Individual Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual Air Filters

I have recently purchased individual air filters for the XS. I was wondering if anyone has done this mod and is there any fine tuning I will need to do to the carbs, etc?
    Is there any noticable performance improvement after this mod?
    And any other whimsicle thoughts you might have.
    Thanks
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

individual filters

There's a tech tip in progress on rejetting that covers
    a lot of combinations. Basically, just changing one
    thing in the system usually doesn't require rejetting.

But, if you put a hi-flow airfilter in and/or drill holes
    in the airbox, or put on a 4-into-1 header, then
    jetting up gets you more performance and no
    sacrifice of mileage.

New tip should be up before long (right Bill? )
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Hey there Wayne,
      I posed this question a while back on the "old" list, regarding the jetting recommendations, as to whether the rejetting was more required with the older models and older carbs(78-80) vs. the newer years(81-84)??

I have an 81SH, put 4-1 pipes on it a couple years after getting it, no rejetting. Then after my topend rebuild, big bore kit, and Indy filters, again no rejetting done. I have 110 mains across the board, and it runs great, no starving for power up to 8.5k rpm. I couldn't get the carbs as clean as I wanted to after the bike had sat for 9 years...fear of the idle circuit-removing the factory plugs, and a few small jet screws couldn't remove, so...it might be a slight slow from idle to 2.5k, but I rarely run it that low anyways. And the "gurus" say that 4-1 pipes might reduce the lowend torque a little, but enhance mid and top end power!? No hesitation throughout entire band otherwise, mileage is around 30mpg hwy, what I've always gotten.

SO....that's why I wonder about the need to rejet with the newer carbs.....mine has fairly small mains, yet the protocals would have had me put in at least 2 sizes larger !?!?

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ok TopCat what your saying is through your changes you made no changes in the carb jets, I have been thinking about the single air cleaners myself. My engine is the same as yours, the big bore kit notwithstanding, so it seems your saying it shouldn't need a change,,,. Yet the Jet Manual reflects needing a change if you open up the breathing of the engine. Round and round we go. I will just have to do as you have done and give it a try.
        One question I have, ,,,, was your engine running rich before you made the change to the 4-1 and the big bore kit ?

Thanks
        Ken Krieger
        Chesterfield, Va.
        81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
        82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
        82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
        79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
        1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
        85 XJ700 Maxim
        06 VMax - Black Max
        85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Originally posted by kenkrieger
          Ok TopCat what your saying is through your changes you made no changes in the carb jets, I have been thinking about the single air cleaners myself. My engine is the same as yours, the big bore kit notwithstanding, so it seems your saying it shouldn't need a change,,,. Yet the Jet Manual reflects needing a change if you open up the breathing of the engine. Round and round we go. I will just have to do as you have done and give it a try.
          One question I have, ,,,, was your engine running rich before you made the change to the 4-1 and the big bore kit ?

Thanks
          Well, what can I say, it was RUNNING!!! I had not done a thing to it when I put the 4-1 pipes on it, the carbs were stock set at the factory, all I did back then was change the oil and spark plugs! Was getting roughly 30MPG here in Va. combined highway/city and hotdogging....lots of wrist action! So...don't know if it was rich...as far as I can remember the plugs looked normal, but this was back in'83-92 till the tranny died. Then it sat for 8 years. Then did the Indy filters, Big Bore, and attempted to rebuild the carbs as best I could, setting the floats via '80 standards...bowl drain plug screws frozen!!! Just pulled the plugs this pm, nice tan insulators, mild dusty black around lip, electrode clean. This is after the XSeast run and back! 110 mains.

BTW, Compression check still holding at 180, 180,170, 180...according to Mike Hart, that's 12.25 : 1 ratio...YEAH!!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TopCat,wasn't knockin ya,,,,must be someting to do with the bore size change,,,or whatever,the jet guide is only that,a guide,,but it calls for 3 jets sizes for the airfilter change,and then 1 pilot jet change for the 3 jet size change. So I will have to give it a whirl without the jet changes. Experiment like every body else here.
            Ken Krieger
            Chesterfield, Va.
            85 XJ700 Maxim
            06 VMax - Black Max
            85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

The whole deal with re-jetting after adding low restriction components is more power. If one wants their motor to get the most power out of the added components, re-jetting will be necessary.
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks Mr. Z, That makes sense to me. I will have the jets necessary to make the change when I go to the single filters,,,,,,,I understand the flow question. I am just trying to square it with some of the posts here and determine the best course. I realize all machines are different, I work with them everyday. But here he has opened the bore and opened the flow and still is running the same jets, so your point is (if i understand correctly) he is still shy of the power he could be generating if he made the jet changes. ?. With what the carb sites and carb manual I have say he should be running lean with those jets.
                In any event TopCats bike is running well. Mine is as well,,,,,just looking for a little more power, thanks for the carb guide and your return posts here. It has all helped.
                Ken Krieger
                Chesterfield, Va.
                85 XJ700 Maxim
                06 VMax - Black Max
                85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Ken, my individual filters should arrive in the next few days. I didn't order any jets, I want to evaluate plug color first.

In Denny's jetting tip, it DOES say 3 jet sizes for individuals. After you add up all your changes, you subtract one size. Then for any mismatch (in my case, stock exhaust) subtract another 1 size.

So in my case, I'll be looking at possibly going up one size on the mains, depending on plug color.

My plugs are too dark right now, though it doesn't behave like it is running rich (no soggy spots, runs well at altitude), so my plan is to put in new plugs with the new filters and go from there.

I have the carbs off now, they look like new inside; I'll set the fuel level too before I run the bike w/ the new filters.

Comment

WHAT UP MEN,

I AM CURRENTLY RUNNING INDIVIDUAL AIR CLEANERS. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE FROM THAT SET UP IS A NASTY DEAD SPOT BETWEEN 5000 - 6000 RPMS. THAT SHOULD BE GETTING SOLVED SOON. GONNA TRY A JET KIT TO SEE IF THAT HELPS. WOULD WELCOME ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THIS.
                    The wisest men started out as fools and gained wisdom by surviving stupidity.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Hi - turn off your caps lock please, it's hard to read, and is considered "shouting".

Before you buy any jet 'kit', you might want to browse this thread.

Have you checked your float level and synched your carbs?

Have you checked your slide diaphragms for holes/rips?

What exhaust do you have on your bike?

The Jetting Reommendations guide is worth reading, as well.

That's a bad place to have a dead spot, 5000 is when the motor is really kicking in! Is that dead spot there all the time? Is it there at all throttle openings?

Comment

Working...
                      X