color change??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• color change??

Ok a little history first, I just got a 79 XS1100 SF, and it needs some TLC, fork seals, shocks, a good carb cleaning, rebuild calipers, some odds and ends. But doesn't look too bad and doesn't have a ton of miles on it. Now I've always been a diehard Yamaha guy and in fact, what inspired me to get another 1100 oldie since my HD/v-twin days, was just feeling a little nostalgic for the old days, and I really missed my 82 XJ1100 I use to own back in 1990. So here's the question...color change..BLASPHEMY?? I like mine to be mine, I was thinking along the lines of where there is black becomes yellow, retaining black frame, giving the engine the ol midnight special treatment, and maybe keeping the fenders chrome. What do you think, decent color combo. p.s. got a lead on a midnight special, running looks decent asking $800 looks to missing some of the gold accents. Still has the original rims and most everything else.
    81 XS1100H

I have torn down and painted my 79 standard dark green. I looks great to me. The bike had already been painted once after the factory, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I painted the guts black and sanded the edges of the finns. I'm in the process of reassembling it now. Pictures coming soon.

Comment

What did you use to sand the fins, and did you paint or polish the various covers on the engine, and did you paint or polish the valve covers?
      81 XS1100H

Comment

Always been a fan of yellow and black, Thinking about something along these lines but blackened out more like a midnight special, and where the black accents on the rims are, painting that yellow as well, haven't decided on if the fenders will be black,yellow or remain chrome.
        81 XS1100H

Comment

I am partial to yellow and black. I am changing the yellow this winter to a slightly brighter yellow though and changing the stripes a little and doing the fairing as well

Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That's another change I'm going to do, go to a standard tank. Nice looking bike!!
            81 XS1100H

Comment

Working...
            X