No announcement yet.

Spray nine to bath carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone know if Spray nine will damage my carbs or o-rings?

Comment

Never heard of the stuff personally, but if you check the recommended usages and MSDS of it, I'm sure that would help. If it's similar to SimpleGreen, it may be that it has the same limitations...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ultrasonic cleaner

Making my Christmas list...

This would hold one carb at a time...

http://www.harborfreight.com/ultraso...aner-3305.html
        When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Spring for the bigger unit... http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html
          ... as the one you're looking at is really too small. Even the big one will barely hold a carb body and you'll have to 'rotate' it to get all of it. I've seen these on sale for as little as $50.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I built a similar bath using two sanders from Harbor Freight. A couple of thoughts:

1. Harbor Freight sanders suck. They burned out in about 15 minutes. I suspect that other sanders will last longer but that none are meant to run for a couple of hours steadily.

2. Put a top on the container. Without the top mine splashed PineSol all over the shop.

Good luck
            1995 KZ100P
            Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
            Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Spray nine is very corrosive so I do not think I would go that route. I know it works wonderfully on vehicle interiors, and will even give you that new car smell. It does not work on glass at all. I have used evapo-rust on the metal these carbs use and it discolored and looked horrible. Same kind of corrosive values. Maybe for a short time it would be ok but I would not trust it to be my friend on a set of carbs. You may have good luck with it but I would try it on a junk carb before dumping my whole carb bank in it and vibrating the snot out of it.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I would definitely NOT use Spray Nine on aluminum.

Comment

Thank you. You saved me my carbs. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Comment

lots of people have had good luck with Pine Sol. Others have used lemon juice, but it discolors the carbs. I'd stick with proprietary carb cleaner, as you know it's made for the job. Back in 2000, I cleaned up a set of Seca 900 carbs which were so gummed up you couldn't even twist the throttle. A spray can of Canadian Tire carb and choke cleaner got them spotless. You can't beat disassembly and hand cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                    X