Two Year Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Year Project

I found this bike in the fall of '09 behind a barn and finally got my first good ride in today. She's an 80 model with a '78 engine. I'm trying for an old school cruiser and it's coming along. Got some leaks to fix and a TC fuse box to put in tomorrow. I can't wait to ride it to work next week!

When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Hey "Fresh",

That's a great looking ride for sure, congrats on the find and the resurrection!

I noticed the large array of lights on the trunk, but if they are standard bulbs, would highly suggest you swap in LEDs for them, lest you run the risk of frying your reg/rect unit or killing your battery trying to run that much with the stock charging system. I would expect or hope that you would have seen the many threads on here about the weakness of the XS11 charging system, and the amount of extra load just running lights can put on the system!

Also, don't recall your posts about any previous riding experience, etc., so just be careful out there getting to know your machine, as well as watching out for the cagers!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hey thats a nice bike I like the looks of the vetter bags an all. enjoy your ride for yrs to come.

Comment

Nice

She looks ready for the road Even the LONG road with all that luggage If the extra lights are brake lights, don't worry, they wont run your battery down if you dont sit in traffic all day Have fun
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Those are both running and brake lights, and even so, going LED does help a LOT. I ended up replacing the fittings on mine because it turned out as they worked less and less well that the things were partially melted. If you check my photo's in the "what did you do" thread you can see the lights I used from Walmart. Superbright LED's has a set that is similar although they are a little more square. As I recall, they are also a little more pricey by the time you get everything you need to hook them up as well, as they don't come with everything you need, where the Walmart ones do.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks TC - My last bike was a '76 Honda 750 which I sold 30 years ago when babies started poping out... This big 4 has a lot more guts and weight and requires practice. I also noticed the bags, trunk, windshield and fairing need some getting used to in the West Texas wind...

The PO said he had the bags and a fairing put on by the Yamaha dealer in Denver when he bought the bike in '81. I figure Watts = Volts * Amps and the book says the tail/brake lights are 8/27 watts then these four 1157 bulbs are .66 amps each tail and 2.25 amps each brake = about 14 amps with the brakes are on and both filaments on with the stock tail/brake light - that's a lot of power! My numbers may be wrong, but I'm heading to WalMart!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfresh View Post
              Thanks TC - My last bike was a '76 Honda 750 which I sold 30 years ago when babies started poping out... This big 4 has a lot more guts and weight and requires practice. I also noticed the bags, trunk, windshield and fairing need some getting used to in the West Texas wind...

The PO said he had the bags and a fairing put on by the Yamaha dealer in Denver when he bought the bike in '81. I figure Watts = Volts * Amps and the book says the tail/brake lights are 8/27 watts then these four 1157 bulbs are .66 amps each tail and 2.25 amps each brake = about 14 amps with the brakes are on and both filaments on with the stock tail/brake light - that's a lot of power! My numbers may be wrong, but I'm heading to WalMart!
              If the sockets are good many auto part places carry led bulbs that are plug in replacements, just be sure to change the ones in the brake light too as many of them don't get along with regular bulbs. I got mine at kragen auto before they got bought out, but last I checked they still carried them.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Learning

OK, I am always willing to learn helpfull stuff What bulbs would I want to replace with LED's on a stock 79SF? I would think the turn light bulbs would need to keep the OEM pull to make the stock flasher work Should I change any to reduce the load, and which ones

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                Hey "Fresh",

That's a great looking ride for sure, congrats on the find and the resurrection!

I noticed the large array of lights on the trunk, but if they are standard bulbs, would highly suggest you swap in LEDs for them, lest you run the risk of frying your reg/rect unit or killing your battery trying to run that much with the stock charging system. I would expect or hope that you would have seen the many threads on here about the weakness of the XS11 charging system, and the amount of extra load just running lights can put on the system!

Also, don't recall your posts about any previous riding experience, etc., so just be careful out there getting to know your machine, as well as watching out for the cagers!

T.C.
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                  OK, I am always willing to learn helpfull stuff What bulbs would I want to replace with LED's on a stock 79SF? I would think the turn light bulbs would need to keep the OEM pull to make the stock flasher work Should I change any to reduce the load, and which ones
                  Just the brake light and the trunk lights, and maybe the dash lights, but those are so small as to make it more work than is worth the work unless you already have things apart IMHO. I'd go ahead and get them if you were thinking about them, but would wait till you have the speedometer and tachometer out to deal with them.
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Beware of those 1157 type LED bulbs for using as a brake light. Every one I have seen is not as bright (especially during daylight) as the incandescent type, it doesn't utilize the reflector correctly in the tail lite housing. Myself, I would rather waste a little power rather than getting rear ended on a bright sunny day. Tail light lens/housings that are designed for LED's are great, but the incandescent housing/reflectors just aren't designed for LED bulbs, JMHO
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks again Phil

I didn't even think about that, Old reflectors are made for old style bulbs Tech. is great, but not having a SUV ride up my butt is better Even on his bike, sounds like the charging sys has done fine for 30 years

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      Beware of those 1157 type LED bulbs for using as a brake light. Every one I have seen is not as bright (especially during daylight) as the incandescent type, it doesn't utilize the reflector correctly in the tail lite housing. Myself, I would rather waste a little power rather than getting rear ended on a bright sunny day. Tail light lens/housings that are designed for LED's are great, but the incandescent housing/reflectors just aren't designed for LED bulbs, JMHO
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Yep, and the 79 Special is the only XS11 model with a single bulb tail light, we need every bit of brightness.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I got 4 LED 1157 bulbs for $16.00 a pair at O'Reilly's auto parts - put them in the trunk and they are good and bright. Then I found the brake lights were not wired up in the trunk even though they had dual fillaments. I bet the dealer did not want to overload the system and did taillights only... Now I can hook up the brake lights with no worries.
                          Thanks!

Comment

Ok

Just like I said, no problem for 30 years with no overload of the elec sys

I got 4 LED 1157 bulbs for $16.00 a pair at O'Reilly's auto parts - put them in the trunk and they are good and bright. Then I found the brake lights were not wired up in the trunk even though they had dual fillaments. I bet the dealer did not want to overload the system and did taillights only... Now I can hook up the brake lights with no worries.
                            Thanks!
                            Last edited by XS1100_OEM4ME; 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM.
                            1980 XS1100 Special
                            1990 V Max
                            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Thanks!
                              With the single I wouldn't run the LED either, but with the trunk with it wired two I wouldn't worry, but, they won't work right in the trunk unless you change the one in the brake light too, it's the way their designed. Catatonic bug and I both have the same bulbs (well had, I got rid of them in the trunk when I switched to the new light assy's in the trunk, still have the same ones in the brake light though and they work fine with the LED units from walmart). The brake light function of the LED's won't work with a standard 1157 bulb in the circuit, but with the trunk plus the brake light you will have plenty of light back there, and IMHO, the ones you got work just fine. And frankly, they don't use the reflector of the socket at all, it's all direct light unlike the normal bulb which sends light every which way.
                              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              750 FD Mod
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                              X