Black Box - Repair techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Box - Repair techniques?

I've soldered the black box a couple of times now to solve some ignition problems. Each time it works for awhile and then stops working again. I'm sure there is a lot to be said for technique and proper solder. But has anyone cut into the black box with a dremel to remove the circuit assembly for inspection / repair? Do the black boxes from different years swap? The one on my 80g says '77 xs1100 on the bottom of it already!

Anyone wanna chime in on the black box thread or is there another I should look at?

Thanks,
    Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Good guess

yea there have been some very lengthy disscussions on that very thing lately.
    Garry
    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

You know Ben, sooner or later we all have issues with the black box. I had a problem last year. I found a solder joint that came undone so I soldered it. It ran fine for a year then I began to have the same problem- two cylinders not firing. I was ready to buy another on Ebay ($80) and then I let my electronics teacher take a look at it. He spotted the problem quickly, a bad solder job. He removed all the old solder and resoldered it the right way.

To answer your question, yes, soldering technique is key. In my case, it would run great and then cut out. Run and cut out.

I suggest finding someone who knows about soldering and have them help.

By the way, I was tempted to pull the black box apart too. I’m glad I didn’t.

http://jawnski.redirectme.net/yamaha/solderjob.htm

Comment

If I can figure out which pins to desolder, I'd like to take the whole thing out to re-do it. My brother has all the tools and the technique. I have a spare from another XS but I haven't checked the numbers.

Ben
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
        X