Backfire and babes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backfire and babes

1st, question. My SF was running great, thanks to many Today, went to get robbed again at the grocery store (LOL) and a little backfire or poping, if you will, on decelaration / down shifting. Not bad but I don't run it hard, I think, not hard enough Just cleaned plugs, new plug caps, carb rebuild, sync, adj etc. Could it be, I just need to run it harder I ride like an old man most of the time (can't afford tickets, lossing Lic. broken bones etc)

2nd, Babes, a sincere apology to any and all who I may have offeneded with my pic's. I tend to try to help people laugh Not thinking of politicly correct behavior. Today on the news, some want to ban Rudolf the Red nose raindear because it is offencive to kids with disabilites. Not making fun, My dad was in a wheel chair after serving most of his life as a law enforcment officer. I have dyslexia (as many on here have poked fun at my disabilty and my inabilty to spell sometimes) I am used to it, and leared to live with the offences, I do the best I can What I am saying, is we all don't understand what offendes others, but I hope we can all be understanding of that and each other. I love the jokes some of you guys (and gals) add to your posts, I will do my best to keep mine as non offencive as I can out of respect to all, but hope I can add some humor that ALL enjoy from time to time
    Last edited by XS1100_OEM4ME; 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Minor popping, it could be any number of things; slight carb adjustment issue on a cylinder, exhaust leak at the head, what kind of exhaust system, etc... If it runs good otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Oem

Solid OEM exaust system with no leaks, new gaskets on exaust with no leaks carbs rebuilt last month (and worked fine tiil today) color tune looking good so far, exact sync to within 1% diff per carb Would running the crap out of it help My race cars would act up back 30years ago and a good kick in the a$$ would shut them up (just like some chi, opps, I am beining good LOL)

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      Minor popping, it could be any number of things; slight carb adjustment issue on a cylinder, exhaust leak at the head, what kind of exhaust system, etc... If it runs good otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Popping on decel, try richening the mixture screws slightly.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Thanks!

I had just turned them down some trying to color tune better I will back them off some (with the driver you told me about soon) As always You the Man

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Popping on decel, try richening the mixture screws slightly.
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

With my experience with the Colortune, the bunson blue color is a tad too lean, these engines like a bit more fuel than that, like an yellow/orange-ish color. JMHO
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Mine used to pop like that on deceleration, especially down hills. I hate the sound of it. I hadn't had the bike long. I found the plugs to be far too pale and I richened the mixture screws a lot. The popping instantly disappeared, the plugs went a nice light brown colour and I was much happier

As has been said though, popping can be caused due to faults, as opposed to bad adjustment. Those faults lead to the same thing, ie a weak mixture caused by air being sucked in through a leak. If you find that richening the mixture screws has little effect in reducing the popping, I would start looking for leaks with the gas lighter technique
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

++ 1 on Phil and UK James. I had that popping a long while ago and got rid of it by enriching the idle mixture. Easy correction, your pugs are telling you !!
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Phil, James and Cobia I turned them all out 1/2 turn each and no more POP, POP,POP Man, I hate that sound It makes people look at me like, what kinda bike is that Thanks to all who helped give some respect to the old XS here in Fort Myers Florida again
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

i missed pics of babes? damn.

Oh, yeah..what the others wrote about mixture...right.
                    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                      I have dyslexia (as many on here have poked fun at my disabilty and my inabilty to spell sometimes) I am used to it, and leared to live with the offences, I do the best I can

I use to have that problem but now I use...check spell
                      81 XS1100H

Comment

decel pop

well if we break it down a decel pop is unused gas leaving the exhaust valve and going into the hot exhaust pipes and igniting. I've seen some bad ones on some of those sport bikes at least 2 feet of flame out of the exhaust pipe (my opinion totally freakin sweet) a fuel injected bike you can eliminate in the map by adding or subtracting (depending on preference) fuel during decel. my XS popped and back fired and when i did my valve lash it knocked it down some but i also had a coil issue with them not firing at hire rpm hence raw gas going out my exhaust valve.
                        1980 xs1100sg

Comment

(my opinion totally freakin sweet)////////////and just that........but your definitely entitled....
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

offensive pics?? where? i love offensive pics. If ya dont like them, dont look at them!!! LOL
                            '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                            Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                            4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                            Windjammer(wiring issues)
                            SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                            New paint/brakes to come!!
                            ===============
                            '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                            ===============
                            '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                            Stock Pilots/125 mains
                            Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                            SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                            LED Brake Lite
                            Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

+1 on Davinci & Tom Rogers

What babes? keep em coming! I missed em I guess!
                              Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                              stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                              X