A wedding gift build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wedding gift build.

My daughter is getting married in December and I wanted to giver her and her (future) husband something that they can have and use for years to come. I decided to take the 80 MNS that I have (it’s in pieces all over the garage) and put it back to running form. This is not a restore project as I will be trying to put forward controls on it and the gold will not be gold anymore. I will also try to fabricate side covers from fiberglass (that will be closer to the spring time). I do not expect this to be done by their wedding, I will be taking my time and hopefully get it done by the spring.

The bike only had about 15000 miles of use it was put out to pasture (literally). I picked it up as a spare bike when I got my 78. (Traded my XJ750 for both bikes) It has some rust, the warring will need to be completely replaced and all bearings (that need to be) will be replaced as I go. I will rebuild the brake system and the forks. I do not know the condition of the gears so while I have the engine out I may split it to check on the 1st and 2nd gears.

Well I had to start somewhere so I took the frame, head and final drive to the car wash to clean them up.

I then (after drying the parts) toke the head into the kitchen to rebuild it. It has 4 bent intake valves that I need to replace.

Luckily for me my wife is very understanding and let me take over most of the kitchen table. (Even with the massive cooking that she was doing) We were going to my brothers for thanksgiving so the table was not a big deal.

I pulled all the valves replaced the bent ones and lapped the valves to get good contact.

Next step is the brakes.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Side covers

Hey man!
    Unless you just want to experiment for fun, I've got a pair of 80 special side covers that just need to be cleaned up ( no emblems,tho ).

They're yours for $10.00 + shipping

Happy Thanksgiving
    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Hey Coop,

With all 4 valves bent, you know that it means that the cam chain skipped some teeth on that cam to throw it out of time. You'll want to look closely at the cam chain tensioner to make sure that the locking bolt isn't stripped which would keep it from maintaining proper tension/lock on the plunger, and would then allow too much slack to occur leading to the chain skipping!

Or...the PO may have just never done the CCT adjustment procedure, or did it incorrectly, and that resulted in too much slack, etc.!? YMMV.

Thanks for the pictures, hopefully you'll post more as the rebuild continues?

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thats exactly what happened the tensioner slipped So I put that bike aside and got the 78 running. Now I have a tensioner from a Venture So once I get it set I wont have to mess with it again.
        Ty

Comment

Tom pm sent
          Ty

Comment

I picked up a new bike...Ok it's not so new and it's not really a bike just parts of one. This used to be a 79 xs11 special. The guy I got it from was told it's an 80 special.

(Sorry it was dark out when I took the pictures.)

It seems to have all the parts for the bike Seat, Tank, Forks and exhaust, The frame is all there...just in three pieces. one of the previous owners wanted to put the engine in a sand buggy or something.

Now I have an engine for my 78, and all the pices to build the 80 special for my daughter. Looks like I will be buisy for the next several weeks.
            Ty

Comment

Some progress made

Yesterday I finally had a chance to work on this bike. Things I’ve done so far; (Sorry for the poor picture quality I need to replace my camera)

Put the engine in the frame

Swapped the head

Hooked up the wire harness

Next steps;
              Rebuild the master controls and the calipers
              Attach the swing arm
              Rebuild the forks
              Clean the tank
              Repair the side covers
              Paint – tank, side covers, fenders, fairing and saddle bags and trunk
              Replace wheel bearings
              Media blast rims
              Replace all fluids
              Repair seat
              And a few more things that I have not thought of yet
              Ty

Comment

We got sheets and towels...

That's going to be a very Special wedding present when you're done!
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I'm hoping they think so. Her husband is a Harley guy (he got that from his dad but he used to ride an XS11 special back in the day). He is trying to convince my daughter to sell the bike as soon as it is finished to put the money down on a Harley but she told him no way. Keep in mind that she loves Harley too it's just that I'm doing the work and she is such a daddy’s girl so anything that I do is like gold to her. I did try to explain to her that it's just a bike and if her family ever needed to get food or shelter then sell the bike!! Hopefully it will never come to that.
                  Ty

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
                    ...He is trying to convince my daughter to sell the bike as soon as it is finished to put the money down on a Harley but she told him no way...
                    He's probably afraid of the fact she'll have the faster bike (unless his Harley has had some serious power upgrades) and will embarrass him...
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

They don't have a bike yet (he was riding his dad until a certain mishap and is not allowed to touch them) and all his riding gear has Harley Davidson. He said he does not want to be a poser or something like that. He also said that he can't ride with his legs bent under him (even though the first bike he ever rode was my wife’s XJ750). I told them I would put forward controls on it (If I could find something inexpensive).
                      Ty

Comment

Ty, it sounds like he wants to be a 'poser' (all HD riding gear ), tell him not to worry, no HD rider will mistake him for one if he's on a Yamaha.. What he's afraid of is the heat he's going to take from the posers.

Sounds to me like it might be a good idea to put the title in your daughters name only.....
                        Last edited by crazy steve; 02-19-2012, 12:50 PM.
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Update

Well I finaly got around to doning some more on the bike. Striped and painted the tank, sidecovers and fenders.

Used a rattle can to paint the bottom side of the tank and fenders.

preped the side covers

basecoat of BlackCherry

Tried my hand at Goast image

The final producte was not bad for a first timer.

Now I need to put everything back togeather. I might get this done before their first aniversary.
                          Ty

Comment

Not sure how much you are into painting and how much you want to get into the paint job, but depending on the type of paint you used you can wet sand then buff and polish the paint and it will look better than it being from the factory. Do some Google searching on it to find out if the paint you used is okay to sand (normally doesn't work on a rattle can paint job if that's what you used).
                            1979 XS1100

Comment

Originally posted by Laptop_geek View Post
                              (normally doesn't work on a rattle can paint job if that's what you used).
                              Never had a problem wet sanding rattle can!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X