80 XS11SG solenoid/starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 XS11SG solenoid/starter

last week my starter began acting up, would activate while riding. This was very unnerving to me when I first noticed ~ all of a sudden I hear a loud whirring from the lower engine, and my scoot-scoot wouldn't shut off! Sucked the power out of the battery, too. Anyways, I took out the starter and replaced with a parts bike starter of unknown condition. That starter must have been shot, because once connected, the bike wouldn't turn at all, but the starter got blazing hot. Put the original defective back in, cause it at least turned.
    But now, I got nothing. Power is good to all lights, battery is strong (keeping it trickled) but no love whatsoever! Could it be the solenoid?

I need some advice,
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Most likely, the starter doesn't have anything to do with being on or off, that is controlled by the solenoid and starter button. If the other starter just sat there and got hot, it probably burned out the solenoid. So at this point you probably need to either rebuild or replace the solenoid to fix the problem, as there is probably nothing wrong with your original starter.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

what's the process for rebuilding? How common is the solenoid to purchase? (I'm in North Georgia and the leaves are turning . . . I need my rod!)
      Mike Farrington
      Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

It would seem to me that you have intermitant contact with the starter button unit. I would disassemble and clean out the assembly.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post
          what's the process for rebuilding? How common is the solenoid to purchase? (I'm in North Georgia and the leaves are turning . . . I need my rod!)
          I am gusssing it is on your 80 XS1100? Here is a link to a new one. Looks like about $125.00 plus S/H

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Here's the rebuild procedure for the 'square' style solenoid; if you have the round style, you may have to drill out some rivets and figure a way to replace them, but the two types work exactly the same....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...lenoid+rebuild
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post
              last week my starter began acting up, would activate while riding. This was very unnerving to me when I first noticed ~ all of a sudden I hear a loud whirring from the lower engine, and my scoot-scoot wouldn't shut off! Sucked the power out of the battery, too. Anyways, I took out the starter and replaced with a parts bike starter of unknown condition. That starter must have been shot, because once connected, the bike wouldn't turn at all, but the starter got blazing hot. Put the original defective back in, cause it at least turned.
              But now, I got nothing. Power is good to all lights, battery is strong (keeping it trickled) but no love whatsoever! Could it be the solenoid?

I need some advice,
              Hi Mike,
              first, test your starter. Clamp it in a vise and touch jumper cables to it's terminals to see if it runs.
              Or you can take the starter to an automotive parts store where they have a test set-up to see how it runs and also see how much current it draws.
              And yeah, I bet your starter solenoid is hooped.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Here's the rebuild procedure for the 'square' style solenoid; if you have the round style, you may have to drill out some rivets and figure a way to replace them, but the two types work exactly the same....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...lenoid+rebuild
                No drilling required on my round one. It actually had the edges of the housing rounded over as "tabs" to hold the coil inside it. I just ground those bent-over edges off, and the coil slid right out. The problem is that the contact surfaces are not "flippable" on the round one. Mine had pitted the copper contact surfaces, so I melted solder into the pitted areas and ground it smooth on all 4 surfaces. When I re-assembled it, I just hammered new "tabs" over to hold the coil in the body and screwed the cap back on. The main thing to remember is to melt and remove the solder on the external connections before trying to disassemble the housing.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks Radical123

It was definately the solenoid. Radical123 sold me a sweet round replacement (clean, and new looking!) for $18 total ticket.

Now I can put my side-cover back on . . . I got real fast at jumping the 'noid!

Peace,
                  Mike Farrington
                  Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

Working...
                  X