, makes the bike more solid in the twisties... U get the idea.
                BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Originally posted by daveyg View Post
                  The specials probably feel less wobbly, due to the geometric difference, where the axle centerline is in front of the forks, it increases the distance between the tire contact point and the steering head pivot line. Imagine a line going thru the steering head down to the ground, then compare it's point to the point where the tire contacts the pavement. Elongating the distance between the two will result in a more solid feel in straight lines, but less rigidity when cornering, hence most newer sport bikes use steeper steering head angles, and less forward offset to the forks from the steering head, makes the bike more solid in the twisties... U get the idea.
                  The distance between the axle and the steering head pivot line is because of the design of the triple trees and such against how they look, in the same place on the specials as it is on the standards. It's only DESIGNED to look like it's stretched out without actually being so. If you want it to actually be that way, you need to use standard trees with the special forks (which as fredintoon will tell you is something sidecar owners do for better handling with a sidecar). It might be easier to make the special clamp on both sides though, and now that I've seen the concept, I'm looking at my spare forks with a gleam in my eye (spare parts are great for this type of stuff, I can do the job offline and then put them on AFTER the work is complete . I'm thinking about having it built up on both side so I can make it clamp on the bottom with a split. Just trying to figure out on a split on front or back, or on the bottom?
                  Last edited by cywelchjr; 12-15-2011, 05:40 PM.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                  X