Carb parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb parts

Dissasembling the carbs on my 81 special for thorough cleaning. The little machine screws that hold the butterfly valves on the shaft will not come out without drilling & extraction. anybody know where to find replacement screws? Also, where would I find the little rubber seals that go around the end of the butterfly shafts? Lastly, any tips on cleaning these babbies?

I got mine at the hardware store. Just take one with you so you have one to compare.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Mikes XS has the butterfly shaft seals and the screws available.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by XSLevi View Post
        Dissasembling the carbs on my 81 special for thorough cleaning. The little machine screws that hold the butterfly valves on the shaft will not come out without drilling & extraction. anybody know where to find replacement screws? Also, where would I find the little rubber seals that go around the end of the butterfly shafts? Lastly, any tips on cleaning these babbies?

hi XSLevi,

if u have a dremel, u can grind the back of those screws (there peened over)
        and they'll unscrew,
        if not and ur careful u can undo them in a similar way u would use a tap,
        screw out a quarter of a turn at a time then screw back in until undone.

when replacing those screws if u cant peen over the back of them,
        give them a coat of locktite.

also take note which way the seals sit, the cup faces towards the
        outside.

hope this helps.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks to Rasputin and Pete. Killer tips. Maybe now I can fix the carbs I've hosed up and avoid damaging the remaining units

Comment

Originally posted by XSLevi View Post
            ...any tips on cleaning these babbies?
            Check out this guide to cleaning XS11 carbs with spray carb cleaner - clicky
            Brian
            XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
            Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

I think that is the tech tip I wrote on my website many years ago. (Now a cob-web site). It may have been edited, which is a good thing...
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hi Skids, Thank you for that carb cleaning info

I'll edit the linked post to give you full credit. Is there anything missing or that you want to add ?
                Brian
                XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Naw, I don't really need credit. It was edited a bit and probably made better and really, those things are common knowledge at this point. I took down my personal website, so I am happy that the info is available somewhere.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                  X