Differences between 79 thru 81 models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between 79 thru 81 models

I've been brushing up on my skills/knowledge of these wonderful machines and have found a few things that help me determine what year (special/std) by looking at it.
    The easy ones are the 78/79 standards, the seat's bottom edge is almost straight and the side covers are squarish looking. (the only
    difference between the 78 & 79 that I could find was a little different brake light/liscence plate holder)
    The next easiest one is the 81 vice 80 standard. the 81 came as a touring package and had the larger tank and slotted rotors.

On to the specials (79-81)
    79 had a lower mounted brake light, different grab rail and reflectors on the side of the forks and solid rotors.
    80/81 had the reflectors on the side of the frame, tail light up under the seat, slotted rotors.
    Difference between the 80 and 81: the side cover emblem, 80: XS Eleven Special 81: Eleven Special with a 'check mark'.

The Midnight specials 80/81 are easiest to determine by the wheels. the 81 had curved spokes and the 80 had straight.

I do need a clarification, i found that there were some 81 specials had curved spokes. I need a ruling on this. Maybe that was just an option at the dealer.

You ask: what prompted me to do all this research???? I was trying to figure out which seats were interchangeable and more importantly, if i can spot the differences from pictures as to which seat goes to which bike. When buying a used seat from anyone, (Ebay included) No matter what the description is, the picture tells a thousand words.
    Currently I know I have the wrong seat on my G because it's smashing my TCI into the plastic fender.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

80 and 81 standard seats interchange, those are the ONLY ones (that apply) that interchange without modification. Anything else will either require modification of the seat pan, or relocation of the TCI. The other possibility might be, is the TCI in the stock position for an 80G?

That said, IIRC the earlier model standards the TCI is mounted down a bit on the fender so the seat isn't a problem, and to clear the earlier seats you have to create an indentation in the seat pan where the TCI is. Said indentation is only like 1/2 inch or so, and easy to do with a metal seat pan, no so easy with a plastic one like some of the aftermarket pans.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The '78/79 standards are pretty much identical, particularly if you have a early '79. The late '79 got the tubeless wheels, all '79s had the halogen headlight instead of the '78 sealed beam. There's a few other detail differences; the 'emergency kick lever' is chrome plated on the '78s, zinc-plated on the '79s, and some hardware is slightly different. The different taillight mounts you noted seem to be more of a 'what's in the parts bin' thing more than a year difference, as I've seen both types of mounts installed on both '78 and '79 standards (the difference is there is a 'euro' type mount that mounted the turns on those bikes, and some were used on the US bikes with the holes plugged. I've got two 78s, and had one of each on them..).

Seat fitment? Well, the '78/79 standard seats don't fit anything else (and none of the others will fit them because of the TCI location, among other things). The '79 Special and all later models mounted the TCI in the same place, so it's other factors that affect fit there, with the biggy being the amount of 'hangdown' on the side of the seat to 'fit' the sidecovers. The '79 Special and '80-81 standards share the same sidecover shape, so that will work, but there's a slight difference at the front where it fits against the tank. The '80-81 Special seats hang down quite a bit further, interfering with the sidecovers on other models, plus having the cutaway for the taillight.

If your seat is squashing your TCI on your '80, it's probably a '78-79 standard seat...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If your seat is squashing your TCI on your '80, it's probably a '78-79 standard seat...
        Yeah Steve, I've come to the same conclusion. Unfortunately it's an aftermarket seat with a plastic pan, so there's no way for me to 'make' room for the TCI. However, it's fine now because the inner fender has given way enough to not be an interference issue anymore.
        So, my search continues for an 80/81 standard seat. (regular or King/Queen I don't care)
        Not that I'm in any hurry to get one. Sure, my current one is ugly and coming apart, but at least it's something to sit on.

The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.

Scarlet
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
          Unfortunately it's an aftermarket seat with a plastic pan, so there's no way for me to 'make' room for the TCI. However, it's fine now because the inner fender has given way enough to not be an interference issue anymore...
          If it's a plastic pan, take a heat gun or propane torch to it; I've done some pretty major reshaping on plastic seat pans that way. Figure out where it's hitting, apply heat, and push in the needed clearance...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Are the 80/81 special seats interchangeable?
            1981 XS1100 Special
            Previous Bikes
            1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
            1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
            1982 Honda CB900c
            1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
            1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Are the 80/81 special seats interchangeable?
              Yes the seats between the 80/81 specials are interchangable.
              They have 3 different part numbers listed:
              4W1-W2472-00-00
              3J6-W2472-00-00
              4RO-W2472-00-00
              But any of these will fit any 80/81 special.
              You can verify with the part finder here: http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/
              Last edited by GLoweVA; 11-02-2011, 09:37 AM.

The Green Monster
              Got him in '04.

Scarlet
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                Yes the seats between the 80/81 specials are interchangable.
                They have 3 different part numbers listed:
                4W1-W2472-00-00
                3J6-W2472-00-00
                4RO-W2472-00-00
                But any of these will fit any 80/81 special.
                You can verify with the part finder here: http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/

Thanks. I am listing a King/Queen seat from an 81sh on eBay and I will state that it will fit a 80gh.

David
                1981 XS1100 Special
                Previous Bikes
                1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
                1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
                1982 Honda CB900c
                1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
                1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by davidsymons53 View Post
                  Thanks. I am listing a King/Queen seat from an 81sh on eBay and I will state that it will fit a 80gh.

David
                  That would be a SH and SG..... That seat will also fit a LG and LH (Midnight Specials).

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...