Ok here goes, Building a trike for my wife using my 81 xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok here goes, Building a trike for my wife using my 81 xs1100

Ok just got started on my 1st trike build, I am using my 81 xs1100 yamaha. It will be for my wife because she wants to ride not on 2 wheels but 3. So here goes just picked up new to me a motorcycle lift table off craigs list for $250.00 and it is very nice. Put it and the bike in my cellar(we have garage door) so I won't get cold working on it as my detached garage has no heat. Also picked up a 71 plymouth cricket rear end complete with emergency brake cable and handle as well for $80.00 from a junk yard. I am also looking for a fiberglass body for a trike if anyone knows of one. I will also have up for sale some of the parts I take off that I will no longer need. It was a full dresser, venture bags and rear fender with lights and rear tire and hub assembly to start. will try and upload some pics as I go along.

Ok can someone tell me how to upload pics?

Comment

Pic's

Originally posted by DCracer25 View Post
      Here you go:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25233
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Also

You can also post photo's with an http address, like pic's from facebook, just open the pic you want that is not blocked to any viewers and copy the http address from the top of your browser and past to you post on XS11.com
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

pics

here are some pics

Comment

Great a nice trike build here

Incase you were not aware, flip the rear upside down and relocate the vent or rotate the cover if possible (if the vent is on the cover).
            Well unless the Cricket has straight cut gears.

Or build a reverser for the middle drive to rear u joints.

Will keep an eye on this build
            1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

That 81 venturer tank will be nice to have that extra capacity for you trike.

Definitely keep us all up to date and post any parts you plan on getting rid off. A whole bunch of us could use them.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

trike build

Yea I know I have to flip the rear end. but that isn't a real problem. I am thinking of using a set of 16 inch wheels and tires but as of now I am trying to figure out the bikes gear ratio and the rear end as well so I will be close to what I need to make this work. And I will post the parts that I won't be reusing as soon as I can, so I can use the money from the parts to buy what I need to build this bike. Also thinking of using a set of air shocks on the rear, but I need to do some research on that. I am still in the tear down part so as soon as I can start building I will post more pics as I go.

Comment

Yeah, getting the right combo of tire diameter/gear ratio is an issue with these. The XS used a 3.3:1 ratio with a 26.5" diameter tire ('78E), and that's much taller than most car tires. Go smaller diameter, and the motor 'sees' a lower ratio, not helped by the fact that most econo-car ratios are in the 3.5-4:1 range. What you want is about a 3-flat rear ratio, hard to find in the small rear ends. Otherwise you end up with the motor buzzing pretty good at highway speeds....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I got the rear tire and rim off and the swing arm as well today.Here is what I have for sale, ! rear tire and rim, tire so so shape holds air rim really decent. 2 hub and gears for rear wheel, can sell together, 3 rear brake assembly. 4 rear fender and inner plastic fender with turn signals and brake light, all in good shape. 5 saddle bags plus mounts and crash bar. Will sell all in 1 package or piece by piece doesn't really matter, make offer on all or part.

Comment

more pics

Comment

Hold the Sawzall!

Ok just got started on my 1st trike build, I am using my 81 xs1100 yamaha. It will be for my wife because she wants to ride not on 2 wheels but 3. So here goes - - - Also picked up a 71 plymouth cricket rear end complete with emergency brake cable and handle as well for $80.00 from a junk yard.- - -
                        Hi Racer,
                        that's a load of work, build a foretrike instead. Go back to that junkyard and buy the Cricket's front suspension. That and a bunch of square tube is all that's needed.
                        A foretrike conversion keeps the bike 'as is', fancy luggage and all, all the way up to the steering head and if you are clever with the adaptation you can bolt the conversion off again and get the bike back to normal if your wife finds that she don't like it.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

So, I have been interested in a fork trike. What is the best way to attach forks to front suspension? Has anyone done this yet?
                          1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
                          1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
                          1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

trike build

I tried to get my wife interested in the front 2 wheel setup but she point blank said no, she didn't like the looks of them so that is why I am doing it as a trike with the rear end setup. You know the old saying, If the wife isn't happy you ain't happy. I went to the pick a part junk yard today and got the front yoke setup off a 97 ford f150 to hook the rear end to the bikes drive shaft. will half to do a little machine work but it will work fine.

Comment

Working...
                            X