In need of a title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of a title

Hello everybody! I bought a 1979 xs1100 special without a title for parts. Well I ended up not using any vital parts so now i would like to get a title for it. In florida there is no vin check for motorcycles. I just had the bike I bought with a valid title transferred over. (which is how i know there is no vin check)

Any way I would like to buy a title off of someone who no longer has a bike to go with it. It doesn't matter if it is a salvaged or rebuild title. If any one has info on obtaining a title for a bike that info would help too. Thanks!

Uhhh, I don't know if you want to do this...

While they may not be doing a VIN check on a straight title transfer, I think you'd be hanging your neck out quite a ways if a LEO decided (for any reason) to check it. Sure, you might get away with it, but otherwise you'd probably be looking at a fine (at least) or possible impounding of the bike (more likely). This could also be a problem if you ever wanted to sell it.

Your best bet would be to find a titled frame and install the parts on that...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

+ 1 on that.

In Ohio, at least, they always do a VIN check if you are transferring a title from out of state, but otherwise they don't check.

Hell, you're lucky in Ohio if you get someone who actually knows that only the frame VIN needs to match the title. A buddy of mine had to argue with someone over his '66 triumph chopper (well, frame is '67).
      82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
      Website/Blog

Comment

Title

I live in Florida also, Fort Myers, and wjile they don't require a ven.# check to transfer the title, they did require me to bring the bike down for a vin.# check to get tags for it If you have a bill of sale, or record of the sale, cancled check ect. I would call the "Main" DMV office (the site offices know "less then nothing") and tell them you need to apply for a title. I am not sure about Florida's req. for one, it is different from state to state, but should just be some paperwork and some $$, (they WANT to take your dollors, they took $500.00 of mine to get trans, tags and impact fee for my Jag XK8, charged me by the LB's and it weighs over two ton's) Worst case is they may ask you to apply in the state of sale (you should be able to do by mail) then transfer to FL. Once you get the title (it will take a little time, but worth not taking the risk of falsifing a govenment document) Once you recive the title, go to the FL DMV web site and copy the page showing the Lic. tags availibule for your bike, 2/3rds down the page is a pic of the "Antique motorcycle tags" for bikes 30+ years old. If you take the pic down and ask for those tags, (take the pic because "they know less then nothing there"they told me the 1st time there was no such thing as antique M/C tags) they cost less, and don't need to be renewed yearly, save $$ and they make your bike look cool with them IMO. Yes, they will tell you they are for shows and to show the bike to people, but aren't we always doing that? I have never had any prob. with Johnny Law with mine
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

If Florida does not require a title to get a tag, do not go through with your plan. Do not falsify a title! Get the tag without a title and apply for it later. I live in Georgia and I'm not required to have a title on old stuff. Most of my vehicles don't have titles. I can sell them without titles. No title, no problem. I AM REQUIRED TO GET VIN VERIFICATION TO GET A TAG. My local deputy does that for me. Maybe FL is similar?
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Title

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            If Florida does not require a title to get a tag, do not go through with your plan. Do not falsify a title! Get the tag without a title and apply for it later. I live in Georgia and I'm not required to have a title on old stuff. Most of my vehicles don't have titles. I can sell them without titles. No title, no problem. I AM REQUIRED TO GET VIN VERIFICATION TO GET A TAG. My local deputy does that for me. Maybe FL is similar?
            Florida is picky, they have had a problem with stolen cars / bikes and illeagals trying to pull all kinds of stuff with cars from Mexico. They "will" want a title and vin. check. Don't know what they would say if you have a "bill of sale" from a state that doesn't issue title's for older bike's. could be a solution to his pronlem
            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Spootinay,

You had best check with your DMV for tag requirements. If Florida will title a bike that was purchased with a Bill of Sale from a state like Florida, there are companies out there that will help you obtain a title. Check with the DMV first.

Marty (in Tampa)
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the input everybody. Looks like I'm going to have to do it the legal way ::sigh:: I found a website that will get a title for me but it's $445 that's more than i got the bike for! I have checked the NCIC database and I know it's not stolen. So there shouldn't be a problem. I just figured grinding off the old vin, building the metal back up, stamping the new vin on and painting the frame (which I'm doing anyway) would be cheaper.

Comment

Title

I've got a clear title for a 79 xs1100 special

Minnesota title. I can send you a reciept from Yamaha for a replacement frame with the title. Replacement frames have no vin number. Than, you'd just have to grind & fill a litte & eliminate the vin from the frame.

$50.00 Let me know
                  Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                  stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                  X