Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front fork swap with a more modern bike

Here's my thinking (such that it is)...

There is only so much you can do with the 20+ year-old braking technology on our beloved mechanical companions. I was thinking about researching to see if any more modern machines used the same diameter and length forks that the XS11 uses with an eye to swapping forks and having access to updated brake components. I realize that this would also entail swapping wheels, rotors, fender, and the master cylinder from the other bike as well - but if it allowed better braking, I'd be more than willing to do it.

Failing that... how about the entire front end, provided I could find a machine that uses the same steering head dimensions, and I could mantain correct rake and trail?

Just an idea - I'm hoping someone can provide either a reality check, suggestions as to which bikes to look at, or perhaps best of all worlds a way to modernize the existing brakes.

The brakes on the bike are in good shape and do work, and do stop the bike well - but my other ride is a ZZR600, and while I realize I'll never have the XS11 stopping like a 600cc sportbike, I'd like more than what I have now.

Thanks!
    "Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."

Better Brakes

If do not have braided stainless hydraulic lines on your XS brakes you are certainly under-braked. Go that route with rebuild kits in the masters. I was a doubting Tom's about this mod until I put on the stainless. Could not believe the improvement in brake feel, improved pressure to the calipers and just general all round improvement in braking ability.
    It is a lot easier and likely a lot cheaper than switching over a whole front end.
    Ken/Sooke
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

This has been brought up before, it seems if you live in Europe that a 900 Diversion front end swaps right on. Peolple have said that it is similar to a 900 Seca in the US but nobody has checked to see if the front ends will swap to my knowledge. Do a search for Diversion and you will see some of the threads we had on the subject. (and some nice pictures of custom XS's with modern running gear!! )
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I've been thinking about doing this too. If you get there before I do, please post what you find. Otherwise I'm gonna buy a front end off ebay and see what happens. My brake lines are shot too, but I'm looking to do something different.

Dan
        Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

I remember reading somewhere a while back about a mention of an XS with a GSXR front end grafted on. I could not find out any more details on it and don't remember where I read it. I would think that if the steering head bearings are the same size, a complete front end swap may not be too difficult. Have been thinking about trying it some time, maybe I'll do a search on bearing sizes. I would hate to buy a complete front end just to find out I can't use it ( I would probably have to buy a wrecked GSXR to put it on then!)
          buffalo
          80 XS1100SG

Comment

Just DO IT!!!!

I say go for it!!!!!!!!!(but keep it all YAMAHA!!!!!!!)
            Garry
            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

GSXR forks

there is an XS with a GSXR front end on ebay now.
              Travis Miller
              1978 E

Comment

yes, chop away

I saw an xs11 with the gsxr front end on another chop site too. I can officially say that CBR900 and vfr800 rotors will fit on the hub of the xs11 wheel with slight trimming,and are LESS THAN HALF THE WEIGHT of the xs11 rotor. I have drilled xs11 rotors all the way around with stainless lines and this is an amazing improvement.however these things are still a little weighty. When I get the rotors and wheel back from the machinist, I will post pics. BTW, you can use the xs11 caliper also with some slight trimming to fit the cbr/vfr rotors!
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Re: yes, chop away

Originally posted by xschop
                  I saw an xs11 with the gsxr front end on another chop site too. I can officially say that CBR900 and vfr800 rotors will fit on the hub of the xs11 wheel with slight trimming,and are LESS THAN HALF THE WEIGHT of the xs11 rotor. I have drilled xs11 rotors all the way around with stainless lines and this is an amazing improvement.however these things are still a little weighty. When I get the rotors and wheel back from the machinist, I will post pics. BTW, you can use the xs11 caliper also with some slight trimming to fit the cbr/vfr rotors!
                  hey Chop,

Any word on the cbr or vfr rotors? Have you installed them on your bike? maybe a write up of what/where you modded things to fit?

Also, don't know whether you have sold your 80g yet, but if you want to get rid of the stock exhaust on it, PM me .

thanks,
                  Theron
                  Yamaniac
                  '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                  '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                  '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                  '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                  '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Since no one has mentioned it yet, I guess I will. I would try to get a fork assembly from a bike with a similar weight of an XS. If you think about it, One of the reasons that people complain about bad brakes, besides spongieness (that could be fixed with SS lines), is the mass of the bike. A lot of newer bikes yes, have newer and more advanced braking systems, but another reason that you feel it is that the bikes also have less mass than an XS. Rember, the front forks and brakes were designed to handle the weight of the bike. I don't like bieng pessimistic about anything but I am just cautious. If you do find something that works well, let us know. The reason that I would be interested is that the prices of XS parts are going up. Personally, My stock 80G brakes, no SS lines or anything (though that would be nice), provides ample braking power and feel pretty hard. I wouldn't like it any harder. My Dad's 79SF feels weak to me though. I don't know why this is, either it is a design issue or age issue, I don't know. Anyway, that sounds like an interesting project.
                    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

XS11 front brakes are good strong brakes - when they're in GOOD CONDITION!! Like all brakes they gradually deteriate until one day you suddenly realise they just ain't as powerful as they once were! It's the greasy, powdery residue from the pad material that builds up over time, the pads, calipers and rotors are contaminated, even if they look fine at a glance. Strip the calipers and pads, everything will actually be grungy and dirty inside, coated with a greasy layer of road grime etc.. if the discs are drilled, the holes will be caked with grunge inside too. A total strip,clean and polish of all parts along with new pads - makes a huge difference.

Comment

Funny, I just came in from the Motorcycle room to eat dinner. I was working on the fork swap idea. I'm working on using YZF R1 1998/2001 generation USD forks complete. They're shorter and the 17" wheel may cause ground clearance problems? Also the fork offset is quite a bit less, this will quicken the steering and shorten the wheelbase too. The R1 lower triple clamp weighs 1/2 of the XS, the R1 forks will also be stiffer buy a bunch and weigh less (although I don't have the XS forks off yet to check actual weight). The springs can be changed so that's not super hard to deal with. I plan on using longer rear shocks when budget allows, again that will quicken the steering with less rake. That will increase the wheel rate of the softer R1 springs due to the more "vertical" position of the forks. I've swapped out the rear brake for a low mounted SV650/600Bandit caliper. Looks good and weighs less, haven't ridden it yet, finishing it up, gotta put the line on and bleed it. I post weights of these items soon.
                        Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Dying to see some pics of that rear SV brake setup

Comment

Mine is the same?

A friend of mine collects bikes. he has a 1984 Sportster, and the forks are identical.

Floyd
                            '80G

Comment

That sounds like a good idea. Lets see some photos. BTW: gary-- I envy you. You have your own motorcycle room? Wow! Then again, I do have motorcycle parts sitting all over the house. Lets see know: Horns on the counter top next to the couch, alternator in the dining room, and that wiring harness seems to move around a bit, not to mention the helmet on the couch next to me. I guess its like that so I am able to work on my motorcycle in whatever room I am in.
                              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X