Fork issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork issues

Has anyone noticed any problems with the front end being wobbly during a ride after removing the front fender? I removed mine the other day and the front end feels "unreliable".

Yes

The front fender is not only there to keep road stuff from hiting the motor, bike and electronics under the tank, it also helps keep the forks more stable I you want to remove it you can get a fork stablizer from a few different places, Ebay and others (some on here have fav's, so ask them) You will still have water splashing up on all your wireing under your tank and your motor will get dirty quicker, but washing the resister and a hand full of electronic conections will give you some stuff to troubleshoot and learn lots more about your bike, like why you have a front fender
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

The fender acts as a brace for the forks, stiffening them up a little. Tkat makes a nice fork brace.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ok, point taken I replaced the front fender this morning. I knew something was up. The reason I removed it in the first place is....on the front portion of the fender, it is only about a 1/4 in from the tire. I was concerned about rubbing because there was signs of it under the fender. I don't know if the PO put a different fender on or not. I know he replaced the forks (I have the originals in the basement). Oh well, all is good and fender is back on. Back to the grind.

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
          The front fender is not only there to keep road stuff from hiting the motor, bike and electronics under the tank, it also helps keep the forks more stable I you want to remove it you can get a fork stablizer from a few different places, Ebay and others (some on here have fav's, so ask them) You will still have water splashing up on all your wireing under your tank and your motor will get dirty quicker, but washing the resister and a hand full of electronic conections will give you some stuff to troubleshoot and learn lots more about your bike, like why you have a front fender

Like people make it a point to ride everyday in the rain ... How much water do you think it takes to "mess up" your electronics down there? You think the people that made these bikes didnt take into consideration that it might get a little wet time and again ... Its not that serious!
          ~Jay
          Guilty Ones M.C.
          Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
          2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

What bike do you have? What size is your front tire? Where is the tire close to the fender?

Your front tire should not be larger than 100/90-19. 110/90-19 may or may not cause a fitment issue depending upon the manufacturer.

If your bike is a Special, it's possible that someone could have installed a XS650 front tire. This will show as a very close fit at the rear of the tire and normal clearance at the top.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by 'OlGuiltyBoy View Post
              How much water do you think it takes to "mess up" your electronics down there?
              'GuiltyBoy, it doesn't take very much water at all, really.

You think the people that made these bikes didnt take into consideration that it might get a little wet time and again ... Its not that serious!
              Unfortunately, the people that designed these bikes mounted the ballast resistor 'upside down' underneath the fuel tank to allow air to flow over and cool the ballast resistor.

Water will leak past the crimp that is supposed to seal the metal housing where the primary ignition wires are connected and fill the can with water which shorts out the ballast resistor. The short circuit doesn't pull enough current to pop the 10 Amp Ignition fuse, it just boils the water and slow-cooks the ballast resistor, killing the ignition deader than the proverbial doornail.

The 1981 XS11 and the 1982-84 XJ11 don't have a ballast resistor to get cooked like a lobster in its own shell but they do have other electrical components that don't get along well with water.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

And to make it worse, 30+ year old coils and wires don't much like water either, and the wires on these coils are not designed to be replaced. There is a way that someone figured out how to do it, but it's a kludge at best, and has it's own issues. It's better just to keep as much water out of that area as you can, 30 year old electrical systems will thank you for it.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks 3Phase

Thanks 3Phase, I was just trying to help, as you know, if you pull the tank and seat on these, you see a bunch of auto type connections, NO water seal at all These my work fine inside a car where they don't get wet, but I have opened and cleaned mine more then once, they do corrod even with a front fender, although slower then without
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                  1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Sigh ... Guess I'll pass on riding through those torrential downpours
                    ~Jay
                    Guilty Ones M.C.
                    Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
                    2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

You're welcome, OEM, it happened to me when I washed my bike.

Then one of the forum members here, Bobber, called me for help when his bike quit running on the freeway in the pouring rain. He had to get it towed because I spaced out and forgot to have him check for a flooded ballast resistor by just bypassing the resistor.

I rode up the next day and put on a spare that I got in one of those eBay box-o-parts deals but I felt really dumb because you can ride for a short distance with the resistor bypassed without burning up the ignition and I left the poor guy standing in the rain until the tow truck showed up.

Jay, they won't mount exactly kosher but you can turn the ballast resistor and the relays around so they won't fill with water. Pack dielectric grease in all of the relay and harness connectors then make sure they're all fastened so they will stay at a slight angle so the water can drain out of them. Everything will still get wet but it's less likely to slow-cook and burn and you can ride to your heart's content without a front fender as long as you remember to clean and repack the connectors every so often.

I still haven't figured out exactly how it does it yet but if you ride through enough water it will find a way to get into the engine, middle drive and final drive. I've tried everything including sealing the vents but a small amount of water has always managed find a way to get in so have fun in the rain but don't pull a Lloyd Bridges and do anything on your XS that would require a mask and a snorkel.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thats a negative ghost rider, the ballast resistor is bypassed
                        ~Jay
                        Guilty Ones M.C.
                        Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
                        2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Jay

Hey Jay, were not picking on you at all, these bikes are great in their own way, but the wireing and fuse box leave more then just something to be desired And that is coming form a guy who call's himself OEM the transistor ign. and many other things were ahead of their time, and that is why they call it "bleeding edge" When it was all new and working great it was great Now it is 30 years old and great if it all works
                          1980 XS1100 Special
                          1990 V Max
                          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Oh I know, I have the most wonderful sense of humor on the face of this earth ... the majority of parts on my bike are updated/replaced. I have to take into consideration that a lot of people don't have such just yet
                            ~Jay
                            Guilty Ones M.C.
                            Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
                            2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Working...
                            X