Battery, altenator, normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery, altenator, normal

hi guys, I was just out in the garage and started the bike up. I rode it yesturday and never have had a problem starting it. I am wondering tho, when I reved it the headlight got brighter and when I went down to an idle in got dimmer verooomm bright purrrr dim. normal?
    Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
    1980 XS 850 special wife sold

If idling too low will cause this, but I'd start looking into the Alt output
    81 XS1100H

Comment

You don't get full voltage till around 3000 rpm. So yes that is normal but it doesn't hurt to check battery voltage at different rpms.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If headlight output DOESN'T change from idle to higher RPM's then you need to check things cause as Nate says, you don't get full charge voltage till about 2500 RPM at a minimum with the stock charging system, and on some it's almost 3000 RPM before full voltage is achieved. I've never seen it on my 1100, but my 400 when held at the higher level will flicker the brightness a little bit if the battery is at full charge at 3000 RPM or higher.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

For our bikes and many of the older models that's perfectly normal. In recent years, from what I've seen on my last three bikes at least, the idle output is plenty high enough that you wouldn't see much variarion in aternator ouput from an idle of around 1200 to 3000 RPM. As with almost anything else, charging systems have been improved quite a bit.

For anyone who would like to bookmark a good site that describes the charging system well (for older bikes anyway) check out this site.
          http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Stator/Stator.html
          Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
            For anyone who would like to bookmark a good site that describes the charging system well (for older bikes anyway) check out this site.
            http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Stator/Stator.html
            That site covers the permanent-magnet type alternators (very common on bikes) and isn't applicable to the XS charging system other than the comments about melted connectors. The XS uses a 'brushless' alternator that's a variation on a 'normal' alternator such as you would find in a car (and it's not a commonly used design...). The XJ uses a similar but conventional alternator that does use brushes/slip rings...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

thanks