No announcement yet.

XS1100 Standard Fuel Gauge Component Failures and Adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure how the folks on this forum prefer, bumping an old thread or starting a new one. Sorry if I chose the wrong optiion.

I'm trying to strip the parts off of my standard tank to do the electrolysis rust removal, buy I can't figure out how to remove the fuel level sensor from the tank. I removed the 4 bolts and the gasket was freed easily, but I can't pull the darn thing out. I can rotate it slightly, but I can't get it to slide rearward or come out at all. Any help is appreciated.
    80 G

Comment

Originally posted by oakback View Post
      I'm not sure how the folks on this forum prefer, bumping an old thread or starting a new one. Sorry if I chose the wrong optiion.

I'm trying to strip the parts off of my standard tank to do the electrolysis rust removal, buy I can't figure out how to remove the fuel level sensor from the tank. I removed the 4 bolts and the gasket was freed easily, but I can't pull the darn thing out. I can rotate it slightly, but I can't get it to slide rearward or come out at all. Any help is appreciated.
      It comes out. It really does. Just like you are trying. Nothing special to do
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

It feels like I'm pulling against something, like bending the rod that's caught on something. Should I just pull harder? Or will it slip right out when fenagled properly?
        80 G

Comment

I got mad and hit it with a pry bar and hammer. It came loose. There was some dried white sealant of some sort that had glued the float to the inside of the tank.
          80 G

Comment

Oakback,

Maybe someone creamed the tank and left the fuel sender in it. Did the sealer only stick to the float or was it globbed all over the metal housing and the float arm too?

-- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              Oakback,

Maybe someone creamed the tank and left the fuel sender in it. Did the sealer only stick to the float or was it globbed all over the metal housing and the float arm too?

I only saw it on the float, it wasn't on the other parts. I've also see some of the white sealer stuff while looking through the filler hole, but it's definitely not all over the inside of the tank. The petcocks and their filters looked fine.

I couldn't do the electrolysis, I couldn't (yet) figure out how to seal the hole for the level sensor to keep the water from leaking out. Gorilla tape didn't work so well.
              80 G

Comment

Best bet to submerge in a plastic tub completely then no sealing required.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by oakback View Post
                  ... I couldn't do the electrolysis, I couldn't (yet) figure out how to seal the hole for the level sensor to keep the water from leaking out. Gorilla tape didn't work so well.
                  Oak,

Cut a piece of thin 1/8" or 1/4" plastic or wood to cover the hole for the sending unit.

Drill four holes in the piece to match the four bolt holes in the tank.

Use the four stock bolts and the gasket from the sending unit with the piece and gently tighten the bolts until the hole is sealed and doesn't leak.

Do the same thing for the fuel taps.

Have fun with the electrolysis!

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                  Best bet to submerge in a plastic tub completely then no sealing required.

John
                  That works too!

-- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

My gas gauge works, then some times it doesn't. I have only worked on the sending unit thus far. Soldered a broken wire, took completely apart to clean the U shaped ground spring and ohmed it out and set to the correct ohms.

I didn't know that the gauge also has a wire resistor and such. I guess I need to pull it out and see if I have any intermittent connections!

Any words of advice into getting it apart without damaging?
                    79 XS11

Comment

Working...
                    X