To Tear Engine down, or NOT????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Tear Engine down, or NOT????

Hello, All!! Ok, my XS1100F started and ran after 25 years. Did pretty well for that long of sitting. I am doing a restore and right now in the process of getting brakes, so I can see if it drives. I did a compression test, and I measured 120 psi on all cylinders (all within +-10 psi) and I would like to get your opinion on weather or not to do a complete tear down on the engine. Several friends say no, leave it (new engine is 140-150psi). I would appreciate your thoughts.

While 120 psi is a bit low, keep in mind that many owners have reported compression coming up after getting some miles on the bike after sitting for an extended period. So I wouldn't start worrying about it yet. There is a considerable expense in going through the top of the motor (figure $200 at a minimum), and given the difficulty in finding overhaul parts, many just find another motor.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Absolutely not! Those numbers are very respectable especially with a motor that has been sitting for that long.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The only reason I would tear it apart would be for cosmetic reasons. To properly paint parts, they need to be taken apart so the paint does not cover the seams, but if you're not worried about that, then just shine it up and RIDE!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Factory Manual says that the minimum is 128 psi. I'm sure what you have will come up to at least that with some use so I would not be in a hurry to tear it down at this point.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
          X