Valve cover gasket 80G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover gasket 80G

Parts-n-More been out of them for two weeks. Bike Bandit want $40+. E-bay is a no show. Old Bike barn dosen't list them. Not a fan of just using Yamabond or RTV as the sole sealer. "bout ready to go the dealer
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

I get my dealer stuff here:
    Yamaha Sportscenter

From them, the gasket is $26.33. That's a fortune, but it sure beats the $39.57 retail price!

Marty (in Bangor, ME)
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Yamabond works great.... I don't need no steenkin' gaskets...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Gasket

I ordered one from this guy for my 79, you have to ask him for the one you need, think he cuts them as needed, $16.00 + S/H
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS-11...sories&vxp=mtr

Originally posted by webbcraft2150 View Post
        Parts-n-More been out of them for two weeks. Bike Bandit want $40+. E-bay is a no show. Old Bike barn dosen't list them. Not a fan of just using Yamabond or RTV as the sole sealer. "bout ready to go the dealer
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

If your going to do that, just get the material from your local auto parts store and print it out from the templates available from the UK site. A lot cheaper and probably a LOT faster as well, since you can buy that material in the matter of a couple hours at the most in most cases.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Laser cut

That would work also, but precise laser cut is nice and a piece of gasket materal that big woulg probably cost about the same. He also has a great price on two sets of bowl gaskets (8 total, always good to have around) iam just trying to help save a few $$$, if he "IS" going to order them, these are just as good as OEM and he ships USPS Priority, got mine in two days they are cut perfectly and he will combine shipping

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            If your going to do that, just get the material from your local auto parts store and print it out from the templates available from the UK site. A lot cheaper and probably a LOT faster as well, since you can buy that material in the matter of a couple hours at the most in most cases.
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

got one from cycle-re-cycle part 2. paid $10.95 plus shipping
              80 xs1100G

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Yamabond works great.... I don't need no steenkin' gaskets...
                Steve, what # Yamabond would you use for that valve cover gasket? I gotta do mine pretty soon.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by earl G View Post
                  got one from cycle-re-cycle part 2. paid $10.95 plus shipping
                  That's who I always use earl.

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  Steve, what # Yamabond would you use for that valve cover gasket? I gotta do mine pretty soon.
                  That's pretty much the only place I'll buy a gasket for. For some reason I can't get the Threebond 1194 to seal on the valve cover.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

+1 on what steve said,
                    if u havent got yamabond,
                    just use silastic.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Seal

The gasket I bought on Ebay seals with no gasket sealer at all (except for a little around the cam plugs) I put all the bolts in finger snug, starting from the middle of the cover, then working out to both ends at the same pattern (two left bolts the two right bolts, till all the way to the ends) Next I tighten them down in the same order, starting with the middle bolts 1st, not even a seap

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      That's who I always use earl.

That's pretty much the only place I'll buy a gasket for. For some reason I can't get the Threebond 1194 to seal on the valve cover.
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                        The gasket I bought on Ebay seals with no gasket sealer at all (except for a little around the cam plugs) I put all the bolts in finger snug, starting from the middle of the cover, then working out to both ends at the same pattern (two left bolts the two right bolts, till all the way to the ends) Next I tighten them down in the same order, starting with the middle bolts 1st, not even a seap
                        Yup, that's why I order the $11 gasket and keep a couple extra around. The Threebond works great everywhere else but I always end up with a leak on the valve cover when I use it there.

Others have said it works for them also but I've seen a lot of leaky ones. Especially on longer trips.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                          Phil, I'm using the Yamabond 4. Absolutely great stuff, I used that to seal just about everything on the SG I did and didn't have a single leak. It's a bit runny, so don't apply too much, and I wouldn't try it on anything but a machined surface. I love it....
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

confused

Is ten bucks $$$ for a gasket That is a "baconator combo" at Wendy's Is it the two or three days to get it, or, just a love for "walking on the wild side" and hoping it don't leak
                            1980 XS1100 Special
                            1990 V Max
                            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

I think the trick for using Yamabond as a gasket is to apply it to the cylinder head and not the valve cover. A bit more difficult but less chance of messing up the bead and causing a breach that way. Thanks Steve, I'll try the #4.

If the valve cover only had an o-ring gasket...
                              Last edited by bikerphil; 11-06-2011, 12:17 AM.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X