No announcement yet.

Advance mechanism question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got the advance cleaned and put back together found broken wire on one of the pick-ups, got that sniped soldered and back together. trimed spark wire ends. with all that said still getting weak spark in 3 & 4. Bad resistor in spark boots? Thinking of removing resistors replacing w/ solid copper, and getting denso IW20 plugs (5k internal).
    Michael Wood - Richmond, VA

1980 xs1100 special
    Pod filters
    3.5" pull back drag bars

Comment

so i didnt relize this but the plugs i got from the auto store are champion RN9YC. 2-4 are black and sooty and 1 is perfect. could the resistored plug and wrong heat range be at fault for this?

1980 xs1100 special
      Pod filters
      3.5" pull back drag bars

Comment

I know there are some who will debate this, but IMHO and experience resistor plugs plus resistor caps won't cause a problem. I avoid them, but mine originally had resistor plugs with resistor caps that were about double stock resistance and it ran good with good color on the plugs, good performance and good gas mileage. I did change the caps and plugs and put the proper non resistor plugs in when I put new plugs in, but it didn't make any difference in how the bike runs or in gas mileage.

That said, if your having problems and have checked the other things (wire ends, cap resistance etc) then it's something that COULD be a problem if your coils are borderline.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

With one reasonably clean plug, not likely coils as you would likely have 2clean plugs. More likely float levels, pilot circuit idle mixture or both......
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

coils ohmd at

02~ohm on the primarys and 14~k at plug wires with boots off.

the resistors in the boots are just on the edge of being out of spec
            6-9k and one is at infinity.

1980 xs1100 special
            Pod filters
            3.5" pull back drag bars

Comment

Well, infinity is out of spec, and 9k is out of spec as well. At those readings I would just replace the plug caps as they are pretty cheap, I picked up mine at cyclegear for like 2.50 each or something like that about 2 years ago. That price may have gone up a little, but probably not much as these are a commodity item. You could probably rehab them, but frankly I don't feel it's worth the amount of work it would take.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Isn't the factory spec on the plug wires 15K? (I remember reading that in the manual) (so, 14k should be Okay)
                The one plug resistor that's reading infinity is... (let me guess) for plug #1?
                2 thru 4 were "black and sooty' and 1 was perfect, so #1 wasn't getting any spark thus didn't have any combustion to 'dirty' the plug.

I second what Cy says and get some new plug boots (without resistors) then you should have good spark on all 4.
                Once that's figured out then you can dial in the carbs to adjust for rich/lean conditions (as read by the plug conditions)
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

Got the resistors removed from the plug boots today, replaced them with 8 gauge wire.. i striped a 12" lenght of 8 gauge wire of its jacket, put one end in a vice and the other in a drill twisted the wire then, i cut to length, then i put the "non-resistor" core in the boots (with out the dinky springs). Now i have full effect on all cylinders.. OMFG!!!

1980 xs1100 special
                  Pod filters
                  3.5" pull back drag bars

Comment

Working...
                  X