Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil on lft rear whl

HA Guys;
    Any ideas if I'm fixing to have a problem. There is a small amount of oil deposited around the left side rear wheel after I ride. No noticable oil missing anywhere. I may have just noticed it after changing rear drive oil. I keep cleaning it off but it always comes back. Could of been doing this for a long time???? A little oil goes a long way I know, but is this something I should worry about on my XS11SF. Duster
    79 XS1100 SF & 1989 Venture Royal & 98 Valkrye
    It's not the speed that will get you it's the sudden stop.

Heve you tried the talcum powder trick on both the filler plug and the drain plug? This will tell you if either or both might need a bit more tightening or some teflon tape.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

How did you set the oil level in the rear drive? When I got my XJ the oil level was to high. I bought the Yamaha 'dipstick' from a dealer to make sure I had the right level when I changed the lube. I was getting more oil on the outside of the drive case, filling to the correct level dropped that problem quite a bit.

Dipstick part number is 2H7-2815A-00-00 Gauge, oil level. Same gauge is used for all XS and XJ 1100s. On the XJ fiche it is item 44 on panel E-4.

Last time I priced it cost was $5 - $6 or so. There are plans to make you own under Tech Tips on this site.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Jerry: I made my own dip stick from tec-tips and haven't had time to try the powder yet. I have cleaned both fill and drain fittings, adding a crush gasket to the fill fitting after seeing oil there. But unless there is alot residue the fill part looks clean now as does the drain.
        Duster
        79 XS1100 SF & 1989 Venture Royal & 98 Valkrye
        It's not the speed that will get you it's the sudden stop.

Comment

Working...
        X