XJ Charging System Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Charging System Trouble

I'm running out of ideas to look into with my charging system on my XJ11..
    I've put my carb tuning issues aside once I found some of my valve clearances are pretty far loose out of spec until I can adjust them.

I have pulled the stock reg/rect off and have wired up a couple rectifiers and a voltage regulator from the auto parts store for testing. I seem to get all the save readings as with the stock.

I'm reading between 11.6 - 11.9v at the battery. I get a rise in voltage as I rev the engine up to 4k rpm, but never above 12v.

Values:
    Connector under tank - ~4.4 ohms
    Between slip rings on rotor - 4.1 ohms

Continuity between white wires

The Green and Brown going to the voltage regulator each read ~10v to ground (with the key on).
    The two red wires going to the rectifier each read battery voltage when running.

When running, between two of the white wires I'm reading ~12vac, but when I check between the third, it seems to vary between ~6-10vac.

Am I looking at a bad winding in the stator?

I just realized I can run out and see what kind of readings I get on my '82 XJ650. That would probably give me a good baseline to help me understand what I'm looking for.
    82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
    Website/Blog

Well that can't be good. It looks like I should be getting about 1.5 v at the green wire from the brushes with just the key on...not the >10 v I'm reading..
    Website/Blog

Comment

Prothec.................you gots a bad battery........for a start........
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have run it down a few times trying to get the carbs right. Sounds like I'll be heading to pick up a battery tomorrow.
        Website/Blog

Comment

So I picked up a new battery (AGM) and dropped it in.

I'm using a '70's Chrystler voltage regulator from NAPA:

http://napaautoparts.com/Catalog/Cat...8SB_0164711074

And a couple rectifiers from radio shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062584

For ~$25 I figure this is a good test setup to bypass the OEM reg/rect.

With the key on, I still get battery voltage on each of the green and brown wires I have going to the voltage regulator.. Compared to my '80 XJ650, I get ~1.5v to the green wire until I start the bike and start charging. I have no idea if this is normal for the XJ11, though...

I haven't started the bike quite yet to see what voltage I get with the new battery. I just put the valve cover back on and I'll be reconnecting everything and getting the tank back on later this afternoon so I can try starting it.
          Website/Blog

Comment

After a lot of searching and testing, I think I have a bad stator at this point.

Each of the white wires have continuity to ground. I just pulled the stator off and verified the wires going to the stator are intact as they enter the windings.

I'm guessing with the stator off, you can check continuity to the surfaces around the inside/outside to determine if they're grounded?
            Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
            X