New Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shocks

I'm thinking about these shocks... Anybody had experience with them? Are there better choices out there?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS110...88806766911155
    When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Progressive makes some pretty nice stuff. Not sure how they compare on price.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I've used those shocks, JC Whitney sell the same ones. I found the springs too weak for my liking (I weigh 185 lb.) so I adapted the old Yamaha springs with some preload spacers to fit on them, then they were fine. YMMV
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you're looking for cheap, they're probably OK so long as you don't expect performance. As Phil said, you'll probably need to reuse youre stock springs. The shocks you're looking at are designed to fit a multitude of bikes, such as XS650 to XS1100. They fit, but that doesn't mean they're right. If your bike gets a lot of use, don't expect them to last.

I put Progressive on mine, but I don't think I'll do that again. YSS makes quality shocks at a reasonable price that you can dial right in. I don't know if Hagon's are rebuildable, but you can buy them with the correct spring rate. I guess it all comes down to what performance level you expect and what you're willing to pay for.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

You may also want to check out the Showa shocks they use on the Honda Shadow 1100. Got a set off a 2002/01 off ebay for very cheap and they work really well on my G.
          Checkout this string:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30050

Good luck.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Cobia - will these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-Honda-Sha...sories&vxp=mtr

Comment

I was looking at the same shocks...lolI'll bet they will, and for the price, I'm not interested because the top cover is dented, I've been looking at the 1500 vulcan and 1100 shadow, I think there are others that will work also, just make sure of the eye to eye dimension, and I wouldn't but any off of a smaller lighter cc bike...like 500 or 700. You may have to change the mount bushings on any you buy, some may be direct fit.
              81 XS1100H

Comment

b1lock

I used a set that were supposed to fit some kinda harley. New in the box progressive shocks. Real good price off ebay. Right length and I figured they were for a bigger bike, so the spring rates would be suitable. A little bit of fiddlin around to get em on, but they work good.

Comment

Progressive is probably the most popular shock out there and that's mainly because they are a good buy for what you get. You'll also pay about $300 for a pair of 412's. It really depends on how much spring and damping you want. Most inexpensive shocks can have a good spring and maybe even some compression damping but when it comes to rebound damping, usually not so good. You have to do some comparison shopping and try to get the most for whatever you feel you can pay. It's not uncommon to pay $500-$600 for a really good set.
                  Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

It's only not uncommon it your dog shi%% money...lol, I know what you mean though, I've been pricing some of them new, and your right in the ballpark as pricing goes, but a used set from a 10 year old bike is a definite improvement from a 30 year old bike with 30 year old technology. To get the best bang for your buck, investigate what bikes shocks will fit, then what type of shocks did they come with, you may find some of them came factory with some really decent ones.
                    81 XS1100H

Comment

Hey Skool,
                      Those are the types you want but those look pretty rough to me. You may want to set up a search on ebay and they will notify you whenever anyone posts a set of them. I would try to get the newest ones you can find.
                      Also, go to / make friends with your local motorcycle shop guys (not the dealeships) because they will often have fairly decent 'take-offs' that were replaced with progressives or whatever. Typically owners who go into these shops to have their shocks upgraded often leave them behind and these can be had for relatively few bucks.
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I just went all through this trying to improve my bike. I found new 412 series Progressive shocks for $200 ordered over the internet. I ordered them with specified for XS11 "heavy duty". I install them and I'm throwing sparks in every turn. No good! I need heavier springs and I can't find them anywhere even though Progressive lists them. I finally was able to procure them through 650 Central. So, that's another $100, but they carry the load. Now, I realize I don't really like progressive wound springs.

I look to Race-Tech and Traxxion Dynamics and all of their shocks start at $1000. That ain't happening. After a visit to Traxxion I learn that they understand my need and can get me shocks for reasonable money in the proper spring rate. I spoke with Race-Tech tech rep Matt Wiley and he told me they don't have budget priced shocks. He fully understands what I'm looking for and recommends YSS.

I've seen advertising suggesting HAGON will set you up with proper spring rates, but I haven't seen pricing.

Here's the bottom line from my experience. If you want quality shocks that are properly sprung for you and your bike and correct the the first time, be prepared to spend around $500, maybe a little less or a little more. If you want to go cheap, I think these guys are right on the money with the "take-offs". I'd be much more comfortable with OEM Harley or Honda than $80 Chinese shocks. As always, YMMV.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Well, so far my dog has only produced used dog food... but you never know!
                          I will be riding 2 up with luggage, and my passenger... how can I say this... is not quite as dainty as she was 30 years ago... ...so the best choice may be progressive HD 412's...
                          $600 eh?.. Here Fido....

Comment

Barnfresh,

Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse has the 412 at $200 a pair. They don't list the spring rate we really need, but maybe it's updated. Mine are 140/200 rate. When I sit on my bike alone, I get 35 mm of sag. That's exactly what I was looking for. When Mrs. gets on the back, I crank in some preload and I don't know she's there. $200 is your target price and don't pay more than $300. Michael Morse at 650 Central can get them for you in a hurry with the right springs on them. For the record, I'm 235 lbs.
                            Last edited by jetmechmarty; 12-03-2011, 11:22 AM. Reason: content
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

If you can get a GOOD set of XJ shocks they will give you a LOT of what you are looking for. They are pretty good handling, with good dampening and are air shocks so they are really quite adjustable as well. I found that they improved my ride by a great deal on my 80G when I put them on. Both less problems with bottoming out and a much nicer ride at the same time.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X