Throttle lub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle lub?

Hi guys, In my on going attempt to get my bike both looking and working like it is 1979 and I am picking it up at the dealer I am doing a step by step restoration, so going throigh the manual it says to make a cardbord funnel and poor oil down the cables. That gave me an idea I thought I would pass on. I took a 20oz water bottle, cut the top 2" off, pushed a philips head screwdriver through the cap and presto, a cheap disposabule funnel that won't leak Now a question, my throttle has been very stiff, besides lubing the cable and carbs, should I lub the handlebar grip inside It is a NOS OEM part I got on Ebay. I have thought, light oil, grease. graphite or even a little wax might make it better Do any of you lub this part or just install dry? Also, when I disasembeled the parts, it looks like there "was" a bushing on the break pull lever as the hole is slightly bigger then the bolt? Was there, and what can I use to replace if needed? thanks

Here are a couple of pic's of my latested "resto" of parts. I know, the chrome like polish finish some have is very nice but Ill be happy if fokes say "that looks like it just rolled of the show room floor" someday I linked these to facebook as photobucket is turning my pis's into thumbnails now

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater
    Last edited by XS1100_OEM4ME; 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

New Funnel

I like the funnel idea. I'm gonna try it on my restore job.

Thanks!!
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

No lube on throttle tube or bars.......clean and dry. If throttle assembly is on too far, the inside of tube will drag on bar-end.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        No lube on throttle tube or bars.......clean and dry. If throttle assembly is on too far, the inside of tube will drag on bar-end.
        Thanks I will be sure and check for some play in there, great point
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

For lubing any cables (throttle or otherwise), get one of these: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-62.html#products (part # 35-0108, third one down). You don't have to buy this from Mikes, most any bike dealer should have one and the required spray can of lube. The spray will blow the dirt/comtaminates out while the lube goes in. Works way better than gravity. A must-have in your tool box IMHO...

Yes, there's supposed to be a plastic bushing on the brake lever; unfortunately, it's NLA, so I dunno know on this. Some of the older bikes used a brass bushing, so maybe a trip to a hobby shop can turn up some brass tube that would work...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            For lubing any cables (throttle or otherwise), get one of these: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-62.html#products (part # 35-0108, third one down). You don't have to buy this from Mikes, most any bike dealer should have one and the required spray can of lube. The spray will blow the dirt/comtaminates out while the lube goes in. Works way better than gravity. A must-have in your tool box IMHO...
            I was planning to get one of these last weekend when my tire ate a spark plug, so I had to save my pennies and do it the hard way. Cycle gear has the tool, but they want $12 for it. You can get the White Lithium Grease at just about any hardware/automotive store for a few bucks. I got it at Home Depot in the tool area next to the air tools. I know the job I did without that tool was not as thorough as it could have been, but it was amazing how much smoother the throttle moved after I lubed it! I did the speedo cable at the same time, and I'll wait to get the tool to do the clutch cable.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Hi Lon,
              yes to the cable lube and the thingie from Mikes or wherever but besides that, look at the cable run. A cable that runs in smooth swoopy curves will run a lot easier than the same cable installed with tight bends so it can be taped close to the frame.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X