Chrome bits on air box interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome bits on air box interchange

Will the chrome bits on the airbox from other years fit on a 81LH? I have several other airboxes from various years that I can try but I thought maybe another member has had experience with this.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

From what I've seen, the trim (other than the fact the MNS used gold instead of chrome) is all same. I've traded it from an early to a late airbox (or maybe the other way...) with no problem...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The GOLD trim on the LH airbox does not easily come off. It's not held on with the same retainer clips as some of the other models. Instead, it is plastic welded on there. You can drill them off, and replace them with the other style, but of course you'd be losing the gold.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

All the gold and black chrome on this bike has had it. I decided to paint the black stuff as my other bikes (Black/cherry) and do the gold bits in something more along the lines of copper. I have several extra air boxes and as I am sandblasting parts for paint I figured that if the other years fit I would just swap em. I hope it looks ok once I am done, but none of the paint, black chrome, or gold finish is worth trying to save. As I have not yet taken the 81LH airbox apart I do appreciate the input from you both. Thanks
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
        X